Are Free copies available?

magnus1492

hp envy 10Gb ram/8.1 OS

a couple of years ago I bought a desktop with Win 8.0 and then later with the update

went to Win8.1...problem is, this was a factory load and I had no hard copy (disk) and
I’d like to get a copy of Windows 8.1...OR, should I be looking for Win 8.0 OR, is the
updated version of 8.1 a complete OS? I have the original KEY for my OS
and was wondering if I contact MS, do you know if they will provide me a copy or a download
site or what...any help would be appreciated? I use backup software regularly, but would like a
copy of my OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP/envy 1534
    CPU
    AMD FX-6200
    Motherboard
    M3970AM-HP (Angelica2)
    Memory
    10GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570
    Browser
    Mozilla-FireFox
    Antivirus
    Avast plus Windows Defender
You need a copy of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 now accepts Windows 8 keys. You won't need to input your key, Windows will automatically read the key in the BIOS and install the correct version (Home or Pro). Burn the ISO file to a DVD or extract it to a USB flash drive. The Windows 8.1 ISO file is a complete OS but it will not have any of the programs that originally came with your computer. You can download a copy of Windows 8.1 from here (it is free).

Download Windows 8.1

Your computer should have a program to make a copy of your recovery partition. Look in Programs > HP. I can't remember the name right now but if you look, you should be able to find it. You will probably need a 32GB flash drive. It's the first thing I do when I buy a new computer. Label the flash drive and put it in a safe place. Don't use it for anything else. This flash drive will have Windows 8 and all the programs that came with your computer.

[EDIT]
Before you download Windows 8.1, you should download and run ShowKeyPlus. It will tell you what version of Windows you need to download. This is very important, if you download the wrong version, Windows will not activate. Just as an example, if you need Windows 8.1 and you download and install Windows 8.1 N, it will not activate. The ISO will contain both Home and Pro.

ShowKeyPlus

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Thanks for the info TM.
I don't want to install 8.1, I just want to have a copy as backup by its self...which leads me into Product Key querie...when I go into my settings for Prod. ID it provides me with a 20digit number (5dig. increments) , but I was looking at a Word document I had for Prod. Keys and I have Prod. Key listed for 8.1 64 bit and it's 25 digits long in a Alpha-numeric format 5 dig. increments also and I'm trying to figure out what the latter no. is.
Maybe it was Key for win 8.0 initially when I bought the desktop, but when I upgraded to 8.1, the 20 digit key was given to it. I really don't know. Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP/envy 1534
    CPU
    AMD FX-6200
    Motherboard
    M3970AM-HP (Angelica2)
    Memory
    10GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570
    Browser
    Mozilla-FireFox
    Antivirus
    Avast plus Windows Defender
Your Product ID is used by Microsoft for tech support purposes. It has nothing to do with installing or activating Windows.

Your Product Key is what you need to reinstall Windows. The 25 digit number. Run ShowKeyPlus to see your key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Back