• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved 100% disk usage

gCoreByte

Hi!

I recently had a power failure while playing DotA 2 and now my fan/harddrive is making a weird noise.

Resource Monitor points that my C: drive (My only one) is running at 100%. Mostly it is being used by MsMpEng, which should be Windows Defender. It shows it scanning stuff (C:\Users\-----\Documents\Games Downloads\StarMade.exe). When I open Windows Defender it however doesn't show it scanning anything.

I am really worried. PLEASE HELP

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i5
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Defender
Hi gCoreByte, is this still happening? The reason I ask is I recently did a clean install of 8.1 and saw the same - Defender was using all Disk (and CPU actually) it could for several hours. So was the indexing service. Once it had finished it all settled down.

I don't think you necessarily need to be worried but if it is still happening please post a picture from task manager details tab.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender

gCoreByte

Its done and turns out both the fan and harddrive were causing it. The fan had got clogged from the dust (Construction outside) and the harddrive was indexing :D

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i5
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Defender

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)