Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Could a virus on other drive effect another?

  1. #1


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 and windows 10 insider

    Could a virus on other drive effect another?


    Hello, sorry for the uninformative title, here's my question: I have windows 10 installed on an external drive, if this drive became infected (virus, malware, spyware, e.t.c.) could it then effect my internal windows 8 drive?

    EDIT: When I use windows 10 I turn the other OS's drive to offline.
    Last edited by hackFORlife; 09 Jul 2015 at 09:49. Reason: More info

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    I would think so mattering to type of virus.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    It can be infected by a special type of malware called: "worm" is designed to automatically replicate and distribute itself from one storage media to another storage media (such as external hard drive, internal hard drive, network drive, floppy disk drive, or usb flash drive).

    Iloveyou worm used email as its channel and Stuxnet worm used a small usb flash drive as its channel. Found the info here: What are the harmful effects of a computer worm? | Laptapos.com
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 and windows 10 insider


    Quote Originally Posted by cipals15 View Post
    It can be infected by a special type of malware called: "worm" is designed to automatically replicate and distribute itself from one storage media to another storage media (such as external hard drive, internal hard drive, network drive, floppy disk drive, or usb flash drive).

    Iloveyou worm used email as its channel and Stuxnet worm used a small usb flash drive as its channel. Found the info here: What are the harmful effects of a computer worm? | Laptapos.com
    Even if the other drives are offline?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by hackFORlife View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cipals15 View Post
    It can be infected by a special type of malware called: "worm" is designed to automatically replicate and distribute itself from one storage media to another storage media (such as external hard drive, internal hard drive, network drive, floppy disk drive, or usb flash drive).Iloveyou worm used email as its channel and Stuxnet worm used a small usb flash drive as its channel. Found the info here: What are the harmful effects of a computer worm? | Laptapos.com
    Even if the other drives are offline?
    No, technically not possible.However there's nothing stopping said malware from bringing the disk back online, and writing to it.If the disk is not spinning, or the heads are parked, its impossible for malware to be written to it.Considering HDD cache, it's possible, be it pretty slim, that malware could write to the HDD cache and wait for the disk to come online. That would take near perfect knowledge of the firmware, or knowledge of a huge flaw in it. More likely to be a highly targeted attack if it happened.Not to drift too far from the topic though.SSDs are another beast, as they have no heads to park, and onlining/offlining one would be nearly instant.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    I was thinking about this a long time ago and thought about using 2 SSD hard drives.. 1 would be a clean install of windows where I ONLY use it for like banking websites and purchasing things and you know, sensitive information things..

    and then the completely separate other Hard drive.. Both have windows installed on them..

    which I would just literally swap in and out only when I used it for all the other crap I do that isn't so "sensitive" and could potentially harm me in whatever I do.. like trying beta software or watching risque youtube videos.. so I would have 2 complete separate hard drives that would be only 1 in the machine at 1 time..

    then could a virus somehow get to the "clean" system hard drive?
    I would only ever have the clean system hard drive plugged in whenever I just wanted to do my "sensitive" stuff..

    SSd's are like $90-150 now on amazon.. so buying 2 isn't a problem at all..

    hope this makes sense
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by brooksndun View Post
    I was thinking about this a long time ago and thought about using 2 SSD hard drives.. 1 would be a clean install of windows where I ONLY use it for like banking websites and purchasing things and you know, sensitive information things..

    and then the completely separate other Hard drive.. Both have windows installed on them..

    which I would just literally swap in and out only when I used it for all the other crap I do that isn't so "sensitive" and could potentially harm me in whatever I do.. like trying beta software or watching risque youtube videos.. so I would have 2 complete separate hard drives that would be only 1 in the machine at 1 time..

    then could a virus somehow get to the "clean" system hard drive?
    I would only ever have the clean system hard drive plugged in whenever I just wanted to do my "sensitive" stuff..

    SSd's are like $90-150 now on amazon.. so buying 2 isn't a problem at all..

    hope this makes sense
    By nature of how computers work, your idea is almost perfect, except for the risk of other computers on the network.


    I'm let you in on a method of mine, which I trust to work.

    Disclaimer:
    This method of mine is only as secure as the hardware of the computer (example: hardware keyloggers) and network infrastructure (unencrypted traffic is never secure anywhere). A hardware keylogger can't really be beat, so stand public computer practice still applies. "If you don't own the computer, it owns you."


    I've used this method for years and haven't had any issues. You avoid the need to swap hard drives quite easily as well.

    First you must go to the trouble of making an custom Windows PE. Include some security tools, enhanced firewall, highly restricted, stripped down networking. Add a basic explorer shell, and a web browser. Configure it to not mount any partitions at boot and limit it's drivers to a bare minimum. Then package it up to boot and run from memory. (~200MB to 400MB total size)

    Then if you want more security, you create a secure Linux live boot operating system. Same ideas as above. Security by minimalism and lightness (reduced attack surface).

    Include tools on both that detect things like arp poisoning and other bad things hackers employ.

    Put together a secure boot compatible bootloader, and include a bootloader for legacy BIOS systems as well, package it up into an ISO thats less than 1GB.

    Then find yourself an old flash drive and write the ISO to the flash drive and be sure to tell the flash drives firmware to emulate a cdrom and force read only mode.

    Then you boot the flash drive when you require a secure environment.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Could a virus on other drive effect another?
Related Threads
Since upgrading to W8.1, GE now looks like 3-d without using glasses...a double image of red/blue. I don't have anything 3-d related on my PC. I searched Google Earth 3-d and nothing came up. Any ideas?
Effect of RAM Upgrade? in Drivers & Hardware
How do I calculate the effect on Performance of my PC if I upgrade RAM? :D
i want to completely remove an application from my system i was recommended Revo uninstaller i googled about it and it says it make or delete some changes in computer registry i just wanted to know is there any bad effect of this software (revo) computer on registry if i use it in completely...
Solved Tardis effect in Chillout Room
Can someone explain how and why an 800MB avi file emerges from a dvd conversion process a whopping 2.5GB ? The conversion was completely without any formatting ie, titles text, and chapters etc. Trivial I realise, just very curious. Thank you.
Placebo effect? in General Support
I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or not, but I just finished installing that huge update to Windows 8.1 (~950MB) and now, for some reason, CPU intensive tasks seems a lot quicker. I've also noticed that gaming is smoother since the update. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just...
Fast boot no effect in Performance & Maintenance
I have Asus Maximus V formula z77 with latest EUFI firmware, and EVGA GTX 680 classified with EUFI firmware. Bios is set to fast boot etc, and it is enabled in windows, but I'm seeing no difference from before. I was using boot racer and seeing 11-14 second windows load times with another 10-15...
This recent thread (Way of Performing Clean Install of Windows 8 OEM) (which also spawned this one--Marketplace Vote Win8 OEM Machine) identifies a number problems arising because of the way OEM’s (particularly Dell) are installing Win8. The first thread, at its most fundamental level, deals with...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook