Am I the only exception or are there others?

Not only haven't I had a problem with Windows 8.1 on the 5 machines that I have. It RESOLVED many of the earlier problems or functionality concerns that I had.

98% of my business productivity or utilities ran fine in 8.0, but a couple others benefited from the Windows 8.1 update. I'm guessing that's because there was an actual problem in 8.0. In some cases, Microsoft put back in legacy support for some routines that the software needed. The rest of the productivity stuff was updated by the manufacturer and was (and still is) working great after updating to 8.1

Take games for example. There were some game compatibility issues in 8.0. For example Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2 wouldn't run. Even though I use Steam who keeps all their stuff patched regularly.

When the Developer release of 8.1 came out, I updated my test rig and ran tests on the few programs that had problems. Well, I had been working with Rockstar who was putting a test rig together to test Max Payne 1 & 2. Once I tested MP 1 & 2 on 8.1 and they worked flawlessly, Rockstar was very happy that they didn't have to do any work to update them. Almost all of the problems with other games went away as well.

By the way, I was very surprised how willing Rockstar was to troubleshoot the problem. Probably because they were still selling copies of MP 1 & 2 through Steam. But nice to see that level of support.

So, I believe that there are TONS of people out there like me who are very happy with Windows 8 and 8.1. Sure, there are going to be a lot more people being vocal with problems, but with an OS installed on and untold number of machines with infinite hardware configurations, there will be some difficulties.

I think Microsoft has done an excellent job with Windows 8 compatibility. Sure, they probably should have kept the Start Menu while providing the new Start Screen functions for touch systems. But that's another discussion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel I-7 860
    Motherboard
    Asus P7B
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 580
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer (Primary), Asus (secondary), Sony TV (third)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Kingston 128GB SSD Windows 8 Boot Drive
    WD Black 1 TB (2 ea)
    WD Red 3 TB
    WD Black 500GB
    Keyboard
    MS 1000
    Mouse
    MS Flip
    Internet Speed
    Verizon FIOS 35/35
    Browser
    IE 11, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari
    Antivirus
    Windows 8 Defender (MS Security Essentials)
Ive had one stability issue on all rigs I have used it on. Have to say on my touch laptop Windows 8.1 is a delight to use and I wouldn't even dream of going back to 7. I have never understood why there is so much hate for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 X64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel Celeron B800
    Motherboard
    Asus X202EP
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
    Other Info
    My little workhorse, underpowered and slightly dinged these days but it has never let me down.
Windows 8.1 Works Well For Me

My Windows OS path was 98->XP->Vista->8.1. All of them were good for me. I had XP from 2002 to 2007; Vista 2007 to end of 2013; and now 8.1. Although people complained about Vista, I could never figure out what their complaints were about. In each of those cases, the OS was OEM, because my policy is to buy a whole new rig & software about every 5-6 years. So I never had the challenge of moving from one OS to another on the same hardware. And didn't have to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. And each of these was a desktop tower rather than a laptop [my 'laptop' is my iPad :) ].

I have often mused: what if Windows 8.1 was the legacy OS and Microsoft came out with a new concept to replace it with XP....what a howl would be heard from the community!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (OEM)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Envy 700qe
    CPU
    3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP Pavilion 25xi Pavilion IPS LED Backlit
    Hard Drives
    Primary 1TB
    Secondary 1TB
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Computer came with Windows 8.1 OEM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 X64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel Celeron B800
    Motherboard
    Asus X202EP
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
    Other Info
    My little workhorse, underpowered and slightly dinged these days but it has never let me down.
8.1 on my AMD x2 Athlon 64-bit

I am confused because I am having very few problems but the info I read says my processor shouldn't work with 8.1. I did a clean install with no problems. Everything works but I get an occasional BSOD and I haven't determined what's going on with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion Slimline s3521p
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 64-bit
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    McAfee Total Protection
I am confused because I am having very few problems but the info I read says my processor shouldn't work with 8.1. I did a clean install with no problems. Everything works but I get an occasional BSOD and I haven't determined what's going on with that.

It really isn't supported on 64 bit as state here:
Microsoft confirms some older AMD processors do not support Windows 8.1 - Neowin

It may work better on 32 bit. Your BSODs are more than likely due to it being officially incompatible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Back