Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


A bug in 'Restore defaults' in Windows Firewall?

  1. #1


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8

    A bug in 'Restore defaults' in Windows Firewall?


    If you click 'Restore defaults' on Windows Firewall, these apps below will be gone from Windows Firewall and can't be back again.


    Bing
    Finance
    Games
    Mail, Calendar, People. and Messaging
    Maps
    Music
    News
    Photos
    Reader - Pr
    SkyDrive
    Sports
    Store
    Travel
    Video
    Weather


    Windows 8 tells again and again that there are updates for these apps but none of it is able to be updated. The progress bar of the download doesn't move indefinitely. I think because of the firewall. I have tried wsreset.exe but it doesn't help.


    How can I restore those apps to Windows Firewall?

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8


    I tried to update a Weather app in Metro screen without a Weather app in the firewall list, but it wasn't able to download the update. The progress bar of the download didn't move indefinitely, so I forced to stop the download.

    But the Weather icon was gone. See pictures below. How can I get the Weather icon back? And how can I restore all of the above apps to Windows Firewall? Thanks

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by harlan View Post
    I tried to update a Weather app in Metro screen without a Weather app in the firewall list, but it wasn't able to download the update. The progress bar of the download didn't move indefinitely, so I forced to stop the download.

    But the Weather icon was gone. See pictures below. How can I get the Weather icon back? And how can I restore all of the above apps to Windows Firewall? Thanks

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
    Download it again from the store
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by harlan View Post
    If you click 'Restore defaults' on Windows Firewall, these apps below will be gone from Windows Firewall and can't be back again.


    Bing
    Finance
    Games
    Mail, Calendar, People. and Messaging
    Maps
    Music
    News
    Photos
    Reader - Pr
    SkyDrive
    Sports
    Store
    Travel
    Video
    Weather


    Windows 8 tells again and again that there are updates for these apps but none of it is able to be updated. The progress bar of the download doesn't move indefinitely. I think because of the firewall. I have tried wsreset.exe but it doesn't help.


    How can I restore those apps to Windows Firewall?

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    a) Type in Control Panel on the Start Page.
    b) On the left side, click Control Panel.
    c) Click on Windows Firewall.
    d) On the left pane, click on "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall".
    e) Under the Allowed apps and features, look for Store and the other apps
    f) Make sure you have a click in Private and or Public.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by garydexter View Post
    a) Type in Control Panel on the Start Page.
    b) On the left side, click Control Panel.
    c) Click on Windows Firewall.
    d) On the left pane, click on "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall".
    e) Under the Allowed apps and features, look for Store and the other apps
    f) Make sure you have a click in Private and or Public.
    Thanks for your reply, but you didn't read my post carefully.

    I said that all of those apps are missing from the firewall list.

    I want to restore the apps to the firewall list but it needs an executable file (*.exe) to add to the list, but the apps seem don't use executable files. I have looked into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps but I don't know how to find the files to add to the list.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Apologies

    Follow insturctions here: How to Access Metro Style Apps Installation Folder in Windows 8

    The Apps are then listed as Applications, for example this is the Netflix App:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8


    Thanks for the instructions.


    Clicking that 'Restore defaults' should make easier, but it actually makes trouble, and it takes a lot of effort to fix it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

A bug in 'Restore defaults' in Windows Firewall?
Related Threads
Source: YouTube Engineering and Developers Blog: YouTube now defaults to HTML5 <video>
I have customized my Taskbar icons. But, I would like to reset them to factory defaults without resetting or restoring the computer. I am also having this issue with my Win 7 Laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How to Backup and Restore All Windows Firewall Settings Windows Firewall is software that checks information coming from the Internet or a network, and then either blocks it or allows it to pass through to your computer, depending on your firewall settings. This tutorial will show you how...
Someone touched on the bug where the computer turn off the wireless connections and defaults into airplane mode. I had this problem with Win8. The option to easily toggle airplane mode on and off become grayed out unchangeable. The only way I found to temporarily fix the problem was to rightclick...
Hi What does this error mean ?"CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" 24123 Can anyone help why this error occurs? I 've removed the battery on the motherboard and it worked well . , But again there was the same error. F 1 and F 2 keys do not work.
I bought a Windows 8 laptop, ASUS Q500A, and reformatted it with Windows 7. I went into the BIOS and used "Restore Defaults" and now all Boot Option Priorities are deleted. Each time I boot the laptop, it automatically goes to BIOS (or UEFI). I tried inserting the Windows 7 disc so I can...
Reset ClearType to defaults in General Support
Hello, I made some changes in ClearType using "adjust ClearType text" option, but I would like back do defaults. How can I do this? I searched in web, but all "tutorials" are about Windows 7 with a screen less.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook