Solved Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.

You are welcome. :dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Well i have buy for windows 8 - is upgrade from 7.
But now on clean windows 8 install is done - is ask for a new licens ( for clean install and cant use my opgrade key )
Crap WINDOWS LICENS - is on same PC on SAME HARDDISK - but just Clean install vs OLD Windows 7 + 8 Licens.
IS TO BAD........ ANY HELP

YES

DO THIS:
NOTE: Only follow these steps if you have a VALID Upgrade (I.e.: You legitimately own the previous full version you’re upgrading from) This is what I did to solve the problem:
1. Do a clean install of Windows and do a keyless installation (I.e.: When it asks you to put in the key, just uncheck the “Validate Windows when I’m online” box and don’t enter the key; click “Next”)
Once you’re in Windows, you’re going to have to do some tweaking to “trick” it into letting you active Windows with the Upgrade key. To do this:
2. Once you’re at your desktop, run Command Prompt as Administrator (click Start, then type ‘command‘ in the Search box. You should see Command prompt on the list. Right-click it and click “Run as Administrator”. Click “Yes” on the Security Prompt).
3. At the command prompt, type: regedit
4. Once in Registry Editor, navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
In that folder, look for the item MediaBootInstall
5. Double-click it and change the value to 0
6. Close out of Registry Editor. You should still have the Command Prompt open. Now, at the Command Prompt, type the following:
slmgr /rearm
7. It should show something that tells you the command was successful.
8. Restart the computer.

done :)
So Easy - Dear Gate make more difr. and hard plz :):party:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    acer 5750g
    Memory
    6g
    Hard Drives
    SSD :-)
Well i have buy for windows 8 - is upgrade from 7.
But now on clean windows 8 install is done - is ask for a new licens ( for clean install and cant use my opgrade key )
Crap WINDOWS LICENS - is on same PC on SAME HARDDISK - but just Clean install vs OLD Windows 7 + 8 Licens.
IS TO BAD........ ANY HELP

YES

DO THIS:
NOTE: Only follow these steps if you have a VALID Upgrade (I.e.: You legitimately own the previous full version you’re upgrading from) This is what I did to solve the problem:
1. Do a clean install of Windows and do a keyless installation (I.e.: When it asks you to put in the key, just uncheck the “Validate Windows when I’m online” box and don’t enter the key; click “Next”)
Once you’re in Windows, you’re going to have to do some tweaking to “trick” it into letting you active Windows with the Upgrade key. To do this:
2. Once you’re at your desktop, run Command Prompt as Administrator (click Start, then type ‘command‘ in the Search box. You should see Command prompt on the list. Right-click it and click “Run as Administrator”. Click “Yes” on the Security Prompt).
3. At the command prompt, type: regedit
4. Once in Registry Editor, navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
In that folder, look for the item MediaBootInstall
5. Double-click it and change the value to 0
6. Close out of Registry Editor. You should still have the Command Prompt open. Now, at the Command Prompt, type the following:
slmgr /rearm
7. It should show something that tells you the command was successful.
8. Restart the computer.

done :)
So Easy - Dear Gate make more difr. and hard plz :):party:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13375-clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi Guys, Hope someone can help me. I'm new to the sight and I'm having a major problem. I have a Toshiba laptop running windows 8 software was pre-installed and I do not have a product key. The other week i tried to boot it up but I got a blue screen telling me that the winload.efi file is corrupt or missing. I've tried to create a bootable usb device using the instructions on this thread, although none of the generic keys worked i did use another one after googling it. My problem is when windows 8 tries to download it stops saying it cannot connect to the internet and to check my connection. I was wondering if anyone could help me solve this issue.

thanks in advance

Scottb

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 and windows7
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hi Guys, Hope someone can help me. I'm new to the sight and I'm having a major problem. I have a Toshiba laptop running windows 8 software was pre-installed and I do not have a product key. The other week i tried to boot it up but I got a blue screen telling me that the winload.efi file is corrupt or missing. I've tried to create a bootable usb device using the instructions on this thread, although none of the generic keys worked i did use another one after googling it. My problem is when windows 8 tries to download it stops saying it cannot connect to the internet and to check my connection. I was wondering if anyone could help me solve this issue.

thanks in advance

Scottb

To download a Windows 8/8.1 ISO, you need to buy a Product key.

For the problems you have with your Toshiba Notebook, can your make own thread with the full details.

Did you make the Toshiba OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I burned off the DVD following the guide from this thread some time ago and used it for a repair install. Recently my PSU died and messed up my bios. After getting a new PSU I don't know how but I started getting problems with Windows, I tried to restore from a backup but that went pair shaped... in the end I I had to wipe my HDD.

Thought this would be a good trail of the 8.1 DVD and this method... well it worked brilliantly! My PC is flying along now, the search charm bar is now also working perfectly with no lag or slow searches. Just wished I had done this sooner! Clean install is much better than the crappy store update.

Guess I'll have to go through the same process when 8.2 arrives :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
I burned off the DVD following the guide from this thread some time ago and used it for a repair install. Recently my PSU died and messed up my bios. After getting a new PSU I don't know how but I started getting problems with Windows, I tried to restore from a backup but that went pair shaped... in the end I I had to wipe my HDD.

Thought this would be a good trail of the 8.1 DVD and this method... well it worked brilliantly! My PC is flying along now, the search charm bar is now also working perfectly with no lag or slow searches. Just wished I had done this sooner! Clean install is much better than the crappy store update.

Guess I'll have to go through the same process when 8.2 arrives :D

You are welcome. :dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I have an ASUS laptop with Win8. It gives me messages to upgrade to Win8.1. Store will not open, and never has from new. Other apps have never worked including skype. Some apps work.
I have done purging-refresh of app database, doesn't work.
I have done complete driver upgrades - store will never open. The laptop will never do a complete system image, many ext drives tried. ASUS denies responsibility claiming hardware is perfect, and denounces MS software. It has been to the technicians at ASUS.

My query is, if I do an upgrade to Win8.1 using product key, will the system image backup work? I did use refresh initially and had to re-install all software which took days and internet bandwidth. Refresh solved nothing.

cheers, and may 2014 be what you need.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w8.0
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K55A
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 i5-3210M / 2.5 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    FF/CH/IE
    Antivirus
    Norton
I have an ASUS laptop with Win8. It gives me messages to upgrade to Win8.1. Store will not open, and never has from new. Other apps have never worked including skype. Some apps work.
I have done purging-refresh of app database, doesn't work.
I have done complete driver upgrades - store will never open. The laptop will never do a complete system image, many ext drives tried. ASUS denies responsibility claiming hardware is perfect, and denounces MS software. It has been to the technicians at ASUS.

My query is, if I do an upgrade to Win8.1 using product key, will the system image backup work? I did use refresh initially and had to re-install all software which took days and internet bandwidth. Refresh solved nothing.

cheers, and may 2014 be what you need.

I would say NO with all problems you have.

Best to make your own thread with full details of the problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Thanks theog,

I have been that route right through previously, in at least 2 forums. I tried many steps that were listed, none of which worked. Scannow does come up with errors, purge/refresh apps fails, driver updates, registry cleans etc.

My action now may go to purchasing Acronis or Norton Ghost, and backing up, before I try putting 8.1 on. Actually, I would not gain a huge amount with 8.1, because if I have success with third party software it is equivalent to a system image. I already have "classic shell" on my laptop to give a "start" button.

However, if you have success stories of "store" regeneration so that the download works, please let me know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w8.0
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K55A
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    FF/CH/IE
    Antivirus
    Norton
Thanks theog,

I have been that route right through previously, in at least 2 forums. I tried many steps that were listed, none of which worked. Scannow does come up with errors, purge/refresh apps fails, driver updates, registry cleans etc.

My action now may go to purchasing Acronis or Norton Ghost, and backing up, before I try putting 8.1 on. Actually, I would not gain a huge amount with 8.1, because if I have success with third party software it is equivalent to a system image. I already have "classic shell" on my laptop to give a "start" button.

However, if you have success stories of "store" regeneration so that the download works, please let me know.

I would look for a 3rd party Partitioning,Backup & Cloning software, which fully supports Windows 8, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.
Which is signed by Microsoft.

Norton Ghost will not work with Windows 8.
Take a look at
http://www.eightforums.com/installa...-drive-selection-help-8-1-a-2.html#post324393

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Mmmm....

Thanx theog,

I have some options to pursue now. I'll let you know how I get on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w8.0
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K55A
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    FF/CH/IE
    Antivirus
    Norton
System Image

:) I have finally managed to do a system image for the Win8.0 laptop, plus a repair media DVD.

I used Macrium, as suggested by another member, and it worked flawlessly. It supports GPT and PE accordingly.

I feel a lot safer now if anything comes to grief and I need to restore to what I have. However, it now begs the question as to what will be gained by downloading Win8.1 core and installing with my product code? I already have a start button with third party software. If I did this, is there an option to keep already installed programs, like on the "store" upgrade which is inoperative on my laptop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w8.0
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K55A
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    FF/CH/IE
    Antivirus
    Norton
Solved

:) OK, for all people who have jumped through the "fix" hoops and ticked all the boxes like chkdsk, sfc /SCANNOW, Wsreset.exe, task manager settings for altered boots, driver upgrades, bowing down to the great god MS etc etc. try this.

Make sure that you are an administrator on your machine, and goto "user accounts". Set up another complete user and give it admin rights. Log off and login to the new user. You will have to activate a Microsoft email account in there.

Goto start and click on "Store". If you have luck on your side, voila! it actually opens, and you see the Windows 8.1 free download. Click on that and then twiddle your thumbs for some hours while it does that, and many other things, until you actually get an installation of Win8.1.

After the new account loads, log off and login to the old account. See if you can click on "store" there and have success - I did!

If for some reason when you are back doing the initial download and the whole process goes pear shaped - that's normal too, in my experience with other machines. Somehow the account gets corrupted, and SCANNOW will come up with files that it is unable to repair, on log readouts that are not readily available?

windir logs cbs cbs.log - Bing

best of luck. :smile:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w8.0
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS K55A
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    FF/CH/IE
    Antivirus
    Norton
theog, so I can take my recently purchased retail version 8.1 diskand clean install on each of my three oem 8.0 computers and use the product key embeddedin EUFI on the respective computers?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 home prem
theog, so I can take my recently purchased retail version 8.1 diskand clean install on each of my three oem 8.0 computers and use the product key embeddedin EUFI on the respective computers?

If you have the product key for each one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Back