Another System error

waltbros

Another system error I get a lot now that I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro is a DistributedCom Event ID 10016. Below is the error text:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}

and APPID

{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Anybody have any idea why I'm getting this error?
Walt

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    intel
    Memory
    asus
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus
Probably because you did an upgrade install. Just say no to upgrades.

Do a clean install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

Do a clean install.

Thanks for your reply but it wasn't the reply I was hoping for. I gave a reply similar to that in these forums and was kicked off the forums until I apologized.

Every knows a clean install is preferred. Sometimes it is not feasible to do a clean install. There are times when you dare not risk loosing data that is important to you. There are also times when you just don't have the time and resources to reinstall all the aps that are on your machine. If upgrading is NOT a doable option, then why does Microsoft offer it?

Now if anyone else has any ideas that are helpful, I'll be more than happy to try them.
Walt

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    n/a
    CPU
    intel
    Memory
    asus
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus
So you would rather have an OS that constantly throws errors at you? Upgrade installs are problematic. If they work, great.. but if they don't, you will spend 1000x more time trying to fix problems than to just do a clean install.

You don't lose any data by doing a clean install,you just have to re-install your apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
So you would rather have an OS that constantly throws errors at you? Upgrade installs are problematic. If they work, great.. but if they don't, you will spend 1000x more time trying to fix problems than to just do a clean install.

You don't lose any data by doing a clean install,you just have to re-install your apps.
Thanks again for your reply but if you don't have any information on how I can fix this problem, please stop answering my post. I DID an upgrade because Microsoft has seen fit to offer it as an option. Now, since I did an upgrade, maybe somebody knowledgeable from Microsoft will see this post and reply with a constructive amswer.
Walt

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    n/a
    CPU
    intel
    Memory
    asus
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus
Good luck with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Good luck with that.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I was getting this same exact error message on this same machine running a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 7 Ultimate BEFORE I did the Windows 8 Upgrade. So, I guess the error just followed the OS upgrade.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    n/a
    CPU
    intel
    Memory
    asus
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus

I have since done a "Refresh Your PC Without Affecting Your Files" and it DID affect my files. I lost 5 years of Blood Pressure files I had on this computer. So, as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft LIES when they say you won't loose any personal files. Another reason why to do an upgrade if you use your computer for actual work, not just playing games on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    n/a
    CPU
    intel
    Memory
    asus
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus

I have since done a "Refresh Your PC Without Affecting Your Files" and it DID affect my files. I lost 5 years of Blood Pressure files I had on this computer. So, as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft LIES when they say you won't loose any personal files. Another reason why to do an upgrade if you use your computer for actual work, not just playing games on it.

99% positive - When you do a Refresh Your PC, it moves certain files (like certain program data, etc) to C:\Windows.old... You may be able to find all of your files located in this folder.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
    Toshiba Satellite C655-5225
    CPU
    Pentium Dual-Core T4500 2.3GHz
    Motherboard
    Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

99% positive - When you do a Refresh Your PC, it moves certain files (like certain program data, etc) to C:\Windows.old... You may be able to find all of your files located in this folder.

Wow, there is a lot of "stuff" in the windows.old folder. Unfortunately the data I needed is not. The data I was looking for was in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SoundTells and the Refresh did not put that data in the windows.old folder. Fortunately I use Carbonite Online Backup and it DID backup that data and I was able to restore it.

All of this has NOTHING to do with my original post. I still see the error I posted about and have seen no replies in this forum that has anything to do with that error.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
    n/a
    CPU
    intel
    Memory
    asus
    Graphics Card(s)
    asus

Do a clean install.

Hi, I have the exact same error with a perfectly clean Windows 8 installation ! On the first day of life of this Win8 system the error already appeared. So I doubt that the Problem comes from the "upgrade install".

But I agree to stay away from upgrade installs.

So I searched a little and here's what I found:

a) {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276} refers to RuntimeBroker.exe

b) RuntimeBroker.exe is : What is the RuntimeBroker.exe process in Windows 8? - Super User

c) To resolve the problem refer to (source: Event ID 10016, DistributedCOM: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application (2) - Share iT… )

Warning: changing "owner" is slightly different on Win8, so here some screenshots under Win8:

1) Changing REG permission:

reg_permission.PNG

2) Changing DCOM permission:

Add system user and give rights like screenshot

DCOM_permission.PNG

Hope this helps.

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
Back