ACPI BIOS Error while booting from window 8 USB on Asus x541u

Dr.Mr

Hi All

I am having some issues while booting from USB window 8 bootable. I have Asus x541u laptop with preinstalled window 10 OS.

I personally do not like window 10 so decided to install window 8. The USB bootable is in working condition as checked on other laptop.

When it start booting from the USB, it shows the window 8 installation logo and after few seconds it show blue screen with error ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.

I have checked all the option in BIOS setting such as secure boot enable/disable, CSM enable/disable, Fast boot enable/disable etc. non of the option worked.

I have read at some other forum to press F7 to disable ACPI while booting/installation but this seems to not to influence in anyway.

I do not understand the problem. Is the laptop locked to not to be operated other than window 10 OS? At Asus personal account, I have seen that only window 10 is registered against my laptop. The Peripheral in the computer are standard and should work with all windows.

How can I install window 8 on my computer?

Kindly guide.

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    window 10 and window 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
I went to the Asus website and looked for your computer. There was a letter after the "x541u", so I chose "a" (x541ua). I also checked "j". According to what I found for these two models, there are no Windows 8.1 drivers available for your computer. That is likely the reason why you are not able to install Windows 8.

X541UA | ASUS USA

If you simply cannot tolerate Windows 10, there are a couple of options:
  • You could get one of the add-ons that brings back the Windows 7-style interface. This would make it look and feel like Windows 7. (Of course, under the surface it would still be Windows 10, with its auto updates and telemetry.) I use Classic Shell on my Windows 8.1 computer; unfortunately, they quit developing Classic Shell for Windows 10, so I don't recommend Classic Shell in your case. There are others, such as StartIsBack and Start10. (I used StartIsBack for Windows 8.0 and 8.1, and I really liked it.)
  • You could run one of the Linux distros (I like Linux Mint, myself). In fact, you can run Linux from a DVD or a flash drive, thereby not having to delete anything from your hard drive while you are trying it out. If you decide you like Linux, you could do a clean install of it to your hard drive, which would wipe Windows 10 (and everything else) from the computer.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Thank. You observation seems correct. I have the same impression. I have not realized this while buy otherwise I would not have bought with Window 10. Linux seems good option but I am an Power System Engineer and most of the software are window based and do not support linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    window 10 and window 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
If you have at least 8 GB of RAM on the computer, and if it is a 64-bit computer, then you can do a clean install of a 64-bit version of Linux. Then install VMWare Workstation Player (or some other similar software), and then set up a Windows 8.1 virtual machine inside of VMWare Workstation Player.

Once you have done all of the above, you will have Linux as your base operating system; and within Linux, you will be able to open and run a Windows 8.1 session, called a "virtual machine". If your computer has enough memory (8 GB is probably enough, but more is always better when you are running virtual machines), Windows 8.1 will run very well in that environment. In fact, you might not even notice that it is running in a virtual machine rather than as the base operating system.

Running Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine will allow you to install and run it without having to worry about drivers, because the virtual machine software will take care of all of that, because Windows 8.1 interfaces with the virtual machine software, not with the computer. This is how I run Windows 8.1 -- Linux Mint 64-bit is my base operating system, and Windows 8.1 runs inside of Linux in a virtual machine. For me, it runs a bit slow, because the computer has only 4 GB of memory; but if I had at least 8 GB, I'm sure it would run very well.

I do most of my work in Linux Mint. But I run some programs which aren't available in Linux, such as Microsoft Office 365. I have installed all of these programs in my Windows 8.1 virtual machine, and they run perfectly there. In fact, everything works well in my Windows 8.1 virtual machine, including printing, scanning, and surfing the web.

If you want to run Windows 8.1 on this computer, this is your best way to do it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Back