Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Free malware removal software

  1. #11


    Not one single anti virus is the "best" especially when we are talking about "free" anti viruses. I would suggest trying out some different ones and seeing which one you like the most. MOST anti virus companies even have forums where you can request for assistance in removing a virus if you use their products.

    I don't even use Windows Defender though. I run Malwarebytes PRO and Malwarebytes anti exploit tool. Besides those two items I have zero software to protect me. The best protection is common sense/logic.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 419
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by loveandpower View Post
    I don't even use Windows Defender though. I run Malwarebytes PRO and Malwarebytes anti exploit tool. Besides those two items I have zero software to protect me.
    If you don't have an AV installed, you are using Windows Defender. MBAM free/pro is not an anti-virus itself and is only designed to pick up things that a lot of AV don't get.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Trnava
    Posts : 683
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64


    I prefer to use portable versions, it is faster to use and some malware can prevent installations.

    Dr.Web CureIt! and Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit

    HitmanPro - it is an extremely fast scanner, it can be used as a second AV along your realtime, since it only scans at startup, but it does not clean, unless you activate a trial. But you need to find at first anyway.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by LovingWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by loveandpower View Post
    I don't even use Windows Defender though. I run Malwarebytes PRO and Malwarebytes anti exploit tool. Besides those two items I have zero software to protect me.
    If you don't have an AV installed, you are using Windows Defender. MBAM free/pro is not an anti-virus itself and is only designed to pick up things that a lot of AV don't get.
    Defender is disabled...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by loveandpower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by loveandpower View Post
    I don't even use Windows Defender though. I run Malwarebytes PRO and Malwarebytes anti exploit tool. Besides those two items I have zero software to protect me.
    If you don't have an AV installed, you are using Windows Defender. MBAM free/pro is not an anti-virus itself and is only designed to pick up things that a lot of AV don't get.
    Defender is disabled...
    You will find your life easier (if you ever access the internet) if you use some anti-virus software.
    Windows Defender is anti-virus software. You do not have to use it - that is entirely up to you. To recommend another to not use anything is rather silly really.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by loveandpower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingWindows View Post

    If you don't have an AV installed, you are using Windows Defender. MBAM free/pro is not an anti-virus itself and is only designed to pick up things that a lot of AV don't get.
    Defender is disabled...
    You will find your life easier (if you ever access the internet) if you use some anti-virus software.
    Windows Defender is anti-virus software. You do not have to use it - that is entirely up to you. To recommend another to not use anything is rather silly really.
    I have to defend my statement here, but at the same time I will say I understand where you are coming from. Once upon a time I did as well.

    If a person wanted to be serious about security they would use one kind of a Linux/Unix OS.Is it not true though? Logic is and will always be your best security. yes, it can be nice to have an anti virus but it will not catch everything. I mean as long as you aren't looking at some deep dark underground stuff or some really really out of the way type of naughty video you don't have too much too worry about. Yes, everyday websites get hacked but that doesn't mean you will be. Yes, identity theft is at large and I would encourage some kind of identify protection to anybody (the credit card company I use has a free monitoring service true it isn't the best in the world but still!)

    Now true I have to give you the benefit of the doubt not everyone is going to be as knowledgeable as me when it comes to removing viruses so I can understand yours and others skepticism but I just don't see viruses as a major threat with the setup I have and the setup I would encourage anybody to have.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Canon City
    Posts : 249
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    If I may ask what is your setup? AV is a good solution for everybody and since so many are free there is no reason to not use them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Trnava
    Posts : 683
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    AV is a good solution for everybody and since so many are free there is no reason to not use them.
    There is no reason to use them either, they take resources and their real detection rate is about 50-60%. AV tests show 99%, but that is for known viruses. I have not used AV nor firewall for years and so far so good.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    If I may ask what is your setup? AV is a good solution for everybody and since so many are free there is no reason to not use them.
    Oops sorry! I didn't realize others had posted on here. I use Malwarebytes PRO (but you could use free I guess) and Malwarebytes anti exploit tool. Besides that, I have Defender disabled. I use my routers native firewall options as I find it to be easier UI wise than Windows 8.

    Besides that, I use logic when browsing the internet. I have been virus free for over five years for that very reason. Browse smart. There is an old proverb and this isn't the exact words but it's something like

    "if you look for trouble you are surely to find it" or something like that. But my point being the every day website isn't going to infect you it's the site/sites that may pop up or advertisements from your bad browsing that is probably going to take you down and be your downfall. If you wanted further security have your browser(s) to erase your temporary folder/cache/cookies at the end of every session.

    I normally run Windows 8.1 but I also have a Xubuntu ( just a preference I know there are better... ) dual booted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Canon City
    Posts : 249
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Thanks for the clarification, I thought you where saying you ran nothing at all. Smart browsing is truly the key which I agree but that works from a case to case basis as some people just don't understand the idea of being careful where you browse.

    TairikuOkami,
    I am sorry but I disagree on the no Firewall's, that is an important part of any system security. Even on my Ubuntu machines I run a Firewall as they use little to no resources and can block a lot of garbage. This is part of the reason why I use Avast Internet Security is for a secondary Firewall.

    So basically I have my routers Firewall, Windows Firewall and Avast Firewall.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Free malware removal software
Related Threads
I hope this is the correct section to post this. I've just installed the latest Windows updates and I checked the Malicious Software Removal tool log. In scrolling through the log, I've only just realized that this tool is running periodically throughout the day. The time intervals vary. Is...
Solved Malware bytes Free Version in System Security
Right now, I have Panda installed. But, I was wondering if I should try the free version of Malware bytes. Is it the same as Panda, or better?
I just looked at the Malicious Software Removal Tool log which seems to be located in the following folder, %windir%\debug\mrt.log Looking at the log it seems to be running daily as there is an entry for each day since I installed W8.1 I thought this tool ran once and then deleted itself....
Malware Anti exploit free in System Security
Anyone install this and like it or not?
I have a Dell windows 6.1 Pro 11" tablet where the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool crashes every day. It usually happens in the middle of the night when the machine is docked and snoozing. I am getting close to removing it, but before I do that has anyone got any idea why?
Microsoft Releases Malicious Software Removal Tool 5.4
Free malware scan in System Security
I found that Trend Micro offers a free malware test. Is this advisable to use or will it likely place something in my machine I do not want. They say the launcher can be used again. I have defender with the Win 8 native firewall and MBAM.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook