An error occurred. Class not registered (0x80040154) Close Windows Backup and try again.

jan18

I have a new installation of windows 8.1 and want to create system image backup onto a dvd using the system image backup tool. Every time I try I get the following -
An error occurred. Class not registered (0x80040154) Close Windows Backup and try again. This immediately followed by another error -
The media in the drive is not formatted.
There is no problem with the dvd's and I can use the same system image backup tool to create and image onto another hard drive without problem.

I have search the web and found many references to this issue but all the solutions are too complicated for me to follow.

Can anyone help me with this...Thanks Jan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17R SE
    Memory
    8GB
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Avast
Hello, Jan

I find it interesting that you're getting this problem on a fresh install. In fact that is the best time to make a system image backup with the backup tool. Do you know if you're using a 64 bit or 32 bit o/s? It can make a difference. If you can make the image on another hard drive you could just try partitioning that drive and leave the image on that partition where your PC will readily find it in the event that you need it. This could save you the cost of a DVD that you will never need to look for when you need to make a repair. What sort of medium did you use to install your o/s? I find it strange that it is reading that your DVD is not formatted. Is it possible that the DVD ROM drive might need a driver update or possibly a firmware update? I am only guessing, but evidently the problem is with your DVD drive if your DVD is indeed formatted and you're using the correct o/s for your CPU. If it really is a fresh installation you could try reinstalling Windows 8 as you wouldn't have to worry about losing any personal data. I only make this suggestion because that error code is frequently associated with corrupt files. Have you already run the System File Checker? Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Hello Scannerman, Thanks for your input.
The OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit. it was installed via a Microsoft downloaded iso file a few days ago. There were no problems downloading the iso file or during installation and everything appears to be working correctly except for the backup problem.
I have run all the DISM scans and run SFC and no problems were found.
Your suggestion that it could be DVD drive problem is about the only thing I have not checked, although it functions normally in every other respect.
I will try the Dell website to see if there are any updates for this. Thanks Jan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 17R SE
    Memory
    8GB
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Avast
Looks to me like you know what you're doing. I wish I could be more help. I have not seen this error code in many years and now that I think of it this happened to me on a Dell Inspiron. I was attempting to install a 64 bit o/s on a unit that originally used a 32 bit o/s because I was limited to a maximum of 4GB of RAM. Not sure if that is your problem but it does appear to be germane to Dell. Please keep me posted. I am curious about what you did to solve it. In my case I went back to a 32 bit o/s, the Dell merely being another one of my many dumpster diver reclamations.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Looks to me like you know what you're doing. I wish I could be more help. I have not seen this error code in many years and now that I think of it this happened to me on a Dell Inspiron. I was attempting to install a 64 bit o/s on a unit that originally used a 32 bit o/s because I was limited to a maximum of 4GB of RAM. Not sure if that is your problem but it does appear to be germane to Dell. Please keep me posted. I am curious about what you did to solve it. In my case I went back to a 32 bit o/s, the Dell merely being another one of my many dumpster diver reclamations.
Hello, I wish I did know what I am doing but unfortuately I don't. :(
I logged into the Dell support site and ran all the tests available for hardware and software using there SupportAssist tool. It reported that everything on my laptop was in good oder and no problems found...which is nice to know.

This issue is not a big problem for me as I have my system backed up to another hard drive.
I am puzzled though as to why a newly installed windows 8.1 can be faulty from day one.

Thanks for your interest. Jan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 17R SE
    Memory
    8GB
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Avast
The issue still appears to point to your CD/DVD ROM drive. There is a little freeware tool that might be of some assistance that my daughters use as I can't always "be there" to fix PC issues for them: It is called Iobit Driver Booster. Sometimes this application will fix Active X issues. It's not the only one that will do this, but IMO it is one of the better and safer aps despite the implementation of nagware which vanishes once you uninstall it. I'm thinking this may be an Active X issue. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable and gifted might step in to verify whether this may or may not be the case?

Perhaps this link will help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
The issue still appears to point to your CD/DVD ROM drive. There is a little freeware tool that might be of some assistance that my daughters use as I can't always "be there" to fix PC issues for them: It is called Iobit Driver Booster. Sometimes this application will fix Active X issues. It's not the only one that will do this, but IMO it is one of the better and safer aps despite the implementation of nagware which vanishes once you uninstall it. I'm thinking this may be an Active X issue. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable and gifted might step in to verify whether this may or may not be the case?

Perhaps this link will help?
Hello again Scannerman, Thank you for the tip...I will have a look at this and give it a try.
I did do a couple of test on my dvd drive using Dells SupportAssist tool and both test passed without any errors....Thanks for interest, Jan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 17R SE
    Memory
    8GB
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Avast
Hello Skannerman, I have looked at and researched driver booster and and decided I don't like the fact that it wants to download other software that I don't need. I don't like that.
Thank you for your help :) Jan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 17R SE
    Memory
    8GB
    Internet Speed
    50Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Avast
I concur. There are other third party software that can do the same thing. I appreciate the fact that you can refuse to install the other software Iobit offers and uninstall the entire application later, when you are done with it (unlike so many other "installer" programs). There are other, more time consuming, manual methods for checking to see if you have all your Active X intact. Of course, with Win 11 on the horizon, you can always just opt out for upgrading to Win 10 and then perhaps jumping to the "better" o/s when it is released? Just a thought. Perhaps you might try installing WIN 8.1 directly via USB if your BIOS allows for this and see if you get the same issue? Just a few potential options. I don't mean to be "captain obvious" but there is a vast difference between Win 8 and Win 8.1. Sometimes the most obvious things are overlooked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
Back