A power user's guide to the Windows 8 Consumer Preview[/h] By Ed Bott
April 5, 2012, 5:55am PDT
Summary: The more I use Windows 8, the more I like it. In this post, and the accompanying gallery. I want to share some of the small but useful hidden shortcuts, surprises, and secrets that only reveal themselves when you roll up your sleeves and use the new OS every day.
The more I use Windows 8, the more I like it.
It’s still a beta, of course, but it’s been fast and reliable enough for me to use day in and day out.
After more than a month of daily use, the new Start and search screens have become comfortable. Yes, the new design is a big change, one that takes some time (and a bit of unlearning) to adapt to. And yes, there are minor annoyances. The shortcut in the lower left corner of the display that leads to the Start screen, for example, desperately needs some fine-tuning. I have no doubt that Microsoft has heard the intense feedback and will make the necessary adjustments in the final release.
In this post, and the accompanying gallery. I want to share some of the little shortcuts, surprises, and secrets that only reveal themselves when you roll up your sleeves and use the new OS every day. These are things you might not discover on your own.
Gallery: 12 shortcuts and secrets for the Windows 8 Consumer Preview
I’ve come up with a dozen items, divided into four categories.
- 1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
- Computer type
- System Manufacturer/Model
- Custom Builds
- AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
- Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
- Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
- Graphics Card(s)
- MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
- Sound Card
- Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
- Monitor(s) Displays
- Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
- Screen Resolution
- 1440x900 same on both builds
- Hard Drives
WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
WD Blue Sata II 500gb
WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
- Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
- Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
- 120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
- Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
- MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
- Internet Speed
- Other Info
- two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys