7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA

. . .just another article about why "I" hate Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Interesting, but an old song. About the only points they got right, IMO, are price and marketing. As Apple has proven with the sale of the iPad in the tens of millions, many people are not power users looking for a full OS device. My Windows RT based ASUS Vivo Tab is a super device that fully integrates into my MS ecosystem. As a consultant, I use it all day as a primary access point for email, documents, market information and client data. I turn to my desktop (or laptop when traveling) for the heavy lifting.

Posted from my ASUS Vivo Tab RT

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT
If it was an Apple Product there'd be a thousand stories around the net about the 50 reasons why you'd need RT. I really hope it does well because in the near future I can see me buying a tablet with RT or Surface, I'm getting bored with my iPad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Benefit of something like the iPad. Apple AirPlay. With an AppleTV device, $90...you can mirror your iPad output on your TV. It's stuff like this that make these types of devices so popular. I set that up at work this past week and it was really cool and super easy to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Benefit of something like the iPad. Apple AirPlay. With an AppleTV device, $90...you can mirror your iPad output on your TV. It's stuff like this that make these types of devices so popular. I set that up at work this past week and it was really cool and super easy to do.

Not that different than doing it with Windows RT and Xbox 360 using Smartglass.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP

Yeah I've got the Apple TV 3 as well, in Australia it's not worth two bob. As far as AirPlay yeah okay it's easy but then so is DLNA in PVR's etc which work with Android.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind the iPad, it's just a bit boring. I like the new way of doing things in Windows 8, most of it is easier than the iPad. Not sure if Surface has DLNA.

I can see Windows 8 and RT really taking off if people just give it a chance, problem is the media, they'll do anything to bury them both, man I'm glad I'm not Steve Balmer there must be millions of Voodoo doll look alikes with needles stuck in them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I'm curious when the tablets with technology where you DON'T touch the screen is going to come out. That's when I will try to enter the market more then likely. Windows RT i don't think is dead, it's just not used yet as the main source right now in certain markets. British Telecom are using Windows RT in the field apparently if you visit Microsoft Windows 8 Case Studies. I wouldn't put them in the lower category, I'd be willing to try it since ARM architecture isn't really appealing, if the price was lower, I'd be willing to get one. I'm definitely more a netbook kind of guy at this point looking for good Windows 8 options.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
    Lenovo B570
    CPU
    Intel Duo Core
    Memory
    4GB
After using my Windows 8 tablet for a week, I could not imagine being stuck in RT. The Windows App Store is terrible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/ WMC on all three.
    Fujitsu Stylistic Q702, Dell PWS M6600, Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    i3-3217u, i7-2720QM, Core 2 Extreme 9650
    Memory
    4gb, 16gb, 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000, AMD Radeon 6900M, ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" n-Trig Duosense IPS LCD, laptop monitor, dual 24" Dell monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768, 1920x1080, 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256gb Crucial mSATA 6 GBps,
    Keyboard
    touchscreen
    Mouse
    touchscreen
    Internet Speed
    Comcast cable
You know, I read that article, or most of it, couldn't take the garbage anymore.
Then I read that site and the majority of the articles on Win8 are negative.
Sorry, but it is all a bunch of rambling BS.

The article posted is complete BS, because RT was not designed for the domain environment and that is very very obvious..

It was designed for the average consumer, yet they couldn't help bashing the hell out of it, for what it was not designed to do in the first place.

Garbage articles filled with misinformation and lies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I think they got a good point. If I look at my $230 Nexus7 and what I can do with it, this RT looks pretty sad. I think this conclusion is correct:

The obvious conclusion? There aren't any such customers. Windows RT is an OS that nobody asked for, sent in search of a market that's already well served by other options

Or as we used to say;" A perfect solution for a non-existing problem".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
After using my Windows 8 tablet for a week, I could not imagine being stuck in RT. The Windows App Store is terrible.

That's why it so great to have options. Some will like and find great utility in the Windows RT based system, and others will what something else. I want options -- Windows RT, Windows 8, Apple, Android -- it's all good for the consumer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT
I just read that article and I think 'nail was hit on head'. There was no bias whatsoever and restated what has been said here before the article was even published. It acknowledged Microsoft's reasons for creating RT, but that it was competing with two giants in the field with a product that isn't much different, nor cheaper. I wouldn't be surprised if RT simply fades away as Windows 8 gains traction in the next few years. When you can get both capabilities in Windows 8, why not have your cake and eat it as well?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
RT isnt your good old windows. Its a tablet specific OS. It needs billions of good apps, and they are playing catch up...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 home premium 64bit
I don't know about Windows RT for the future. Honestly, it seems more like a stopgap measure to get Intel and AMD on the ball to deliver x86 chips that don't suck so much power. That's the biggest problem they have. The biggest problem for the ARM processor is that is needs more processing power while sucking a little bit of power.

Intel has projections that they'll reach that goal of "all day battery life" within three to five years. AMD announced an x86 SoC type processor, as well as solving the issue of graphical performance all chips have.

We'll have to see where Qualcomm, NVIDIA, and Samsung go with ARM. On the smartphone, it's great. On a tablet PCesque device, not so much. It is impressive however what the software can do considering the other devices out there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I think it is quite impressive on a trablet too. My Tegra3 on the Nexus is super fast. Compares to my i7 on my desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Although Windows RT is more impressive than android in several respects. I can plug my Windows Phone into it and transfer music, pictures, and documents on and off it! Try that with an android tablet and android smartphone! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Although Windows RT is more impressive than android in several respects. I can plug my Windows Phone into it and transfer music, pictures, and documents on and off it! Try that with an android tablet and android smartphone! :cool:

I transfer stuff from my PC to my Android tablet all the time - and I don't even have to plug it in. Goes via the router. The guys from the Android forum showed me how to do it. See here: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/660389-file-transfer-pc-wifi.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

I transfer stuff from my PC to my Android tablet all the time - and I don't even have to plug it in. Goes via the router. The guys from the Android forum showed me how to do it. See here: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/660389-file-transfer-pc-wifi.html

Ahh, the point is missed. I can also use my PC to transfer media to and from my Windows Phone. But, I cannot plug in m Windows RT tablet to my PC, as it is its own entity, not a dependent like android or ios. I too could be able to use HomeGroup to connect to my other PC to my Windows RT tablet and share files wireless over the network. From that Windows RT tablet PC, I can then transfer a downloaded file off HomeGroup to my Windows Phone. This is what's impressive. I could probably also take your nexus and plug it into my theoretical Windows RT tablet, and put media on and off of it. Power of impressive software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
So your point is that Homegroup does the trick - sharing like between several PCs. Understand.

How about streaming from the PC - e.g. a TV program you run on the PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back