Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Do you think Win8 gold will have AV preinstalled?

View Poll Results: WindWill the gold version ofows 8 have antivirus preinstalled?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 90.91%
  • No

    1 9.09%
  1. #11


    Konceptz, I'm afraid that you brought us a good tip. MSE DOES detect root kits, but it will not run on Windows 8. Windows Defender for Windows 8 does not detect root kits. And that, my friend, was a very important piece of information.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8 RP x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
    Konceptz, I'm afraid that you brought us a good tip. MSE DOES detect root kits, but it will not run on Windows 8. Windows Defender for Windows 8 does not detect root kits. And that, my friend, was a very important piece of information.
    As stated in my other post, the reason why MSE can't be installed is because Windows Defender, in Windows 8, is MSE.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    There's a problem here, ilovewindows8. Nothing that I can find on the internet states that Windows Defender will remove root kits. And the problem gets worse.

    Win 8 rejects Panda's free anti-rootkit program. The free AVG Anti-rootkit cannot run on a 64-bit system. I reluctantly installed the Sophos anti-virus program because it claims to have strong root kit protection. But these three programs are all from two to six years old. I am currently downloading MacAfee's free anti-rootkit program, which was updated April 26, 2012.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8 RP x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
    There's a problem here, ilovewindows8. Nothing that I can find on the internet states that Windows Defender will remove root kits.
    I don't think you bothered to read my post. Windows Defender in Windows 8 is Microsoft Security Essentials.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
    There's a problem here, ilovewindows8. Nothing that I can find on the internet states that Windows Defender will remove root kits. And the problem gets worse.

    Win 8 rejects Panda's free anti-rootkit program. The free AVG Anti-rootkit cannot run on a 64-bit system. I reluctantly installed the Sophos anti-virus program because it claims to have strong root kit protection. But these three programs are all from two to six years old. I am currently downloading MacAfee's free anti-rootkit program, which was updated April 26, 2012.
    No where on the internet that I can find states that my car will go in reverse, but I'm pretty sure it does.

    Frankly you're just looking for protection from the black plague. Rootkits are simply a means of infection, and an old one at that. They may crop up again, but antimalware programs such as W8D can catch them as well as any other form of malware.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    The free Sophos anti-virus program includes rootkit detection, but it takes forever to run a scan. However, it does not turn off Defender, so I will keep it. The MacAfee root kit scanner was last updated in April, took about ten minutes to run, and works fine. I'll keep it.

    I would like to see a statement from Microsoft that the Windows 8 version of Windows Defender includes anti-root kit protection. At this point in time, I can find no such statement.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8 RP x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
    I would like to see a statement from Microsoft that the Windows 8 version of Windows Defender includes anti-root kit protection. At this point in time, I can find no such statement.
    Are you seriously not reading what is being typed in response to you?

    THE WINDOWS DEFENDER IN WINDOWS 8 IS MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS. MSE detects rootkits, therefore Windows 8 Defender detects rootkits.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Let me explain this:

    In Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials scanned for viruses and root kits. And it included Windows Defender, which scanned for spyware and nothing else.

    In Windows 8, Windows Defender scans for viruses and spyware.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by ilovewindows8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
    I would like to see a statement from Microsoft that the Windows 8 version of Windows Defender includes anti-root kit protection. At this point in time, I can find no such statement.
    Are you seriously not reading what is being typed in response to you?

    THE WINDOWS DEFENDER IN WINDOWS 8 IS MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS. MSE detects rootkits, therefore Windows 8 Defender detects rootkits.
    Are you a Mac user? Because you are basically nitpicking. At this point malware is malware. They may use different entry methods and do different things, but they all are malware. And while rootkits are known to try to hide, that is something else that antimalware programs look for.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Do you think Win8 gold will have AV preinstalled?
Related Threads
I am looking to install Win7 Ultimate on my ASUS system and have 2 drives. I need win7 for work and really dont like 8 anyway. 8 was preinstalled. As you can tell from the screenshot i have a Virtual Clone drive (H: ) of the win7 iso. The BIOS has UEFI. Basically wanting to dual boot. I have been...
Hi David, Congratulations on your second Gold Pip in addition to your recent induction into the Gold Member Club! Way to go friend! my2cents
Does Lenovo's high earnings show there's gold in Windows 8? | Computerworld Blogs
So I just got a nice new hp envy dv7 7273ca laptop. It seems great really, wonderful 17.3" screen, beats audio, full keyboard, it's got it all. There's just one problem - windows 8. I've been trying to get acquainted with the newer OS, and I can't seem to do it. So I just figured I'd install win7...
https://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/5900-newbie-question.html My Newbie Question thread has a bunch of tiny gold stars next to it. What are they for ? I know the question is anything but important.:sleepy: 6022
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook