Solved Anyone figured out the disappearing restore points problem

I wonder why your usage is so much smaller than mine. Maybe I'm using more disk space for my files. I'm using about 60GB for my data and installed programs (not including the OS). At any rate, I'm satisfied that everything is working ok.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 660
    CPU
    I5
    Memory
    *GB
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Norton
I'm only using 22 gig, but you have to account for files in "Program Data" also "Program Files (x86) if you have a 64 bit OS. Plus "Appdata" Local, Locallow, and Roaming - Not to mention any accounts made by GeForce drivers which are used for their updates - Also ASP.net and I have Dot Net Legacy 4 and 4.5 folders. And, some Document files do get sent there too, even though they are not supposed to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I realize that this thread is almost 2 years old, but the problems are the same.

Win 8.1
I have three things misbehaving.
1. Restore points disappear
2. Allocated space changes on its own
3. Restore hasn't worked out of the box.

1. I can create several points and they all stay until I reboot or some other actions occurs that I'm not aware of.
2. Increased allocated space to 20% (about 37gig) and it seems that it has a mind of its own as it reverts to the1%. When this happens the points are deleted. Haven't figured out the cause.
3. Restore has never worked.

I have turned off restore, rebooted and reset the allocated space and then turned back on ... no change. I am fairly sure that the deletion is done because of the space reset ... at least it appears to be that way for me.

Have done a thorough malware/spyware run with several apps, AVG Security running all the time. None of them have picked up anything that would seem to be the cause.

Is there a registry setting for the allocated space? Perhaps a hard edit would do the trick.

Suggestions??

EDIT: In the window for the drives you want to turn on for restore, I have C:, D:, and a folder named RESTORE. What is that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K200MA/X200MA
    Memory
    4gig
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touch
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    AVG Security
I'm wondering if this could be a possible hardware issue. Could be a problem with the hard drive, that may not be showing up.

If possible, if you have a spare hard drive handy, and a Windows Installation disk, you could probably install a clean copy of Windows, but do not activate it, use for testing purposes, and see if the problem duplicates even with a fresh copy of Windows.

System restore should run fine on a clean copy, and settings should stay the same, however, if a clean copy behaves the same as your current system, then it would be a possible hardware issue, "Memory, Motherboard, etc"

If you see a folder, or partition named RESTORE, then it could be a possible recovery partition maybe?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY NVIDIA Geforce GT 630
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I don't think it is a hardware or mem issue. Everything else is working just fine. I am not the only one with restore not working. In fact, MS posted a kb fix for restore issues. I have that kb installed.

I don't have a Win disk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K200MA/X200MA
    Memory
    4gig
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touch
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    AVG Security
Update....

I turned on Volume Shadow Copy and all appears to be OK. Have done cold boots, restarts, added restore points and allocated space remains at set 20% and all restore points created are still there.

I read a thread on this site or another, don't recall, that stated that Volume Shadow Copy was no longer part of 8.1, as it was replaced with File History. In my case, that isn't true.

It appears at this time I have a fix .... :)

UPDATE:
Well that didn't work. :( :( So, where to from here??

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K200MA/X200MA
    Memory
    4gig
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touch
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    AVG Security
hmm, still interesting. I don't have that problem. I have a 250 gb Western Digital drive, ASUS P5K Pro with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Windows 8.1 is running with the MBR. I wonder if it may have something to do with a problem with the GPT file system that the UEFI systems use. As I don't have a UEFI system as of yet, that's hard to determine.

Wow, I hope a fix is found. That would kind of be annoying if I upgraded to a newer UEFI system, and end up having a problem like that.

I have mine set at 25%, which is 18.22 GB set for restore points, and I currently have 9 restore points to choose from, since early January, And its only using 13.22 GB for the restore points I do have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY NVIDIA Geforce GT 630
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Since I am not having any luck with the MS version of Restore and the restore points disappearing I have another question.

Is there a 3rd party app that will create restore points and store that info in a diff location that in System Volume Information?

I have made drive backup, but that seems kind of a long process if I install an app or a malware that creates a little system heartburn and I just want to do the old traditional restore that worked so well with XP.

I have also exported the registry.

Suggestions??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K200MA/X200MA
    Memory
    4gig