7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA

So your point is that Homegroup does the trick - sharing like between several PCs. Understand.

How about streaming from the PC - e.g. a TV program you run on the PC.

What is this TV program? I do believe there is an actual app for that for Windows RT...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I was not thinking of any specific TV program. My point was streaming (as opposed to sharing and copying) something to the tablet which is running on the PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Like Hulu, and Netflix, Yes

Crackle which is on the Xbox and Windows Phone, should not be far behind for Win8, among others.

Or streaming from youe Media PC,, I do not see why not.

If you are referring to streaming from a DVR or something, not sure....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I was not thinking of any specific TV program. My point was streaming (as opposed to sharing and copying) something to the tablet which is running on the PC.

Oh yeah, Xbox SmartGlass, the ones Tepid mentioned, Plex I belive it's called. If you want from an actual PC to the Windows RT tablet, I think I read about an app that was released on Windows 8 that does just that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
While I was in my local 'Hardly Normal' store buying Windows 8 recently, I got to chatting to the salesman, as you do. He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, computer-wise, but not entirely lacking in knowledge. We discussed Windows 8 for a while, then got onto beta-testing. He was running the RP at that time, and I had the CP.

Anyway, transaction completed, he asked if there was anything else he could help me with. So on the spur of the moment, I said 'Got any Surfaces'? He had, so I asked if I could check it out. I was curious, so I had a bit of a play around with it, and was quite impressed with it, for what it is.
Now, I'm not in the market for a tablet, but if I was, and if running x86 stuff wasn't an issue for me (it is), I'd buy one.
No question. It's much better than I expected, and streets ahead of the few Android tabs I've played with. Not interested in iPad at all.
Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Indeed - I was quite surprised at the headline, because (as someone who uses a Surface RT as a primary business device) I was a little surprised that Windows RT was DOA already.

<sarcasm>
All this time I thought I'd been using it to get stuff done, but apparently I was wrong!
</sarcasm>

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Indeed - I was quite surprised at the headline, because (as someone who uses a Surface RT as a primary business device) I was a little surprised that Windows RT was DOA already.

<sarcasm>
All this time I thought I'd been using it to get stuff done, but apparently I was wrong!
</sarcasm>

Well said cluberti. I use my ASUS Vivo Tab RT based tablet as primary out-and-about business device to get lots of real work done. I have complete access to my Exchange server, work databases, client and work related documents. It's easy and a snap to use. Certainly not DOA here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT
I'll stick with my Windows 8 slablet.

WEI.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/ WMC on all three.
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q702, Dell PWS M6600, Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    i3-3217u, i7-2720QM, Core 2 Extreme 9650
    Memory
    4gb, 16gb, 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000, AMD Radeon 6900M, ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" n-Trig Duosense IPS LCD, laptop monitor, dual 24" Dell monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768, 1920x1080, 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256gb Crucial mSATA 6 GBps,
    Keyboard
    touchscreen
    Mouse
    touchscreen
    Internet Speed
    Comcast cable
What on earth is a 'slablet' ??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Products like this Sony's Xperia Tablet Z announced: 1.5GHz quad-core, 10.1-inch 1,920 x 1,200 screen and 6.9mm thickness (and a myriad of similar stuff still to come) will give RT a difficult job when it comes to convince the general moneyspending public to part with their cash (and Apple is in the game as well).

And as Android evolves, together with major manufacturers offering more and more staggering high-tech \ highly-useable devices, the consumer masses may turn to it in larger and larger number. Do not doubt that Google\Android are planning for a serious and expanding future, they may have Apple primarily in the crosshairs, but may move on to shock MS later on.

IMO W8\MS's late and blotched attempt (so far) at catching up will face (aka is already facing) a serious uphill battle. And even if W8 products do have some success, Google & Apple will respond with powerful countermeasures. The coming 6 months will be quite telling, as hard facts and numbers will materialize.

Whatever, it'll be an interesting future, and the consumer may be the winning part as offerings, alternatives and specs evolves while pricing 'devolves'.

btw, personally I give a damn who makes what, as long as what I need to do gets done without headaches.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/ WMC on all three.
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q702, Dell PWS M6600, Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    i3-3217u, i7-2720QM, Core 2 Extreme 9650
    Memory
    4gb, 16gb, 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000, AMD Radeon 6900M, ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" n-Trig Duosense IPS LCD, laptop monitor, dual 24" Dell monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768, 1920x1080, 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256gb Crucial mSATA 6 GBps,
    Keyboard
    touchscreen
    Mouse
    touchscreen
    Internet Speed
    Comcast cable
Products like this Sony's Xperia Tablet Z announced: 1.5GHz quad-core, 10.1-inch 1,920 x 1,200 screen and 6.9mm thickness (and a myriad of similar stuff still to come) will give RT a difficult job when it comes to convince the general moneyspending public to part with their cash (and Apple is in the game as well).

And as Android evolves, together with major manufacturers offering more and more staggering high-tech \ highly-useable devices, the consumer masses may turn to it in larger and larger number. Do not doubt that Google\Android are planning for a serious and expanding future, they may have Apple primarily in the crosshairs, but may move on to shock MS later on.

IMO W8\MS's late and blotched attempt (so far) at catching up will face (aka is already facing) a serious uphill battle. And even if W8 products do have some success, Google & Apple will respond with powerful countermeasures. The coming 6 months will be quite telling, as hard facts and numbers will materialize.

Whatever, it'll be an interesting future, and the consumer may be the winning part as offerings, alternatives and specs evolves while pricing 'devolves'.

btw, personally I give a damn who makes what, as long as what I need to do gets done without headaches.
You made a very thoughtful post - I like. I wonder what Sony will charge for their Xperia Z. Looks like a nice piece of gear - although I did not have much luck with my Sony Vaio laptop. Had to RMA it.

I am currently using a $230 Nexus 32GB and it does all I need to do. No need to spend $500+ for a tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Also, there will also be competition from these types of devices, which are very cheap and suffiecient for many people: AnandTech - Acer C7 Chromebook Review.

Correct, that is another proliferation of the market. But it gets even better. Have a look at this little cute tablet that I am going to buy for my granddaughter. These things work very well - I tried one out. And this one is even rooted and Google Playstore enabled which makes it even better. No hassle with that.

Q88 4GB Allwinner Boxchip A13 Cortex A8 1.2GHz 512MB DDR3 Android 4.0 Tablet PC with 7" Capacitive Touch Screen and Dual Camera (Purple) - WorldWide Free Shipping

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I would probably give my parents a chromebook....

That is SUCH a pointless device, honestly. No wonder why it's about 200 some dollars, the advertising probably cost less! Speaking of such, google claims it's for "everyone." Posh. Have a multimedia collection? Not going to happen with a chromebook. Need to manage your idevice? Go away. Stream media to other devices, share with other devices? Not too simple or easy.

A better idea to, I believe, would be to take these low cost ARM motherboards that are used with android for these nettop box sets; pack Windows RT in them, connect a monitor and peripherals, you have an idiot-proof Windows operating system. Now THAT, I'd prefer to give my parents! Some people need to print pictures or documents from time to time, some people need to use Word from time to time, some people want something simple but able to plug in a digital camera or smartphone to manage media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Also, there will also be competition from these types of devices, which are very cheap and suffiecient for many people: AnandTech - Acer C7 Chromebook Review.

Correct, that is another proliferation of the market. But it gets even better. Have a look at this little cute tablet that I am going to buy for my granddaughter. These things work very well - I tried one out. And this one is even rooted and Google Playstore enabled which makes it even better. No hassle with that.

Q88 4GB Allwinner Boxchip A13 Cortex A8 1.2GHz 512MB DDR3 Android 4.0 Tablet PC with 7" Capacitive Touch Screen and Dual Camera (Purple) - WorldWide Free Shipping

As far back as I can remember the world has had toys, what's this got to do with computers. Wow I can't wait to go out and buy one of these little POS, I'll bet Steve Balmer must be shaking in his boots over this.

You know it's funny, I've seen cheap little Android devices all over the place in the last couple of years but I've never been tempted to buy one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Correct, that is another proliferation of the market.

Yes, cheap and cheerful will satisfy a large percentage of the market, that's why there's so much effort going into making cheap tablets. Android and iOS is not going away, more so Android, as it's coming out in so many sizes and Samsung has now revealed an 8" tablet to further kick Apple where it hurts (after they were forced to introduce a 7" iPad): Samsung exec confirms 8-inch Galaxy Note coming to MWC

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Correct, that is another proliferation of the market.

Yes, cheap and cheerful will satisfy a large percentage of the market, that's why there's so much effort going into making cheap tablets. Android and iOS is not going away, more so Android, as it's coming out in so many sizes and Samsung has now revealed an 8" tablet to further kick Apple where it hurts (after they were forced to introduce a 7" iPad): Samsung exec confirms 8-inch Galaxy Note coming to MWC

Yeah there's cheap and there's rubbish, a lot of this stuff is rubbish.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Last I've checked, android tablets are a small minority compared to ios. Just because they're cheap and cheerful doesn't mean they sell. You generally pay for what you get. Two hundred dollars does not equate to most people, quality.

Now MY question is, if these smaller, cheap, android tablet that run about 3-400 dollars that some PC makers like Acer build, why aren't they taking those devices and loading them with Windows RT? Vizio makes a 300 dollar android tablet, add Windows RT, BAM! Roughly a 400 dollar Windows RT tablet!

By the way, this is partly why I give no understanding to Acer for complaining about the Surface RT tablet and saying how they can't compete with that pricewise. Uh hu....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back