Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

Fix Store Apps and Tiles that are Not Working or Responding in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
In many cases, the Windows Store will automatically notify you if there’s a problem with an app and try to fix the problem.

If the Store doesn't notify you of the problem, then this tutorial provides you with a list of troubleshooting steps to follow to fix your modern screens, apps, and tiles that do not open, work, or respond in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.

Note   Note
Start at and do step 1 to see if you need to continue with the other steps or not. Sometimes step 1 will be able fix this without you having to do anything else.

Be sure that the affected app is completely closed before testing to see if works after applying a step in the tutorial below.

If not, then proceed to troubleshoot using the other steps.

Step 27 to refresh Windows 8 should be used as a last resort.

Here's How:

1. Run "Windows Store Apps" Troubleshooter
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to run the "Windows Store Apps" troubleshooter. This tool can automatically find and fix some problems with apps. It is only available in English, but will work in all languages. You can let it automatically attempt to repair any found issues, or select what repairs you want to have done.​

2. Activate Windows 8
Windows 8 will need to be activated before the Store and apps will work. Check to make sure Windows 8 is still activated. If Windows 8 will not activate online, then you can activate by phone instead.​

3. Broken "Change PC settings" and cannot open PC settings

4. If using a Proxy
If you use an Internet proxy server that requires authentication, you may encounter problems when you use apps that connect to the Internet.​

5. Restart the PC or Restart Explorer
If the explorer process is running elevated (ex: restarting explorer with elevated .bat file), then all modern UI (aka: Metro) screens and apps cannot open. Instead, you would get the "This app can't open" error message below. Restarting the PC or explorer will have the explorer process run unelevated again.​
Apps_elevated_explorer.jpg

6. Cannot be Signed in to the Built-in Elevated "Administrator" Account
When you are signed in to an elevated account like the built-in Administrator account, the Store and apps will not work. Instead you would need to sign in using a Microsoft account in step 7 below.​

7. Use a Microsoft Account
If you are not already, you will need to either be signed in to Windows 8 or the Store with a Microsoft account to be able to download and install apps from the Store belonging to that Microsoft account on the current account, or to be able to use an app (ex: SkyDrive) that uses a Microsoft service.​

8. Set Screen Resolution to a Minimum of 1024 (width) x 768 (height)
The Store and apps require a minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher to work.​

9. Connect to the Internet
To be able to have live tile updates, install, or update Store apps, you will need to have an active internet connection.​

10. Enable User Account Control (UAC)
UAC must remain enabled. You DO NOT want to use the old Windows 7 and Vista method of setting the EnableLUA registry DWORD to 0 (zero) to completely disable UAC. If you disable UAC using that method in Windows 8, it will prevent Store apps from being able to run until you either set EnableLUA back to 1 or turn UAC on, then restart the computer to apply.​

11. "Your purchase couldn't be completed" Error in Store
If you get this error when trying to download or purchase an app in the Windows Store, click/tap on Cancel, double check to make sure that the Windows Update service is enabled (started) and set to "Manual", and try again.​
Your_purchase_couldnt_be_completed.jpg

12. Enable and Start "Windows Firewall" Service
Even if you have a 3rd party firewall program installed, the Windows Firewall service must always be set to "Automatic" and running (start), or it will prevent you from installing and using any Store apps.​

13. Set Apps to be Trusted in 3rd Party Antivirus and Firewall Programs
If you have a 3rd party AV or firewall program installed, then check it's settings to make sure that app.html, wwahost.exe, and any Store app not working is set to be allowed or trusted. If the AV or firewall program has the app as untrusted, then it will block and prevent the app from opening and connecting to the internet.​

14. Set Correct Time and Date
Check to make sure that you have the correct time and date and time zone set for your PC, sync with internet time, and restart your PC.​

15. Re-register all Modern Apps
When a modern app will not load or open, it may just need to be registered again to fix it.​

16. Update your Apps
Keeping your Store apps up to date with the latest version is one way to make sure that they keep working. These updates contain important bug and security patches. You’ll see a notification in the Store whenever an update is available for your app.​

17. Re-register the Store
This is to re-register the Store app to fix the Windows Store when it has the following issues below in your account in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.​

• [*=1]After upgrading to Windows 8.1, the Store may not start at all.
    [*=1]PC settings doesn't open.
    [*=1]When you try to open the Store, it shows a progress ring, but never finishes loading.
    [*=1]The Store tile on your Start screen still shows the number of available app updates when there's actually not any available.
18. Clear Store Cache
If you are having issues with installing or updating Store apps, then clearing the Store cache to reset it may help allow you to afterwards.​

19. Sync App Licenses
If a license for an app is out of sync with the license installed on your PC, the app might stop working.​

20. Error Code: 0x80073cf9 while Installing App in Windows 8 and 8.1

In Windows 8 and Windows RT, check to see if you have the C:\Windows\AUInstallAgent folder. If you do not, then create a new folder named AUInstallAgent in your C:\Windows folder, restart the PC, and try installing the app again.​
In Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1, check to see if you have the C:\Windows\AppReadiness folder. If you do not, then create a new folder named AppReadiness in your C:\Windows folder, restart the PC, and try installing the app again.​

21. If apps fail to start if default registry or file permissions modified

22. Turn Off "Morphological Filtering" in Catalyst Control Center (CCC)
If you have AMD graphics with the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) video drivers installed, then double check in CCC to make sure that you have Morphological Filtering unchecked to be turned off. It has been reported as causing issues with some apps being able to open when turned on.​

23. Uninstall and Reinstall the App
If your apps are up to date (step 16) and the licenses are synced (step 19), you can reinstall the app in to try to fix the problem.​

24. Run a SFC /SCANNOW Command
This will scan for and attempt to automatically repair any corrupted or modified Windows system files.​

25. Contact the App Publisher
If you’re still experiencing problems with an app, use the support info listed on the app’s description page to contact the app publisher for help.​
To do so, search for the app in the Store, click/tap on the app in the Store, click/tap on Overview, then click/tap on the support link for the app under Learn more.​

26. Do a System Restore
Doing a system restore using a restore point (if available) dated before you had this issue may be able to undo the cause and fix the issue.​

27. Refresh Windows 8 or 8.1
Refreshing Windows 8 should be used as a last resort. A refresh will keep all you personal data, modern Store apps, important settings from the PC, and reinstall Windows. A refresh will not keep any installed desktop programs. See link for more details.​

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• contact_app_publisher.jpg
    contact_app_publisher.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,018
  • CCC_Morphological_filtering.jpg
    CCC_Morphological_filtering.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 38,892
  • Windows_Store_Apps_troubleshooter.png
    Windows_Store_Apps_troubleshooter.png
    19 KB · Views: 433
Last edited by a moderator:
Brink - any idea of how to effectively copy all of my programs, docs, settings, etc over to another user profile so I can delete my old one? I didn't see anything in the user profiles section of the forums.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Tutorial updated to add option number 20. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Today, after having all kinds of permissions errors with my Temp folder that prevented Dropbox from running, I now can not load any Metro apps. They all start up by opening their splash screen and then immediately close.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus N550JV-DB72T
    Graphics Card(s)
    nNidia GeForce750M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (2) Asus VN247H-P
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
Hello Dick,

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to undo and fix it for you. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Add this fix:
Check your network connection, if you have google DNS server try remove it or put your gateway IP. I had this before problem but after I remove google DNS server (8.8.8.8) and I changed it to my router IP it fix the problem and windows store started

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I recently had a power outage from a storm and noticed a lot of things have changed on my computer. The biggest one is that my tiles aren't working, another problem is my file explorer won't stay in it's position, it keeps resetting to the middle of the screen after closing and re-opening it. I have done nearly everything here. I can't go back to a restore point because there is no point behind the date this error occurred, and I can't do a system refresh because it gives me an error afterwards. I have tried to uninstall and re-install an app from the store, but it only gives me an error at the end of the installation. (Which means I can't install Windows 8.1). Why did this happen all of a sudden?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hello Iamfullyshibe, and welcome to Eight Forums.

What is the full error message when you try to refresh or reset Windows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I don't understand at all. I had this problem last week and tried some of the methods here and got the apps to work again (although I'm not sure was it me who did it, or did they just randomly start working again), but today the problem is back again! I don't understand why this keeps happening, it seems like some days the apps work but then some random days they won't open. What could be the cause of this, do any of you know? Can it be a bug that came from a Windows update, because I think these problems may have started after un update maybe about two weeks ago, or is it something else?

Edit:

So I ran the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter and I can now open the Windows Store again, but the other apps (like games and camera) still don't work. The problems the troubleshooter found were "Service Registration is missing or corrupt" (not fixed), "Windows-store's cache may be damaged" (not fixed), "windows store configuration may be damaged" (identified) and "Some privacy-settings are missing or have been changed" (fixed). Some of these may not be word for word correct because I had to translate them from my language to put here, but you probably get the idea. Any thoughts what this may mean? :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hello Helmi,

Continue down the listed items. You might see if doing numbers 16-18 first may help though. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
After a "hard crash" due to power outage, it's really messed up my system. I am having this problem with the app tiles. The only thing which is working now is the Windows Store after doing a reset. The SFC/Scannow turns up nothing; I've followed all the other steps & directions & still nothing. Uninstalling & re-installing the app's does not work. The app's don't uninstall [uninstaller not appearing]. The app's used to list in iobit uninstaller under "windows 8 app's" but now none of them appear. If I try re-installing from the Windows store I can't install the app's because it says they're already in my system. As a last resort I was going to do a system refresh, but this told me that my image drive is locked. idk what that means & I'm nearly losing my mind. Been 3 days going over Eight forums guides to elevated command prompts & running system diagnostics...nothing is re-setting my app tiles. It's like I'm locked out of everything, only after this power failure. I've gone through the same exasperation with "system restore". Reading everything on both these issues...my system restore doesn't restore, just sits at "initializing" til infinity...I've gone into the control panel & checked to make sure all the file permissions are set at "read & write" under the "all applications packages". All the file permissions seem correct. I've followed other tutorials which said to log in as an administrative user & do elevated command prompts. Still no errors or problems...yet I can't get my app's to open. They flick & then nothing.

I tried the gpresult/hc:\gpreport.html

nothing was revealed...nothing showed. I'm at my wits end...please advise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 23
    CPU
    AMD A6 5200 APU
    Motherboard
    ??
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 8400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23 " led back-lit flatscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 landscape
    Hard Drives
    1TB HDD
    PSU
    external black box
    Cooling
    fan located inside device
    Keyboard
    HP wireless chiclet style
    Mouse
    HP wireless optical mouse
    Internet Speed
    6.02 mbps download .62 upload (Bell sympatico/Fibe 5)
    Browser
    Comodo Dragon
    Antivirus
    AVG 2014
    Other Info
    dual layer optical drive. DVD/RW/CD; 6 in 1 card readers, 6 USB ports...3-2.0, 3-3.0.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I'm not sure how to do that, a system restore at boot? My computer just boots up...I'm still l'm still really new to technical issues with Windows 8.1; just read why I can't do a system refresh from my recovery drive on a "tech" info. site. Says once you've upgraded to Windows 8.1, if your computer came pre-loaded with Windows 8; your recovery drive is "locked" after the upgrade & you can't get it. According to the cnet post the guy jokes about it being fodder for a lawsuit. It seems I'm locked out of restoring my system unless I have a Windows 8 bootable disk or flash...unfortunately I didn't do that before the upgrade [which the article says you should], I did the recovery drive with the Windows 8.1. But this business with the app tiles suddenly not responding (per say). I've checked all the permissions. Everything is set correctly...still nothing.

I read further tutorials on the system restore stuck at initializing, it said to check the volume shadow copy is on. I checked, it was off, so I restarted the service but this has not enabled me to do a system restore.

Another thing I noticed has happened [don't know how] & I can't undo...under my system services the DCOM & Remote Procedure Call are greyed out. I can't select to set them to automatic nor can I restart the services because they're greyed out.

I've also just noticed that my VSS (volume shadow copy) keeps shutting off. It's set to automatic, I just enabled it again...idk why that's happening either when I'm not in my systems services turning it on & off. It's essential to the system restore feature...I have very few restore points & have wondered about that...it seems my system only sets restore points back 3-4 days, prior to that everything is wiped out. Idk why, I'm not doing anything to eliminate restore points. I'm so confused. None of this was occurring when I got my computer last year....only after I upgraded to Windows 8.1 did this begin happening.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 23
    CPU
    AMD A6 5200 APU
    Motherboard
    ??
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 8400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 landscape
    Hard Drives
    1TB HDD
    PSU
    external black box
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Comodo Dragon
    Antivirus
    AVG 2014
    Other Info
    dual layer optical drive. DVD/RW/CD; 6 in 1 card readers, 6 USB ports...3-2.0, 3-3.0.
The link I posted above can help show you how to do a system restore at boot.

You'll basically boot from the 8.1 recovery drive (usb) that you created, to do so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I thank you so much Brink...I can't express, enough, my appreciation & gratitude for the information you provide or for Eight Forums in General. It's been such a life line in a sense...whatever can & could go wrong. This is my one & only, mainline for help! If I could HUG you & EIGHT FORUM I would....are you the creator of this?

Anyhow...the suggestion of the "system restore" from boot, it WORKED!!!! First time in like 9 months I've been able to do a system restore! I thank you so much...some of my live tiles that were GONE have reappeared....AHHHHH, My app's are OPENING NOW....OK, that's it, I could KISS YOU! :thumbsup: I'm BACK to normal....:what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 23
    CPU
    AMD A6 5200 APU
    Motherboard
    ??
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 8400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 landscape
    Hard Drives
    1TB HDD
    PSU
    external black box
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Comodo Dragon
    Antivirus
    AVG 2014
    Other Info
whooo hoooo....the system restore also undid whatever it was that caused the DCOM & RPC services to be STOPPED. YAY! Thanks so much for this simple but useful tip that has helped me undo whatever system changes caused this super headache of a problem...I can't reclaim the 2-3 days; day & night I've spent at this & in 5 minutes your suggestion DID it! Again, I'm hugging you with gratitude!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 23
    CPU
    AMD A6 5200 APU
    Motherboard
    ??
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 8400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 landscape
    Hard Drives
    1TB HDD
    PSU
    external black box
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Comodo Dragon
    Antivirus
    AVG 2014
    Other Info
You're most welcome 2mindless. I'm glad it was able to help. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Thanks for this Tutorial. Out of the blue, none of my store apps (W8.1) would start. The screen would flash and an icon would appear in the taskbar but the apps would not open. I ran step 1 ("Windows Store Apps" Troubleshooter). It reported some things were repaired and some things were not. I rebooted and all is well!
Tom

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell XPS 14z, Dell XPS M1330
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Series, Samsung 830 Series, OCZ Vertex 4
You should add this solution (Powershell):

Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Intel NUC
    Memory
    16GB
    Browser
    Firefox Nightly
You should add this solution (Powershell):

Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Thank you warmth. I added this for re-registering all apps as step 15. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,