Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Strange process that I've never installed

  1. #11


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    The original two cows logo was picked because of that, because the acronym almost spelled two cows .

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The original two cows logo was picked because of that, because the acronym almost spelled two cows .
    Yeeh, I saw cow, cow said moooo and I left it at that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcwisgod View Post
    Alright not gonna worry much about it then, is there any way to tell what could've been downloaded that uses Akami?
    It's not abnormal to see svchost connect to Akamai IP addresses, as they're a content delivery company who Microsoft use. You'll probably see other system processes connecting to Akamai IP addresses as well.

    The problem with Akamai IP addresses is that it's not easy to do a reverse IP lookup to see exactly what host the IP address was for, as it will usually just show something along the lines of [IP].deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com, which could be anything. With Akamai IP's I've found they're not usually stored in the DNS cache either, so "ipconfig /displaydns" won't help. So essentially it could be svchost.exe connecting to windowsupdate.com or update.microsoft.com to check for updates, or it could be connecting to crl.startssl.com or crl.verisign.com to check for Certificate Revocation Lists. Because quite a few big companies use Akamai it's a guessing game, unless you captured the traffic at the time.

    The only real way to see what connections are for is to use packet capture software such as Wireshark or Microsoft Network Monitor to see what host it's connecting to and what URI's it's requesting.

    I've never seen svchost connect to Verio though (although maybe it's a geographical thing).
    Idk much about it, I just noticed it while using TCPView to check if I was part of a botnet because my Router Log reported DDoS attacks from my own IP, I did notice one thing but I'm not 100% sure why it's there.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 446
    Win 8 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Jcwisgod View Post
    Idk much about it, I just noticed it while using TCPView to check if I was part of a botnet because my Router Log reported DDoS attacks from my own IP, I did notice one thing but I'm not 100% sure why it's there.

    Click image for larger version
    That's different to what I was talking about as that looks like you've actually installed Akamai NetSession Download Manager software. It may well be legitimate, however I wouldn't be too happy having that running on my computer, as according to Wikipedia it uses your computer as a peer-to-peer network to distribute their files.

    It's pretty shocking if as Kari says Microsoft, Adobe, etc. get users to install this 'Download Manager' to download content and essentially turn their users computers into p2p file servers.

    Personally I would un-install it, however I've just noticed that you posted about it previously, but was unable to get rid of it. I don't know what to suggest as I've never had it installed, so I'd just be doing the same as you and Googling un-install instructions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    It's pretty shocking if as Kari says Microsoft, Adobe, etc. get users to install this 'Download Manager' to download content and essentially turn their users computers into p2p file servers.
    This is one of those non-issues that circulate among Windows users every now and then. There's nothing to be worried about, Microsoft, Adboe & Co. are not making your PC into a P2P file server.

    No reason to panic, no problems, nothing to be worried about. Of course if you want to be absolutely sure and not let anything on your PC, disconnect it from the network and never reconnect.

    For Microsoft (MSDN, TechNet), here's the Akamai FAQ: Akamai Download Manager Help for MSDN Subscriptions
    And here for Adobe: Akamai Download Manager FAQ

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcwisgod View Post
    Idk much about it, I just noticed it while using TCPView to check if I was part of a botnet because my Router Log reported DDoS attacks from my own IP, I did notice one thing but I'm not 100% sure why it's there.

    Click image for larger version
    That's different to what I was talking about as that looks like you've actually installed Akamai NetSession Download Manager software. It may well be legitimate, however I wouldn't be too happy having that running on my computer, as according to Wikipedia it uses your computer as a peer-to-peer network to distribute their files.

    It's pretty shocking if as Kari says Microsoft, Adobe, etc. get users to install this 'Download Manager' to download content and essentially turn their users computers into p2p file servers.

    Personally I would un-install it, however I've just noticed that you posted about it previously, but was unable to get rid of it. I don't know what to suggest as I've never had it installed, so I'd just be doing the same as you and Googling un-install instructions.
    Somehow I did, can't figure out how to remove it, really a pain in the butt, I click on it and it says application not found.
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Looks like the registry entry for it is borked. You could do a registry search for Akamai NetSession Interface Control Process and delete entries. Backup (export) registry first.
    Last edited by popeye; 27 Feb 2014 at 17:51.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Looks like the registry entry for it is borked. You could do a registry search for Akamai NetSession Interface Control Process and delete entries. Backup (export) registry first.
    How do I back it up first? By just going to file then export, then it's backed up?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    In regedit top menu: File > Export.

    Then to search and delete Edit > Find. Keep hitting F3 to find all instances of the search string. Be very careful not to delete anything other than Keys that have "Akamai NetSession Interface Control Process" in them.

    If something bad should happen, reboot safe mode and import your registry backup.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Appreciate it, and so I should delete the highlighted ones below or all?

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Strange process that I've never installed
Related Threads
KB2919442 installed then not installed in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit If I go to Control Panel/Windows Update/View Update History KB2919442 is shown as installed successfully on the 12 March 2014 "BUT" if I go to Control Panel/Windows Update/Installed Updates there is no KB2919442 listed. If I download KB2919442 directly...
Solved Have process run before DWM in Software and Apps
So I'm trying to have an .exe file run before desktop windows manager loads. I know how to make it load at start but I don't know how to make it run before DWM, since this could be dangerous stuff I'm asking first. Thank you.
Upgrade to 8.1 process in General Support
I upgraded to Windows 8.1 through the Windows updates. Does it download somewhere on my computer so I can save the file if i need to reinstall later? I looked and can't find it. If I ever need to reinstall Windows would I install Version 8.0 from the disc I purchased and then install updates?
so I was downloading the updates to windows 8.1, but it wasn't going anywhere so I rebooted. Then on reboot, I try again and it's not showing up on the store. I hit the back button a few times and saw the link again, but it says it's already installed. Now I am pretty sure it didn't get...
Critical Process Died in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello. I bought this laptop 2 days ago, it also came with Windows 8, and yesterday I was thinking about installing Windows 7 or 8, I ended up installing Windows 8, eventhough I don't like it, I installed a bunch of those programs that make it look like Windows 7, and everything was fine, I...
Solved BSOD while in the process of shutting down pc in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
When i shut down my pc, i get a BSOD when the pc is in the process of closing everything. My screen is allready in standy, but then it comes alive with a BSOD. Then the pc starts up again and when i shut down directly after it has done its start up procedure nothing is going wrong and it shuts...
I am just wondering, do you think the ability to upgrade will be present when the RTM and newer builds of 8 come out? Having to reinstall the whole thing seems tedious. I know in 10.7 Lion the developer preview builds (at least for the first 3) you had to completely reinstall the OS fresh, you...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook