- How to Boot to Advanced Windows Startup Settings in Windows 8
This tutorial will show you how to boot to the advanced Windows Startup Settings (Advanced Boot Options) menu to select options to start Windows 8 in advanced troubleshooting modes.
In previous versions of Windows, you could get to this screen by pressing F8 before Windows started up. Windows 8 PCs start up quickly so there's not enough time to press F8.
This tutorial will show you how to boot to advanced Windows Startup Settings or Advanced Boot Options to select options to start Windows 8 in advanced troubleshooting modes.
Repair Your Computer
Shows a list of system recovery options that you can use to repair startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system. If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't have the 350MB System Reserved partition normall added during the installation of Windows 8.
Starts Windows 8 in an advanced troubleshooting mode intended for IT professionals and system administrators.
Enable boot logging
Creates a file named ntbtlog.txt, that lists all the drivers that are installed during startup and that might be useful for advanced troubleshooting.
Enable low-resolution video
Starts Windows 8 using your current video driver and using low 640x480 resolution and refresh rate settings. You can use this mode to reset your display settings, or to use a television monitor with your computer if needed.
Enable Safe Mode
This starts Windows 8 with a minimal set of drivers and services.
Enable Safe Mode with Networking
This starts Windows 8 in safe mode and includes the network drivers and services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network.
Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt
This starts Windows 8 in safe mode with a command prompt window instead of the usual Windows interface. To exit from here, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete or type Exit and press Enter.
Disable driver signature enforcement
Allows drivers containing improper signatures to be temporarily installed.
Disable early launch anti-malware driver
Starts Windows 8 with Early Launch Anti-Malware disabled.
Disable automatic restart after failure
Prevents Windows 8 from automatically restarting if an error causes Windows 8 to fail. Choose this option only if Windows 8 is stuck in a loop where Windows 8 fails, attempts to restart, and fails again repeatedly.
If you're using BitLocker on a tablet or Windows RT device, you'll need to suspend BitLocker before you can get to Windows Startup Settings.
EXAMPLE: "Startup Settings" and "Advanced Boot Options" for Windows 8
- You have more than one operating system installed along with Windows 8 for a dual or multi boot system, or have safe mode added to Windows Boot Manager with your installed Windows 8.
- You have disable the Windows 8 GUI boot menu.
- You have set the Time to display list of operating systems to be long enough to see and use the Windows Boot Manager screen at boot.
- How to Boot to the Windows 8 Startup Options Menu
- How to Enable or Disable the New Windows 8 Startup Options Boot Menu
- How to Create a "Startup Options Menu" Shortcut in Windows 8
- How to Boot to the "System Recovery Options" in Windows 8
- How to Add "Safe Mode" to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8
- How to Add "Safe Mode" to Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- How to Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode
- How to Open a Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 8
- How to Create a "System Repair Disc" in Windows 8
- How to Create a Recovery USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
- How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 8
- 64-bit Windows 10
- Computer type
- System Manufacturer/Model Number
- Custom self built
- Intel i7-3930K 3.2 Ghz (O/C to 4 Ghz)
- ASRock X79 Extreme11
- 32 GB (8GBx4) G.SKILL DDR3 Quad PC3-19200 2400 MHz
- Graphics Card(s)
- ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
- Sound Card
- SB Recon 3Di Integrated Chip
- Monitor(s) Displays
- 3 x 27" Asus VE278Q
- Screen Resolution
- Hard Drives
256GB OCZ Vector
6TB WD Black WD6001FZWX
- OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
- Corsair Air 740
- Corsair Hydro H115i
- Logitech wireless K800
- Logitech MX Master
- Internet Speed
- 100 Mb/s Download and 10 Mb/s Upload
- Internet Explorer 11
- Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
- Other Info
Lite-On iHBS212 12x BD Writer
Creative F200 webcam
Samsung CLX-3175FW Printer
Linksys EA9500 Router
Arris SB6190 Cable Modem
APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL