7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA

Correct, that is another proliferation of the market.

Yes, cheap and cheerful will satisfy a large percentage of the market, that's why there's so much effort going into making cheap tablets. Android and iOS is not going away, more so Android, as it's coming out in so many sizes and Samsung has now revealed an 8" tablet to further kick Apple where it hurts (after they were forced to introduce a 7" iPad): Samsung exec confirms 8-inch Galaxy Note coming to MWC

What is it with you two, are you getting paid by Google or something.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

We clearly have far greater diversity of views and can look at things outside the square. I have never had, and probably never will have, any intention of owning anything Android or Apple, but because I am prepared to be critical of some aspects of Microsoft, does not mean that I'm a shill for the competition. Far worse are fanboys who only see in black and white.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
why aren't they taking those devices and loading them with Windows RT
And then what. Did you see the MS apps store. Compare that to Google Playstore. And why would I want Win8 RT on a tablet when I can get a far superior Android and it's infrastructure.

Btw: I have setup one of those $60 tablets for a friend. It worked beautifully. Very fluent despite the single core CPU and 512MB of RAM. I was really amazed. And I could load most Playstore apps and some from Amazon that she wanted. The biggest drawback I found is that it did not have GPS (but what else at that price). My Nexus I use for navigation (can be used even in the sea with marine charts). That is a big assset because I did not want to pay 800 Euros for a navigation device in my car.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

We clearly have far greater diversity of views and can look at things outside the square. I have never had, and probably never will have, any intention of owning anything Android or Apple, but because I am prepared to be critical of some aspects of Microsoft, does not mean that I'm a shill for the competition. Far worse are fanboys who only see in black and white.

You have a far greater diversity of views and yet you have never used anything else. I've said it before, that's the problem, you haven't tried anything else.

Me, I have tried everything else which gives me a better grasp on what's going on around me. Android and IOS are not Windows, while they are good as consumption devices, that's about it at this time.

I hope Windows 8 and RT are given a chance, as in my mind they are the best way forward, especially as they evolve.

All these little sub $200 devices are just toys at this stage, and not very good ones. Certainly above $200 there are more viable options. I can't see Tim Cook looking at that little $80 Android device and thinking, oh my God I'm scared.

My Computer

System One

• OS
You have a far greater diversity of views and yet you have never used anything else. I've said it before, that's the problem, you haven't tried anything else.

Me, I have tried everything else which gives me a better grasp on what's going on around me. Android and IOS are not Windows, while they are good as consumption devices, that's about it at this time.

I hope Windows 8 and RT are given a chance, as in my mind they are the best way forward, especially as they evolve.

All these little sub $200 devices are just toys at this stage, and not very good ones. Certainly above $200 there are more viable options. I can't see Tim Cook looking at that little $80 Android device and thinking, oh my God I'm scared.

I've seen them used quite regularly, I simply haven't owned one. I have also read plenty about all of those products and it's easy enough to determine that they are very popular, but not for me. I deduced that about RT and on loading Windows 8, pretty much confirmed those observations.

Those products that you effectively consider inferior to Windows RT seem to be doing quite well. I guess the world is full of people happy to own products that you consider inferior and for their own valid reasons.

My Computer

System One

• OS

I've seen them used quite regularly, I simply haven't owned one. I have also read plenty about all of those products and it's easy enough to determine that they are very popular, but not for me. I deduced that about RT and on loading Windows 8, pretty much confirmed those observations.

Those products that you effectively consider inferior to Windows RT seem to be doing quite well. I guess the world is full of people happy to own products that you consider inferior and for their own valid reasons.

You're implying that I said all Android devices are inferior to Windows RT, I didn't say that, I said the sub $200 ones, especially the sub $100 ones. Actually I'm not inferring that, I know they're rubbish.

I suppose there are plenty of people who are quite happy eating cheeseburgers for their own valid reasons, I'm pretty sure that restaurants selling steak aren't that worried.

What I cant understand about you Ray, why do you have to post negative comments on these products everyday, has it something to do with the medication you're on, you really blow me away.

We all get it you hate Windows 8 and RT, but I can tell you one thing you're doing a huge disservice to people considering Windows 8 for $39 because in my opinion that is the greatest bargain on the planet at the moment.

Just think in a few days people will have to pay $200 to upgrade to Windows 8 and you're scaring these people into thinking its not worth it at $39, doesn't that bother you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Actually I'm not inferring that, I know they're rubbish
How many of those sub $100 tablets have you actually used. I used at least one and I was really amazed how well it performed. Yes it did not have all the bells and whistles. But it did a decent job for the tasks it could do.

For someone who wants to look at their mail, do some skyping, watch movies on-line, store pictures, music and videos or play some little games, they will do the job. Most apps from the Playstore worked except those for which it did not have the hardware features - e.g. GPS.

In contrast, with my 32GB Nexus I can do most anything I do on the PC - and then some. And that was $230 on Black Friday.

Windows 8 for $39 because in my opinion that is the greatest bargain on the planet at the moment.
That is true - if you want Windows 8. I got mine before they raise the prices. I run it in a virtual partition. Works very well, but I do not plan to use it for anything other than education. With 1 year of testing the pre-releases under the belt, I do not want to fall behind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
You're implying that I said all Android devices are inferior to Windows RT, I didn't say that, I said the sub $200 ones, especially the sub $100 ones. Actually I'm not inferring that, I know they're rubbish.

I suppose there are plenty of people who are quite happy eating cheeseburgers for their own valid reasons, I'm pretty sure that restaurants selling steak aren't that worried.

What I cant understand about you Ray, why do you have to post negative comments on these products everyday, has it something to do with the medication you're on, you really blow me away.

We all get it you hate Windows 8 and RT, but I can tell you one thing you're doing a huge disservice to people considering Windows 8 for $39 because in my opinion that is the greatest bargain on the planet at the moment.

Just think in a few days people will have to pay $200 to upgrade to Windows 8 and you're scaring these people into thinking its not worth it at $39, doesn't that bother you.

Once again you prove that you can't handle points of view and personal choices that differ to yours, so all you can do is defer to insults.

My Computer

System One

• OS
C'mon guys. Don't start a fight. Big John will not like that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
C'mon guys. Don't start a fight. Big John will not like that.

It's ironic that I'm being constantly called a Windows hater by some; yet I'm helping out people in other sections, where they are having issues, and getting them back on track with Windows 8.:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
Ray, that is nothing personal. Just keep it down. We know you are a good helper. I think I know very well what you are saying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
That is true - if you want Windows 8. I got mine before they raise the prices. I run it in a virtual partition. Works very well, but I do not plan to use it for anything other than education. With 1 year of testing the pre-releases under the belt, I do not want to fall behind.

Well at least stop rubbishing it for a few days so other people can take advantage of the low price, you admit yourself you got it before they raise the price, help other people take advantage of the price before it goes up.

Once again you prove that you can't handle points of view and personal choices that differ to yours, so all you can do is defer to insults.

What insult, just making an observation, but if you like I'll take it back if you just stop rubbishing Windows 8 for a few days just so other people can get it at this very low price.

I'm not doing this for anybody but the average person, this really is too good a deal to be missed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
And then what. Did you see the MS apps store. Compare that to Google Playstore. And why would I want Win8 RT on a tablet when I can get a far superior Android and it's infrastructure.

You're comparing Google's establish 2 year plus store to Microsoft's 3 month old store? The same could of been said about Google's store compared to the Apple store when Android first came out. You do realize that the Google Store only had 16 tablet specific apps one year after the first Android tablet was released?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
You may be right. But if I buy now, I have to look at the situation right now. I am sure the MS store inventory will grow. But right now it is 90% garbage (as some reviewers claim).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I still take Windows RT over android or ios... :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
You may be right. But if I buy now, I have to look at the situation right now. I am sure the MS store inventory will grow. But right now it is 90% garbage (as some reviewers claim).

Ive got a few tablets both Android and IOS, same thing 90% garbage, even Apples own Apps haven't got a very good name. If I didn't already have a few tablets I'd get the Surface just to have a more unified experience across all my stuff.

You don't need that many Apps, just a few good ones, the Windows 8 store is growing at around 500 per day, I don't know if that includes RT. I know when I got my Acer there were virtually Zero apps for it in the store but eventually they came.

My Computer

System One

• OS
All 'gimped' MS products are doomed to fail. Why buy 8 Basic when you can get an ungimped Pro later?

From this consumers point of view I wouldn't touch the RT version. If I was to be swayed from an ipad, I'd want what Apple CANT give. Currently MS cant do that.

Questionably inferior tablets (model dependant), A 'notreally-OS' reliant on an app store with sweet flap all to offer? Yeah - here's my credit card...

As it stands, the MS app store is full of crap. Adding more crap daily still adds crap. Unlike Android/apple, which whilst admittedly have had years to establish a presence - there still aren't enough 'good' MS apps to counteract the bad.

Buying RT when you can buy PRO is like buying an Apple Touch vs an iPhone.

That's because you are rampant fanboi set on repeat.

If you aren't an MS employee, I'd look into that particular trait. It could be indicative of a deeper problem which currently and affects you in real life adversely.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    SmartEyeball Custom Systems
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @4.8ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Trident 2666mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    3x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB + ATH-AD900 Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x3 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    5760*1200/1920*1200 / 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200
    Case
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine MX Black // Filco Ninja TKL
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: Clevo Sager P170HM // 17.3 Matte 1920x1200 // i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz // Dedicated GTX 485M // 240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray // Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0 // NexStar USB 3.0 enclosure 500GB
The reality is that some here carry on like sales people and actually do more harm than good, because they paint everything about Windows 8 as being nigh on perfect. Some act as if it's a bodily appendage that is vital to life itself. If something is beyond criticism, then it's beyond hope.

My Computer

System One

• OS
All 'gimped' MS products are doomed to fail. Why buy 8 Basic when you can get an ungimped Pro later?

From this consumers point of view I wouldn't touch the RT version. If I was to be swayed from an ipad, I'd want what Apple CANT give. Currently MS cant do that.

Questionably inferior tablets (model dependant), A 'notreally-OS' reliant on an app store with sweet flap all to offer? Yeah - here's my credit card...

As it stands, the MS app store is full of crap. Adding more crap daily still adds crap. Unlike Android/apple, which whilst admittedly have had years to establish a presence - there still aren't enough 'good' MS apps to counteract the bad.

Buying RT when you can buy PRO is like buying an Apple Touch vs an iPhone.

That's because you are rampant fanboi set on repeat.

If you aren't an MS employee, I'd look into that particular trait. It could be indicative of a deeper problem which currently and affects you in real life adversely.

If everyone thought like you, there wouldn't be Apple, there wouldn't be Android, there would be only one of everything, one car, one plane, one phone, one TV, why build anything new if someone else is already doing it,

The good thing is, different people have different tastes and a lot of people are early adopters.

I suppose we could wait until you tell us there are enough good apps in the store for us to buy an RT tablet, but I don't think we'll be doing that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back