anyone else with nvidia driver problem windows 8.1?

dirtyvu

Power User
I recently got an GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST card a couple weeks back. I think right after I upgraded from windows 8 64-bit to windows 8.1 64-bit.

it was running well for awhile. But after some updates, now videos will stutter badly even after reboot. After updating to the latest driver, I've had nothing but problems. Had to resort back to an ancient AMD graphics card I had which returned perfect video playback.

Any workarounds? i might get around to installing an old nvidia driver set. I had just upgraded to 331.65.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Hi dirtyvu,

Don't have that card so I can only make generic suggestions which you most likely have already tried:

Check for BIOS updates.

Check for GeoForce firmware updates (EVGA just released one in May). Note: You can compare your version to others with the same card here: Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

Try a clean install.

Uninstall your current driver and see if one is available via an optional Windows Update download (not a permanent solution but worth a try)

Good luck.

my2cents

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Windows Update had a new driver today (the same as the latest on the nVidia site). Have you tried that version and did it help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Professional
alright, what I ended up doing was installing the graphics driver, audio driver, and PhysX. I skipped the Geforce Experience, the 3D vision stuff, etc.

Now, everything is running as it should...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Hi dirtyvu,

Glad you got it running properly and how you did it will be very useful to others with a similar issue. With that said, I have bookmarked this thread for future reference. Nice job my friend!

my2cents

Just a followup thought. I wonder if getting the driver from Windows Update might have also fixed your issue (as previously suggested) because they only offer the bare-bones version?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Hi dirtyvu,

Glad you got it running properly and how you did it will be very useful to others with a similar issue. With that said, I have bookmarked this thread for future reference. Nice job my friend!

my2cents

Just a followup thought. I wonder if getting the driver from Windows Update might have also fixed your issue (as previously suggested) because they only offer the bare-bones version?

yes, I believe that you were probably right on that. I just like having a full Nvidia control panel for more functionality. thanks for the help!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Ok, thanks for that followup friend!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Nvidia Issues with Windows 8.1

I recently got an GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST card a couple weeks back. I think right after I upgraded from windows 8 64-bit to windows 8.1 64-bit.

it was running well for awhile. But after some updates, now videos will stutter badly even after reboot. After updating to the latest driver, I've had nothing but problems. Had to resort back to an ancient AMD graphics card I had which returned perfect video playback.

Any workarounds? i might get around to installing an old nvidia driver set. I had just upgraded to 331.65.

Also make sure you have updated your chipset. You can usually find those types of updates from your computer manufacturer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
Reactivating this 2013 thread

Hi guys,
I've recently assembled a gaming beast but was retarded enough to have installed windows 8.1 64bit in it together with the nVidia GTX980. If I do not install any video drivers, the system keeps on running for hours but once the driver's installed, the system randomly halts, makes an annoying buzzing sound for 2-3 seconds and then restarts.

I've tried more things than I have the patience to - need some expert advice.

Nadeem

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    i7-5820k
    Motherboard