Solved A problem with Internet Explorer

Dragon Drop

There's a problem that comes up now and then when I try to access certain websites. Now it's happening on TurboTax, a tax preparation site that I've used for years with no problems.

The web page appears for a moment, then disappears and I get a succession of messages like this:

"Internet Explorer has stopped working"

"Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Click on > "Close Program"

"Internet Explorer has closed this web page to help protect your computer."

"A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this web page."

Click on > "More Information"

"Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious add-on."

"Other things you can do: Go online to learn about the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) security feature"

And if I select that "go online" option, it just takes me to a page offering upgrades to windows 10.

I tried turning off my Popup Blocker, but that didn't help. Does anyone know of any other remedy for this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP 23-D030
When I search further, I get a screen telling me to install Update KB2919355. But I can't even find that among the updates available. Anybody know what that update is?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    HP 23-D030
Now I see there's already a long thread about that update, and apparently it goes back to 2014, which was before I even got this computer. From what everyone says it looks like that update has caused problems for others, so I guess I won't install it. I hope it's unrelated to this problem that I'm now having.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    HP 23-D030
There's a problem that comes up now and then when I try to access certain websites. Now it's happening on TurboTax

What's the link of the turbo tax website this happens on?
Is it this link: TurboTax
fwiw this one works fine for me on Windows 8

"Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."
"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I always turn that feature off on Win7 or Win8 for a number of reasons, imho it's just outdated to specify for todays softwares, and don't expect the redirects from MS to help at all anymore, however, of course ymmv
Windows Error Reporting - Disable in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums

"A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this web page."

Now right here while in IE i would go up to the top tab of tools, and then click on Manage Add-Ons to see what's there, and disable the ones that I deem don't want or need, especially any that should not be there! What do you have listed in there?
There is also to consider how some of your Internet Options settings are set in the Advanced tab

"Windows Data Execution Prevention detected"
Read more here to consider, IF, in an appropriate situation you should:
Security System - DEP - Enable or Disable

"When I search further, I get a screen telling me to install Update KB2919355. But I can't even find that among the updates available. "

Link to Microsoft Update Catalog for KB2919355
There could be prerequisites, I did not check, and don't know what you have on your system.

I see I have that KB installed on Win8 and never noticed any problems, of course again ymmv

There are many things that comes to mind what's happening with your setup, but first I would start with checking your Manage Add-Ons to see what's there, and enabled..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Thanks for all the advice. Late last night I finally found a help screen that told me to just click "reset" on one of the IE's "properties"
tabs, and that fixed the problem. But I still don't know what caused it! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8
    HP 23-D030
Back