8.1 Optional Updates (9/15/15) and the Windows 10 icon-FE

Juliet68

I've done everything to stop this from appearing and today received the dreaded update for Windows 10 in File Explorer. Could one of last week's updates had it hidden????????????

Also, does anyone know if yesterdays updates have anything to do with Windows 10?

Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 17-e040us
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless w/USB Connect Mouse
Also, does anyone know if yesterdays updates have anything to do with Windows 10?

I got 9 optional updates; I believe one of them mentioned something w.r.t. Windows 10 (like compatibility or something(*)). I didn't find any of the updates controversial (like, say, "added telemetry points") so installed them all.

Whenever these come across I'm irritated that uSoft says the equivalent of "Here's an optional update" as the TOTAL explanation, requiring personally tracking down the Knowledge Base articles about each one. But it's pretty easy to Google Search for the KBNNNNNNN string so not a total problem.

[64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro]
=====
(*) The Windows 10-related update is: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226

Apparently uSoft broke their multi-OS-version development environment with some Windows 10 stuff so this unbreaks it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10, various Linux
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    homebuilt
I have these-

screenshot_322.jpg

If you don't want any of them, right click one & choose "hide".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Yeah, it's pretty intrusive on Microsoft's part with regards to constantly pestering people to install Windows 10. It seems that it isn't the same update un-hiding itself per se, but rather Microsoft issuing another update to supersede the previous update(s) that were hidden by the user.

The first screenshot below was taken from a laptop where the 'Get Windows 10' update initially installed itself, but I hid the actual upgrade update as I don't want it to update to Windows 10. Like you, the update came back and as you can see it's not just one update that I've had to hide, but three different updates for the same thing. Microsoft used to use the same questionable tactic for trying to get people to install Silverlight when users had explicitly chosen to hide the update and not install it.

GWX-01.jpg

The second screenshot is from a desktop where I removed Windows 10 and reverted back to Windows 8.1 with a clean install. After doing so, I went through the big list of updates to hunt down and hide update KB3035583. On this PC, Windows hasn't tried to re-install Windows 10 and all is good. So this is the update that's the key one to prevent Windows 10 trying to install itself.

GWX-02.jpg

However, it maybe worth trying the Reg fix in Brink's tutorial at the following link (Option One, Step 3), instead of just hiding the 'Upgrade to Windows Pro' update:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit

I got 9 optional updates; I believe one of them mentioned something w.r.t. Windows 10 (like compatibility or something(*)). I didn't find any of the updates controversial (like, say, "added telemetry points") so installed them all.

Whenever these come across I'm irritated that uSoft says the equivalent of "Here's an optional update" as the TOTAL explanation, requiring personally tracking down the Knowledge Base articles about each one. But it's pretty easy to Google Search for the KBNNNNNNN string so not a total problem.

[64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro]
=====
(*) The Windows 10-related update is: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226

Apparently uSoft broke their multi-OS-version development environment with some Windows 10 stuff so this unbreaks it.

Thanks, brokensoftware, for the info on updates........I'll install them today. I hate having to click on "more info" for these updates to check if they possibly have anything to do with Windows 10. It is so time consuming and the articles are very lengthy and confusing at times. And, thanks for the google info as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 17-e040us
    Mouse
Yeah, it's pretty intrusive on Microsoft's part with regards to constantly pestering people to install Windows 10. It seems that it isn't the same update un-hiding itself per se, but rather Microsoft issuing another update to supersede the previous update(s) that were hidden by the user.

The first screenshot below was taken from a laptop where the 'Get Windows 10' update initially installed itself, but I hid the actual upgrade update as I don't want it to update to Windows 10. Like you, the update came back and as you can see it's not just one update that I've had to hide, but three different updates for the same thing. Microsoft used to use the same questionable tactic for trying to get people to install Silverlight when users had explicitly chosen to hide the update and not install it.

View attachment 65551

The second screenshot is from a desktop where I removed Windows 10 and reverted back to Windows 8.1 with a clean install. After doing so, I went through the big list of updates to hunt down and hide update KB3035583. On this PC, Windows hasn't tried to re-install Windows 10 and all is good. So this is the update that's the key one to prevent Windows 10 trying to install itself.

View attachment 65552

However, it maybe worth trying the Reg fix in Brink's tutorial at the following link (Option One, Step 3), instead of just hiding the 'Upgrade to Windows Pro' update:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

ARC 1020, thanks for your post. I hid it the day I received it. I reviewed Brink's tutorial but I am a little concerned about trying to do it.....I'm a little scared that I would not do it correctly. I guess I'll just have to keep hiding the darn thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 17-e040us
    Mouse
I have these-

View attachment 65530

If you don't want any of them, right click one & choose "hide".

Thanks, David. I've become an expert in "hiding" with all this windows 10 stuff going on. I wish I hadn't reserved the darn thing to begin with :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 17-e040us
    Mouse
Back