8.1 Mail Keeps Popping Up

Squeakytoy

I have Windows 8.1 and use Classic Shell; I use Outlook 16 for my mail. (I love my Classic Shell!) When I am typing (anywhere), the 8.1 Mail pops up with its blue screen, and I have figured out that if I use CNTL/Alt/Delete, I can get to the Task Mgr and can turn off Mail.

When I installed the update for Classic Shell, it seemed to take care of the problem. Then I took my laptop in b/c it was running so slow. When I got it back, the Mail-popping-up problem has reappeared. According to Classic Shell, I'm using the latest update. Is there some way to turn off the Windows 8.1 Mail without turning off my Outlook?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WindowsVirus?
There is no need to use Windows Mail if you are using Outlook for your email. You can uninstall Windows Mail by going into Control Panel, then Programs and Features. There will be three tabs in the upper left of the window; each tab will be for uninstalling things. One is for Windows features, one is for Programs, and one is for updates. Look in the Windows features for Windows Mail; if it is there, uncheck it and click OK. Look in the Programs tab; if it is there, uninstall it. Then reboot. This will stop Windows Mail from popping up again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Windows Mail was not listed in Windows features nor in Programs (I am running a PC, no Windows programs). It says I need to be a Trusted... rather than an Admin to do anything to the file Winmail.exe.mui. Then it wanted an Object - I looked for what an object is but didn't find anything I understood. I appreciate your help, and I suspect you are a Trusted... but I'm not and cannot figure out how to change it for just this file (I tried to rename it winmailx.exe so I could use it later if desired). Any suggestions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WindowsVirus?
Go into Control Panel and click on the Mail icon. You should be able to set the default email program to Outlook. Hopefully this will stop Windows Mail from popping up.

You can also go into Task Manager, go to the Startup tab, and make sure that Windows Mail isn't loading at startup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
I tried your suggestions - Windows Mail wasn't listed, only Outlook, under the Mail icon. Also, Mail was not listed under the Startup tab (I'd never noticed all the tabs before...). So I'm still seeing the blue Mail screen (not as often as before). And I cannot rename winmail.exe. I don't know what else to do. MS is working hard to keep us out of the 8.1/10 system, especially the Mail. Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WindowsVirus?