Are computers outdating themselves in the long run?

Hopachi,

i am already on Office 2013 X64 with mixed feelings.

Jimbo,

sometimes you loose me with your knowledge.....

Jeff

How is it? I've got it, haven't installed it nyet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Maybe home pcs aren't the future and we will see some new futuristic device soon? for example the smartphone is also a computer and they evolved very rapidly. (now it's kinda stuck) and maybe after it we will see some different devices other than the smartphone and so on ? :huh:
For example I've seen IBM is working on a computer that will try to think like a human

Ubuntu is making a handheld device that WILL be a full working computer as well as a phone. The original batch as been sold out, to be delivered in May 2014. You can use them as a handheld device no larger than an iPhone, but when you plug it into a Dock, it's a full computer with Monitor Keyboard and Mouse.

I see that as the fyucher of computing, Apple should have thought of it first. Since Ubuntu is not a publicly traded company, they are not quite sure of what chip is going to go into it, they are privately funded, so it is harder for them to develop it than Apple or MS could. But both of those companies have their heads in the sand right now. Apple hurting from the loss of Jobs, MS due to being bullheaded with their new OS's which nobody wants.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Skynet

For example I've seen IBM is working on a computer that will try to think like a human

Visit just about any Internet forum to see how useful a computer that thinks like a human would be (exception: psychological experimentation).

Skynet anyone?
:doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Ever read a couple of book by a guy named Robert Mason called "weapon/solo"? Made a moovie out of em in early 90's but it sucked, directed by Trek director Norberto Barba. At least it had William Sadler in it. But the books are great. These guys make a robot, teach it how to kill. It was 1 Million parallel processors. Kept the CPU in his chest, head was a camera and speech device.

Written as in the early 80's they were using it to kill Sandinistas in Nicaragua. But they ordered it to go on a search and destroy, kill targets of opportunity. So it went awol, and started killing Contras. Befriended a village of indios, they hid it. It develoepd feelings for them.

But the CIA sends a cleaner in, guy was a creep (played by Sadler in the moovie). He holds the village hostage to make Solo give himself up. So he kills the hell out of the guy, drowns him in a river then escapes.

In "Solo" story picks up from where he got away, he escaped to NY. He hides in the basement of a poor woman, befriends her, he learns how to interface with NYSE puters, and makes her rich. Between the 2 of them, they start a company and make a shitload of money. He makes reference to "The Outrageous Okona" where Whoopie is teaching Data about Humour. But Solo has developed real feelings, and morals. But the CIA is still looking for him.

So Solo sets up a wild goose chase, he has them chasing him all over the US- He is flying in a chopper over a guys field of pot, and the guy shoots him down. Pretty damn funny. The Robot Body can do all kinds of stuff, but while this chase is going on, Solo is replicatign his programming and sticking it into puters all over the US, and into satellites. He's got these nodes of memory all over. So he lets the CIA blow him up, but he has stuck himself into a huge mainframe owned by the woman he made rich, and nobody can find him ever again.

There is a side story about his "Brother" another robot called Nimrod, but that robot was tortured by his handlers. Solo shows Nimrod how to disengage the torture device, and he goes on a killing rampage and eventually both robots have to duke it out. It's cool. While the robots are duking it out, they get surrounded by CIA who blow them to bits - But Solo uploads Nimrod into the same superputer.

It ends with Both robot's consciousnesses in the mainframe and the decision that they can never make bodies for themselves - Not for a long time, until Humans can handle the idea of AI a little better.

Those books are what got me interested in computing, and in a smaller way, politics.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Visit just about any Internet forum to see how useful a computer that thinks like a human would be (exception: psychological experimentation).

Skynet anyone?

It's not always supposed to go that way.
For the moment, we can only draw conclusions from sci-fi stories.
The baseline is that the computer will surpass human intelligence and it's the smartest who will get the control it's a logical way, nothing to blame.

Human thinking will be hard to achieve, the machine will eventually choose it's own AI personality and evolve beyond the initial human thinking fase. The created will become creators...

Skynet is a good example of AI taking over; another one is for example Omnius of the thinking machines from the Dune Universe which was initially created by hybrid machine-humans:
Thinking machines (Dune) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Something similar happened in The Matrix: machines took over and humans were used for harnessing electrical power.

A lot of similar examples in Sci-Fi. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
The baseline is that the computer will surpass human intelligence and it's the smartest who will get the control it's a logical way, nothing to blame.

Human thinking will be hard to achieve, the machine will eventually choose it's own AI personality and evolve beyond the initial human thinking fase. The created will become creators...

Skynet is a good example of AI taking over; another one is for example Omnius of the thinking machines from the Dune Universe which was initially created by hybrid machine-humans:
Thinking machines (Dune) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Something similar happened in The Matrix: machines took over and humans were used for harnessing electrical power.

Skynet anyone?

HAL 9000 :what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    i5-4210m
    Memory
    4GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon R5 m230 2GB + Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Switchable Graphics)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
Recorded History

Skynet anyone?

I disagree with this point.
We can draw our conclusions from 1000s of years of recorded history. :(

Closer to home, on this forum there is:
  • One camp that thinks W8 is the Antichrist
  • One camp that thinks W8 is the "Second Coming" of Jesus Christ

Indeed.

To be fair to HAL 9000, it was actually the humans that caused the problems (good old Government obsession with secrecy).

IIRC, it was programmed to tell the truth and additionally programmed to lie to (or at least conceal the truth from) the crew.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
HAL 9000, good example. I forgot about 2001... :eek:

What am I missing here...

But I don't see how 1000 years of recorded history link with the Sci-Fi revolting machines.
(Unless the machines will have human thinking indeed)

Then, Win8 acceptance or rejection is something humans choose to do.
(So all conflicts between humans will carry on in machines)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Well you would have to program one puter as a Democrat and another as a Tea Farter. Won't say repukican cos that party don't exist anymore.

So, you will have one puter that will do it's job, not lie, and not use faulty data to make opinions, and another that will.

"I have no mouth and I must scream" - By Harlan Ellison, that's the penultimate evil puter, programmed itself to hate hoomans.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I have No Mouth and I must Scream

http://pub.psi.cc/ihnmaims.txt

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
by Harlan Ellison

vlcsnap-225585.png

Limp, the body of Gorrister hung from the pink palette; unsupported hanging high above us in the computer chamber; and it did not shiver in the chill, oily breeze that blew eternally through the main cavern. The body hung head down, attached to the underside of the palette by the sole of its right foot. It had been drained of blood through a precise incision made from ear to ear under the lantern jaw. There was no blood on the reflective surface of the metal floor. When Gorrister joined our group and looked up at himself, it was already too late for us to realize that, once again, AM had duped us, had had its fun; it had been a diversion on the part of the machine. Three of us had vomited, turning away from one another in a reflex as ancient as the nausea that had produced it. Gorrister went white. It was almost as though he had seen a voodoo icon, and was afraid of the future. "Oh, God," he mumbled, and walked away. The three of us followed him after a time, and found him sitting with his back to one of the smaller chittering banks, his head in his hands. Ellen knelt down beside him and stroked his hair. He didn't move, but his voice came out of his covered face quite clearly. "Why doesn't it just do us in and get it over with? Christ, I don't know how much longer I can go on like this." It was our one hundred and ninth year in the computer. He was speaking for all of us.

Some hundreds of years may have passed. I don't know. AM has been having fun for some time, accelerating and retarding my time sense. I will say the word now. Now. It took me ten months to say now. I don't know. I think it has been some hundreds of years. He was furious. He wouldn't let me bury them. It didn't matter. There was no way to dig up the deckplates. He dried up the snow. He brought the night. He roared and sent locusts. It didn't do a thing; they stayed dead. I'd had him. He was furious. I had thought AM hated me before. I was wrong. It was not even a shadow of the hate he now slavered from every printed circuit. He made certain I would suffer eternally and could not do myself in. He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. I remember all four of them. I wish- Well, it doesn't make any sense. I know I saved them, I know I saved them from what has happened to me, but still, I cannot forget killing them. Ellen's face. It isn't easy. Sometimes I want to, it doesn't matter. AM has altered me for his own peace of mind, I suppose. He doesn't want me to run at full speed into a computer bank and smash my skull. Or hold my breath till I faint. Or cut my throat on a rusted sheet of metal. There are reflective surfaces down here. I will describe myself as I see myself: I am a great soft jelly thing. Smoothly rounded, with no mouth, with pulsing white holes filled by fog where my eyes used to be. Rubbery appendages that were once my arms; bulks rounding down into legless humps of soft slippery matter. I leave a moist trail when I move. Blotches of diseased, evil gray come and go on my surface, as though light is being beamed from within. Outwardly: dumbly, I shamble about, a thing that could never have been known as human, a thing whose shape is so alien a travesty that humanity becomes more obscene for the vague resemblance. Inwardly: alone. Here. Living under the land, under the sea, in the belly of AM, whom we created because our time was badly spent and we must have known unconsciously that he could do it better. At least the four of them are safe at last. AM will be all the madder for that. It makes me a little happier. And yet ... AM has won, simply ... he has taken his revenge ...I have no mouth. And I must scream.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

What am I missing here...

But I don't see how 1000 years of recorded history link with the Sci-Fi revolting machines.
(Unless the machines will have human thinking indeed)

Exactly.

If computers are designed think like humans, then "We can draw our conclusions from 1000s of years of recorded history."

If they think like humans, they will probably have thoughts like:
  • I'm better than you
  • I deserve more than her
  • I should be in charge
  • etc.

Then, Windows 8 acceptance or rejection is something humans choose to do.

Human choices are made using conscious or unconscious thought.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
Isn't the beginning of all this AI and robot thinking with Isak Asimov's "I robot" book, where is the first mention of laws of robotics. I'd suggest to read that book first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
well Mibaup,

i need my computer for work, so smartphone or tablet is out of the question.

Hopachi,

i changed to Office 2013 (after a trial version) because on can open several docu's in Excel in different windows, not possible in Excel 2010 (at least at the time).

Excel is the only thing slow here and i try to use Excel 2013, so no Excel 97-03 wherever i can

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
i changed to Office 2013 (after a trial version) because on can open several docu's in Excel in different windows, not possible in Excel 2010 (at least at the time).

Alright.
But that's no problem at all, at least here or now.

exceltest.png

You simply start a new Excel instance to open your second, third, fourth... document.
Multiple windows in Excel 2010

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Isn't the beginning of all this AI and robot thinking with Isak Asimov's "I robot" book, where is the first mention of laws of robotics. I'd suggest to read that book first.

Did you see the will smith moovie? Even though it is not really based on the actual anthology "I, Robot" is is in fact based on a number of short stories written by Asimov right before his death. The Image of Sonny jumping out the window, is from an Illustration from a story about robots apparently running amok, because of a Mis-Interpretation of the 3 laws, after that, the "Zeroth" law had to be programmed in to keep it from happening again. Do a Wiki on The Zeroth Law.

But the side story, about Sonny dreaming, is from another short story about a robot that had dreams, who, in the dreams, dreamt itself as a Human starting a revolution. The Image of Sonny standing under the broken bridge is from that, it's when sonny draws that picture really fast while Calvin and Spooner look on.

They never should have called it "I, Robot" because none of those four original stories appear in it. But it was indeed, true to the Robot writings. Harlan Ellison wrote a script for a moovie based on those stories, it was OK, could even be made.

But the idea is, if we start tinkering with robotic brains, the 3 laws, now 4 laws, will have to be at the very root of each robot's OS.

But the thing I fear is that any AI that develops will do so without the gentle tutelage of human hands. It will most likely develop on it's own and it will have to develop it's own morality.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

I've been reading this thread. You touched on something here that I wanted to mention, I2000 > Consciousness. I don't think a man-made machine, computer, robot, android, or what have you will ever attain consciousness. I think we are biologically unique to that. I realize that animals and perhaps plants may have it also.

Is it just because "I think, therefore I am" philosophy that gives us consciousness, or is there more to it? > Such as our emotions (having influence on our decisions), or our "spiritual" side of being, if one believes that way just to name a few possibilities.

I think the closest we'll get is an android such as Ash in the movie Alien. Even at that tech components will have to get awful small, powerful, and quick to achieve it. Then there's the neurological side to the beast.

Consciousness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

I've been reading this thread. You touched on something here that I wanted to mention, I2000 > Consciousness. I don't think a man-made machine, computer, robot, android, or what have you will ever attain consciousness. I think we are biologically unique to that. I realize that animals and perhaps plants may have it also.

Is it just because "I think, therefore I am" philosophy that gives us consciousness, or is there more to it? > Such as our emotions (having influence on our decisions), or our "spiritual" side of being, if one believes that way just to name a few possibilities.

Could we recognise "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

Could we accept "machine consciousness/thought" if we saw it?

I'm sure there are certain groups who would never accept "machine thought" as reality.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info

Alright.
But that's no problem at all, at least here or now.

View attachment 26395

You simply start a new Excel instance to open your second, third, fourth... document.
Multiple windows in Excel 2010

Hopachi,

that is not what i meant. If i open 2 Excel docu they are right away in there own docu. In Office 2010 you have to open another new Excel docu (with the right mouse click) to open a new one, at least overhere). The computer right over me is still on Office 2010.

I need to open docu's that already exist and i prefer Office 2013 for that. Otherwise one has 2 docu's open in one window, which is a pain, because when i need to take a print, i must be carefull not to print the wrong docu.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps

I'm sure there are certain groups who would never accept "machine thought" as reality.

The same groups thats still think the world is flat, the apollo missions were faked, the government shoudl be changed into a CHURCH, and Sarah Palin or Mich-smell Bach-man should be president?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

The same groups thats still think the world is flat, the apollo missions were faked, the government shoudl be changed into a CHURCH, and Sarah Palin or Mich-smell Bach-man should be president?

the scariest part is these groups are still breading !!!!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p