• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved 215 important updates - What is happening here?

CollieJim

I just updated Windows 8.1 a few days ago on a system that rarely gets used.

I turned it on again today and found that Windows Update now tells me that there are 215 important updates and 6 optional updates.

Has my system forgotten that it has ever been updated?

Also, will I have to take any action to get Windows 10? I had it installed and then had to restore to factory.

Thanks
Jim

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop

strollin

Old Guys Rule!
VIP Member
Pro User
N. Calif

If you restored to factory, then you should expect many updates as it is trying to install all of the updates that were released since the factory image was created. If you plan to go to Win 10 anyway, don't bother installing those updates. Download and run the Media Creation Tool which will allow you to create an ISO or USB installer to use to install Win 10 directly without going thru Windows Update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    Home built i7-8700K, Toshiba Satellite S55-A Laptop, MS Surface Pro 3, Dell Inspiron 15 5000
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 2.4Ghz Core i7-3630QM, 1.9Ghz Core i5 4300U, 2.8Ghz Core i5 6200U
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Toshiba, MS, Dell
    Memory
    16G, 12G, 4G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 1050, Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2817Q 28", 15.6"
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160, 1366x768 (laptop)
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data on Desktop, 512GB ssd for laptop, 128GB SSD tablet, 500GB ssd laptop
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    120Mbps/6Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    MSE on desktop, Defender on laptop
    Other Info
    Retired after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant.

CollieJim

Thanks for the link. As I have updated at least twice since the restore, it just seemed a bit strange that only now am I presented with a large number of updates. I suppose some are dependent on others...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop