7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA

If something is beyond criticism, then it's beyond hope.
That is an excellent point - I like.

The Windows 8 and RT fanboys now seem to rival the Apple fanboys. There is nothing worse than getting the eyes hazed by excitement. I think a healthy amount of analysis and criticism is good for any product.

None of the options at hand are perfect. When it comes to price/performance, everybody has to judge for themselves which option provides the most bang for the buck.

I went with the Nexus. You may choose another option. That is completely understandable because you may have different requirements. But that does not mean that the one solution is better than another solution. There is no 'one size fits all'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
All 'gimped' MS products are doomed to fail. Why buy 8 Basic when you can get an ungimped Pro later?

From this consumers point of view I wouldn't touch the RT version. If I was to be swayed from an ipad, I'd want what Apple CANT give. Currently MS cant do that.

Questionably inferior tablets (model dependant), A 'notreally-OS' reliant on an app store with sweet flap all to offer? Yeah - here's my credit card...

As it stands, the MS app store is full of crap. Adding more crap daily still adds crap. Unlike Android/apple, which whilst admittedly have had years to establish a presence - there still aren't enough 'good' MS apps to counteract the bad.

Buying RT when you can buy PRO is like buying an Apple Touch vs an iPhone.

I still take Windows RT over android or ios... :rolleyes:

That's because you are rampant fanboi set on repeat.

If you aren't an MS employee, I'd look into that particular trait. It could be indicative of a deeper problem which currently and affects you in real life adversely.

You literally just described current ipads and android tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I still take Windows RT over android or ios... :rolleyes:

That's because you are rampant fanboi set on repeat.

If you aren't an MS employee, I'd look into that particular trait. It could be indicative of a deeper problem which currently and affects you in real life adversely.

I take offense, you don't know my life and yet you think you do.

No, I take Windows RT tablets any day of the week over android and ipads as THEY FIT MY PURPOSES BETTER THAN THE REST, that is if I were to buy an ARM tablet. What part of the many reasons Windows RT offers stand above the rest don't you understand?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Windows RT offers stand above the rest don't you understand?
This is a pretty ridiculous statement. You just outed yourself.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Funny how people that have never used a Surface RT can make accusations of how useless it is or how it doesn't compare to an Android tablet or iPad. I'm not saying that the Store has many good apps at this stage but really that is the only gripe people use against it or can use against it. Apps will come and will get better in quality, but having the ability to access flash sites makes up for a lack of apps. There are a number of quality games and having the ability to use an Xbox controller to play those that support it makes for even a better experience. I could care less about not being able to install desktop apps, if I wanted that I would have picked up Surface Pro or any other Windows 8 tablet. However having the desktop has been a great feature just in being able to manage media and having that file structure to work with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
. . .just another article about why "I" hate Windows 8.

Which seems to be the relevant and quite mainstream discussion that is taking place regarding Windows 8.

You could also say "Just more proof of the lack of acceptance of Windows 8."

I am very interested in this discussion across multiple threads because it brings out a lot of discussion about how people like their UI. The discussion also brings up how change is received and if change is what people really need?

Was Windows 7 better? Was it an OS that was complete and good to go? Do we need to change it or can we say it is just what we need and please stop changing, innovating, improving and tacking on. Just leave it be and let us get to work.

I think were seeing some of that now. Don't mess with a good thing. Just leave it be until it needs to be fixed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
I think the general feeling by the advanced users is that Microsoft could have very well implemented the 'improvements' like performace, security (if any), the new Task Manager and whatever else is useful within the framework and UI of Windows 7. The Metro UI should have been reserved for the tablets and the tablet applications, which are of questionable value for the desktop. They could have been offered as a seperate package a la Windows Live - maybe even for a price.

There was absolutely no need to rock the boat to the extent they have done and make the life of the advanced desktop users miserable. Granted, for a newcomer or a very light user, the new UI may work. But there is millions of the other kind of users who are now discombobulated.

I am sure they will pay a hefty bill for that mistake.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
If something is beyond criticism, then it's beyond hope.
That is an excellent point - I like.

The Windows 8 and RT fanboys now seem to rival the Apple fanboys.

That's the one area that W8 has had "unbridled success" in. ;)

I think the general feeling by the advanced users is that Microsoft could have very well implemented the 'improvements' like performace, security (if any), the new Task Manager and whatever else is useful within the framework and UI of Windows 7. The Metro UI should have been reserved for the tablets and the tablet applications, which are of questionable value for the desktop. They could have been offered as a seperate package a la Windows Live - maybe even for a price.

Agreed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
. . .just another article about why "I" hate Windows 8.

Which seems to be the relevant and quite mainstream discussion that is taking place regarding Windows 8.

You could also say "Just more proof of the lack of acceptance of Windows 8."

I am very interested in this discussion across multiple threads because it brings out a lot of discussion about how people like their UI. The discussion also brings up how change is received and if change is what people really need?

Was Windows 7 better? Was it an OS that was complete and good to go? Do we need to change it or can we say it is just what we need and please stop changing, innovating, improving and tacking on. Just leave it be and let us get to work.

I think were seeing some of that now. Don't mess with a good thing. Just leave it be until it needs to be fixed.

Just leave it be, the same thing they said about DOS and Windows XP and I'm sure about the horse and buggy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Nothing is inevitable, except maybe death and taxes.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

So you're saying the company who has supplied you with all of your current OSes, like 6, is evil.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

So you're saying the company who has supplied you with all of your current OSes, like 6, is evil.

I see where your problem lies. It sort of explains why you have so many Apple and Android devices, and keep buying them, even if you find them unsatisfactory.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I think there are actually about seven Windows RT tablets that can be bought....

Also, there probably and actually are more Windows 8 fanboys than there are mac fanboys simply because there are more of us than them. :)

I'd still use Windows RT over android. That is facing all sorts of malware issues that reminds me of the days of Windows xp. I was talking to a friend of my recently who works at Costco. They sell these 200 dollar android tablets. She gets annoyed when people buy them because even she knows how crappy they and can't believe why people would buy something like that. "Ooooh! I can go on facebook!" Said every android tablet user.

Meanwhile, anyone using Windows RT finished their monthly finances, backed up their files onto an external drive, watched a Netflix movie on an external monitor, and synced up their Windows Phone to their device or even their android phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
That's it then, unbridled malware and a definitive statement on what's best, from a friend who works in Costco. All we need is confirmation from a cousin who works in Walmart and it's the end of the debate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
That's it then, unbridled malware and a definitive statement on what's best, from a friend who works in Costco. All we need is confirmation from a cousin who works in Walmart and it's the end of the debate.

Pretty much. The thing's disgusting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It's the $199 mentality. I used to work for a retail shop, small shop
We would get people in all the time looking for the $199 special. "Sorry, we don't sell crap, you can try the guys around the corner or Best Buy" ,,, and away they went.

We would get them in a lot also and explain how the $199 disposable crap they just bought a few months earlier was a waste of money. And how at that time a $600 PC was going to last them several years. These were proven PC's with 3 Year warranty all Intel/Seagate parts and Eset at the time. Yes, we actually did sell these people these PC's. And very rarely did they come back, every so often for malware, but not hardware issues.

The moral is, you get what you pay for. And when Mac gets a larger share of the market, they will see just how unsecure they really are "security through obscurity" ,,, was that way with Firefox for a long time. Now look at them, they are ahving to battle the same things IE has been for years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
The moral is, you get what you pay for. And when Mac gets a larger share of the market, they will see just how unsecure they really are "security through obscurity" ,,, was that way with Firefox for a long time. Now look at them, they are ahving to battle the same things IE has been for years.

They have already grown and the security threats have not paralleled the growth. There have been some new exploits out there but not at the same rate that we see for the Windows platform. The conclusion is that OSX is a more secure platform even with its install base growing and it becoming a larger target.

Go do some current research on this and you'll see OSX has no where near the amount of vulnerabilities that Windows has even though they have grown to the point of being a common everyday computer and OS. OSX is a target, they just aren't an easy one. Windows is the easy target.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox