another uEFI Problem Linux Envolved

ProtoType

Google Master
Hello, If anyone is Familiar with uNetBootIn, or YUMi which are used to stick linux distros and iso's to USBthis might make sense.

I successfully got BackTrack5 r3 onto my USB with Both YUMI and uNetBootIN, but neither one works with windows 8.

I can't boot from them through the shift+restart method, or through the f9 boot maganager.

I'm using an HP-Envy m6, and really need to get this problem fixed, so I can boot Linux on my PC.

I really don't get why windows 8 now takes full control of the hardware, and BIOS now...

Yes, fast boot time is awesome, but I'd rather have the simple f9 or ESC method to get into bootable devices. Anyway to fix this?

Sorry there was some topics on this but they were just too long and jumpy to understand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Microsoft
    CPU
    i5-3210M
    Motherboard
    m6 1125dx
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 4000
    Sound Card
    Beats Audio
    Hard Drives
    750GB
    Case
    Hp
    Cooling
    Dry Ice and fridge
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dead
    Internet Speed
    Almost hit 2kbps
    Other Info
    I'm trying to get win8 onto iPad as main OS

Have an Hp Envy Laptop
You don't get it because it doesn't happen.

It is impossible for an OS to control the BIOS boot. This happens before the OS loads. You need to configure your BIOS to support your boot methods, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows 8 or any other OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Make sure that your bios is set to allow boot from usb removable drives. On my system repeatedly hitting F8 as it tries to boot gives the boot devices option menus.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
I press f9 to go into boot manager, but all it let's me do is look through the files on the USB drive.

It won't let me boot from it.

uEFI says the USB failed to start. Only option is to restart windows.

BIOS doesn't seem to have the options to enable/disable USB booting.

It is impossible for an OS to control the BIOS boot

I meant that it just skips the few seconds you have to get into BIOS, not that kt actually controls the BIOS. Sorry I realize it sounds weird.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Microsoft
    CPU
    i5-3210M
    Motherboard
    m6 1125dx
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 4000
    Sound Card
    Beats Audio
    Hard Drives
    750GB
    Case
    Hp
    Cooling
    Dry Ice and fridge
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dead
    Internet Speed
    Almost hit 2kbps
    Other Info

Have an Hp Envy Laptop
I have a brand new hp dv7 and after a lot of screwing around I've got it to run Linux mint 14 exclusively off of a USB stick.

I disabled secure boot and enabled legacy, also set my first boot option to my DVD drive.

Reset the computer and downloaded
Linux and made an install DVD.

Plug your USB you want I install it on into your computer.
Reset it again, press F9 and boot from the DVD.

Now install using the option "install alongside windows 8"
It may ask you to unmount a drive... Choose yes.
And when it asks you where to install it choose the USB stick.

It will ask you to partition/allot space for the install. I split my 32gb stick in half but I don't know if it matters. You can still use whatever space you don't install it on in windows etc as a storage space.

I think it needs 6 gb or so for the install but since I'm running the OS from the stick I wanted to leave space to save stuff like updates etc...

It'll ask for a restart.

Now to load Linux you'll have to press f9 and choose the USB stick then grub will show up and you choose your Linux build

If you don't press F9 it'll just boot into windows 8.

Hope this helps. This works for me anyways.
If you can I recommend using a USB 3.0 stick and port. It's a lot faster.

The best thing is you don't have to touch(partition) your hard drive or boot loader.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Envy DV7 7270ca
    CPU
    Intel I7 3630QM
    Memory
    8gb DDr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT630M 2GB
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 120gb SSD
    WD 1TB Blue?
I have a brand new hp dv7 and after a lot of screwing around I've got it to run Linux mint 14 exclusively off of a USB stick.

I disabled secure boot and enabled legacy, also set my first boot option to my DVD drive.

Reset the computer and downloaded
Linux and made an install DVD.

Plug your USB you want I install it on into your computer.
Reset it again, press F9 and boot from the DVD.

Now install using the option "install alongside windows 8"
It may ask you to unmount a drive... Choose yes.
And when it asks you where to install it choose the USB stick.

It will ask you to partition/allot space for the install. I split my 32gb stick in half but I don't know if it matters. You can still use whatever space you don't install it on in windows etc as a storage space.

I think it needs 6 gb or so for the install but since I'm running the OS from the stick I wanted to leave space to save stuff like updates etc...

It'll ask for a restart.

Now to load Linux you'll have to press f9 and choose the USB stick then grub will show up and you choose your Linux build

If you don't press F9 it'll just boot into windows 8.

Hope this helps. This works for me anyways.
If you can I recommend using a USB 3.0 stick and port. It's a lot faster.

The best thing is you don't have to touch(partition) your hard drive or boot loader.

Thanks I'll look into it. Seems simple enough to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Microsoft
    CPU
    i5-3210M
    Motherboard
    m6 1125dx
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD 4000
    Sound Card
    Beats Audio
    Hard Drives
    750GB
    Case
    Hp
    Cooling
    Dry Ice and fridge
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dead
    Internet Speed
    Almost hit 2kbps
    Other Info

Have an Hp Envy Laptop
HTG Explains: How Windows 8′s Secure Boot Feature Works & What It Means for Linux - How-To Geek

Installing Linux

There’s nothing stopping computers from also shipping with Ubuntu’s certificate. Linux distributions can also publish their own certificate and ask users to install it – or ask them to disable secure boot entirely. Fedora will be paying $99 for Microsoft’s signing services, so Fedora will install on any Windows 8-certified PC with no additional configuration required. Other Linux distributions could also take this route.

Security Advantages

The traditional BIOS will boot any software. Normally, your BIOS boots the Windows boot loader or maybe a Linux boot loader, like GRUB. However, it’s possible for malware, such as a rootkit, to replace your boot loader. The rootkit could load your normal operating system with no indication that anything was wrong, staying completely invisible and undetectable on your system. The BIOS doesn’t know the different between malware and a trusted boot loader, so it allows either to boot.

Windows 8 PCs will ship with Microsoft’s certificate stored in UEFI (and possibly other certificates, depending on the manufacturer). UEFI will check the boot loader before launching it and ensure it’s signed by Microsoft – if a rootkit or another malware program does replace your boot loader, UEFI won’t allow it to boot. This prevents malware from hijacking your boot process and concealing itself from your operating system.

By seting your uEFI/BIOS firmware, to Secure Boot DISABLED, you can install
NOTE: Check your manufacturer's uEFI BIOS manual for settings.

Windows 7 x64
Linux x64
in uEFI mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/15991-support-booting-linux-windows-8-pcs-delayed.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back