amd raedon (ati) switchable graphics not working

kbronski

I installed my ATI catalyst manager, but for some reason the switchable graphics application is nowhere to be found. This is extremely frustrating, as it's limiting my battery life to a measly 2 hours (if I'm lucky) now.

Anyone know what I can do?

AMD Raedon HD 6770 is not working; it says the device cannot start.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, but no luck.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me? Model number... seven? two?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-5820k
    Motherboard
    ASUS X99-A
    Memory
    16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 (4x4GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2; Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200RPM 2TB; Toshiba 2.5" 750GB 5400RPM
    PSU
    Corsair RM750
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
    Other Info
    Yup, it's a computer!
I installed my ATI catalyst manager, but for some reason the switchable graphics application is nowhere to be found. This is extremely frustrating, as it's limiting my battery life to a measly 2 hours (if I'm lucky) now.

Anyone know what I can do?

AMD Raedon HD 6770 is not working; it says the device cannot start.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, but no luck.

have you tried this? AMD Catalyst Drivers Windows 8 Consumer Preview

i have the same graphics card as you but i am not sure what the "switchable graphics application"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 CP and 7 x64
    CPU
    AMD FX-6 6100 Black Edition 6 Core 3.3Ghz Socket AM3+
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX
    Memory
    Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600mhz Vengeance Memory Module CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered
    Graphics Card(s)
    Saphire HD6770
    Sound Card
    Onboard (VIA Vinyl VT1708s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL 1717 LCD Monitor, LG 32lh3200
    Screen Resolution
    1280 * 1024 , 1360 * 768
    Hard Drives
    WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive
    PSU
    CIT 750W Dual 12V Rail 12cm Fan PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-E
    Case
    Standard Old Case
    Cooling
    Stock + 2 Case Fans
    Keyboard
    Standard DELL
    Mouse
    logitech wireless laptop mouse
    Internet Speed
    8-16mbp/s Download | 1-2mbp/s Upload
Downloading now to try it out. Hopefully it will work. :)

PS: the switchable graphics is what allows you to switch between your high performance GPU and your power-saver GPU.

UPDATE:

I installed the catalyst, and it installed great with no errors. However, when I start my computer, I get this message window on my desktop saying:

"The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics driver. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager"

The device still cannot start.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-5820k
    Motherboard
    ASUS X99-A
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2; Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200RPM 2TB; Toshiba 2.5" 750GB 5400RPM
    PSU
    Corsair RM750
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
    Other Info
    Yup, it's a computer!
I have the exact same problem / message ""The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics driver. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager"

HELP!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
^ Yep, that's the message I'm getting. I was just popping in to see if AMD has fixed this issue yet?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-5820k
    Motherboard
    ASUS X99-A
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair RM750
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
    Other Info
    Yup, it's a computer!
Corrected this in my laptop......
My spec hp pavilion 6121 tx i 7 second gen...
This annoying pop up really frustrated me for last 3 weeks ..with no real help from any forum
wat i did was went to start up disabled catalyst centre at start up....
Dowloaded win 8 preview amd drive from site and installed it...
Every time i switch on my laptop i open device manager display adapter s shows amd in yellow triangle,right click amd radeon 6700 series then disable that first and then enable that no more problem works perfect

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 preview
Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ACER Aspire 4828 TG
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU and ATI Mobility Radeon N/A
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
Corrected this in my laptop......
My spec hp pavilion 6121 tx i 7 second gen...
This annoying pop up really frustrated me for last 3 weeks ..with no real help from any forum
wat i did was went to start up disabled catalyst centre at start up....
Dowloaded win 8 preview amd drive from site and installed it...
Every time i switch on my laptop i open device manager display adapter s shows amd in yellow triangle,right click amd radeon 6700 series then disable that first and then enable that no more problem works perfect

I tried all that. It got rid of the error message alright, but disabling and re-enabling doesn't cause the device to work at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-5820k
    Motherboard
    ASUS X99-A
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair RM750
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
    Other Info
    Yup, it's a computer!
When u disable does the software gets disabled and when u enable does the black cmd like screen appears and enables .....wat does the device manager in display adapter show before and after enabling....wat is ur spec

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 preview
I had this problem with a Mobility Radeon X1300. My solution was to use a tool called mobility modder.net. I found the most recent version of Catalyst that supported my card and put that setup file and the mobility modder.net setup file on a flash drive. I then went to a different computer that wasn't running Windows 8 and ran the Catalyst setup file, but after the part where it extracts its files I clicked cancel. Then I installed mobility modder.net and navigated to C:\ATI\Support\(your version of catalyst)\Driver and clicked mod. When the tool finished I cut and pasted the entire C:\ATI directory and put it on my flash drive and took it back to my computer that was running Windows 8. I then cut and pasted the ATI directory to the root of that computer's hard drive. I then opened up that directory until I got to the setup.exe file and I ran it and it installed perfectly. When it was done it was running the driver and Catalyst Control Center perfectly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview
A couple notes..........

I think those with switchable graphic setups (most always laptops) will find that for now the switchable feature will not work in this Windows 8 preview release. Most all switchable graphics adapter laptops have proprietary driver sets that the laptop manufacturer has to write and assemble. For example my ACER laptop has an Intel display adapter that is part of the Intel chip set bridges and it also has an AMD HD6650 Mobility Radeon with its own dedicated 2 GB of RAM. The switchable graphics feature allows the user to use the lower power consuming "On Board Intel HD Graphics" while the machine is using battery OR when applications that do not require an HD throttled display adapter are being used....for example email and most web browsing. If the AMD HD6650 was relegated to battery only power....the battery would drain in minutes. The Windows 8 official driver in my opinion will probably come from the laptop manufacturer and NOT the display adapter manufacturer.....as look at my machine....it is an Intel motherboard with an Intel display adapter that ALSO has Intel's competitor AMD (who makes ATI Radeon) display adapter in the machine as well. Neither Intel or AMD are likely to write the Windows 8 switchable graphics driver set....it will likely come written from ACER as did the original switchable driver suite. So for now...those with switchable graphic enabled laptops will probably have to wait a while to test that important feature on Win 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot Win7 and Win 8 Preview Release
    Acer 7750G-9823 Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7
    Memory
    16 GB Mushkin DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 6650M Radeon 2 GB Memory
I think those with switchable graphic setups (most always laptops) will find that for now the switchable feature will not work in this Windows 8 preview release. Most all switchable graphics adapter laptops have proprietary driver sets that the laptop manufacturer has to write and assemble. For example my ACER laptop has an Intel display adapter that is part of the Intel chip set bridges and it also has an AMD HD6650 Mobility Radeon with its own dedicated 2 GB of RAM. The switchable graphics feature allows the user to use the lower power consuming "On Board Intel HD Graphics" while the machine is using battery OR when applications that do not require an HD throttled display adapter are being used....for example email and most web browsing. If the AMD HD6650 was relegated to battery only power....the battery would drain in minutes. The Windows 8 official driver in my opinion will probably come from the laptop manufacturer and NOT the display adapter manufacturer.....as look at my machine....it is an Intel motherboard with an Intel display adapter that ALSO has Intel's competitor AMD (who makes ATI Radeon) display adapter in the machine as well. Neither Intel or AMD are likely to write the Windows 8 switchable graphics driver set....it will likely come written from ACER as did the original switchable driver suite. So for now...those with switchable graphic enabled laptops will probably have to wait a while to test that important feature on Win 8.

thanks jaylew. you are right, better to wait.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ACER Aspire 4828 TG
    CPU
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
I think so obetar...i tried last night after I posted the long winded comment above...i tried to use the compatability feature in Win 8 to install the ACER switchable graphic for the AMD HD6650 in my laptop...and all I was able to do was to get the AMD card to appear in WIN 8 device manager to show up with no yellow check marks or other incorrect configuration notation. So that just meant the actual AMD display driver DID install okay...without error...but the Catalyst Control Center is what actually manages the switchable graphic settings...and the Catalyst Control Center is what I cannot get to function or even install correctly. So in my opinion at this time...with respect to "testing" the switchable graphic feature on my laptop in this Win 8 preview build is not possible. I do find Win 8 intriguing though and i like the way it behaves like many modern smart phones do....Win 8 will definitely have a behavior modification aspect to the "normal" laptop or desktop users typical Windows OS experience. Sometimes change is good...lolololol...if only I could get a United States President who actually changes things for the better instead of just "talking" about change....pretty soon if this world economy doesn't pick up the pace....we are all going to have a diminished ability to buy new IT toys and gadgets. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot Win7 and Win 8 Preview Release
    Acer 7750G-9823 Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7
    Memory
    16 GB Mushkin DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 6650M Radeon 2 GB Memory
ATI

Capturera.PNGCapturerror.PNGCapturewinamd.PNGCaptureamd.PNGCaptureqnnmw.PNGCaptureede.PNG

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ACER Aspire 4828 TG
    CPU
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
Obetar, did the driver install well for you? I see the code 10 but it isn't clear to me if it did, AFTER that or not.

Anyway, if it did install well and now you only need CCC - you should try deleting all ATI folders in Program Files and Program Files (x86) and also delete all ATI/AMD files in C:\Windows\System32 - check the properties before deleting though to ensure its only an ATI/AMD file.

Then try to install CCC from here after:

AMD Catalyst 12.3 (8.951.0 March 8) AMD Official WHQL drivers

I don't expect success and am just giving you an idea to try. If it works, then more power to ya.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
Obetar, did the driver install well for you? I see the code 10 but it isn't clear to me if it did, AFTER that or not.

Anyway, if it did install well and now you only need CCC - you should try deleting all ATI folders in Program Files and Program Files (x86) and also delete all ATI/AMD files in C:\Windows\System32 - check the properties before deleting though to ensure its only an ATI/AMD file.

Then try to install CCC from here after:

AMD Catalyst 12.3 (8.951.0 March 8) AMD Official WHQL drivers

I don't expect success and am just giving you an idea to try. If it works, then more power to ya.

thank GMan, I'll try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ACER Aspire 4828 TG
    CPU
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
By the way, I found out that windows 8 will stop operating Consumer preview by January 2013.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    ACER Aspire 4828 TG
    CPU
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
Back