Solved Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.

When I test the OEM key on a VBox machine with Windows Single Language ISO, the key fails.

Do not test the activation on the second computer (for example VirtualBox or VMware Player), because then you have to call the activation robot.

http://www.eightforums.com/installa...sfer-new-windows-8-1-computer.html#post343592

If you receive an error message: This key didn't work, please check it and try again, or try a different key.

Select Cancel.

Now you will see text that says: This product key is being used on another PC. Please try a different key.

Then you need select Call support.

NOTE: The activation robot asks you how many PCs you have installed Windows on. The correct answer is number 1.

No, you can not transfer the OS to a new PC, as this is a OEM manufacturer's PC licence.

Microsoft said:
Can I transfer the software to another user? You may transfer the software directly to another user, only with the licensed computer. The transfer must include the software, proof of purchase, and, if provided with the computer, an authentic Windows label such as the certificate of authenticity label including the product key. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier version. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I'm not transfering the OS. In my case, I would be reinstalling on the same machine it came with. The machine came with Windows 8, and no OS disc was supplied.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I'm not transfering the OS. In my case, I would be reinstalling on the same machine it came with. The machine came with Windows 8, and no OS disc was supplied.

When I test the OEM key on a VBox machine with Windows Single Language ISO, the key fails.
Does it need to be done only on THE SAID computer for it to work?

Have you made the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

information   Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD. (Windows 8 only)
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html (Windows 8 only)

I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
or
You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Ok, so from my understanding... when it finds the OEM key laying on UEFI, it automagically bypasses all this... of course, when installing on the proper OEM machine... right?

You do not need to call the activation robot.

If you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.

- Windows 8 installer will detect product key from UEFI firmware (BIOS) and activate Windows 8 automatically.

- Windows 8.1 installer does not accept UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key. You have to enter Windows 8.1 generic product key to install Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 Single Language: Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
No need for a generic product key on OEM manufacturer's PC to do a clean install, you use the OEM recovery media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
- Windows 8.1 installer does not accept UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key. You have to enter Windows 8.1 generic product key to install Windows 8.1.

Alright, then will I be able to change to the original OEM key afterwards?

The folks suggesting the "OEM Recovery Install Disk" well, I dunno... That was not the solution I was looking for. I am looking for a solution GROUND ZERO really. Worst possible case. Total hard drive failure. So I am backed up with a clean OS install. The laptop has a recovery partition and such things, but I believe it transfer all the OEM crap with it...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
This is some good info for a work around on "Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key" I performed a simular procedure yesterday but this looks to be a better option Ill be trying it out today! Thanks Guys Good stuff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    OEM
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    GSkill
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Browser
    IE9
    Antivirus
    Avast
Hey what will be the product key my win 8.1 core key expired

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    LENOVO G500
    Memory
    500GB
    Browser
    OPERA
    Antivirus
    360 SECURITY
Legit keys do not expire. Activation count does, however, after substantial hardware changes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max