Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Sound crackling/popping

  1. #1


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1

    Sound crackling/popping


    I had crackling sound problem in my old computer, and now after building new one it still exist. All parts are new except RAM.

    When I watch video without pausing it there wont be any crackling, if i pause/play it fast there will be popping/crackling sound. Problem is pretty bad in Mumble/teamspeak when there is few people speaking, same in many games when there is many different audio sources to play. Crackling and popping really makes gaming with friends annoying...

    I have tried different headphones, fresh install windows, new audio drivers.

    Here is few videos I recorded (using speakers)
    in this video i turn volume completely off and then back on


    and this i only adjust volume low/high (pretty fast)
    Last edited by Oispakaljaa; 06 Feb 2015 at 11:37.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Click image for larger version

    Heres latencymon results
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    First thing I see is Latency Mon refers to "High Definition Audio" and not the actual device, such as RealTek, which suggests you do not have the correct sound driver installed. Generally, if you only have the "High Definition Audio Controller" installed as the sound driver that is the generic, basic function, Windows installed driver.

    Also, please fill in the "My System Spec's" so we know what we are dealing with.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
    First thing I see is Latency Mon refers to "High Definition Audio" and not the actual device, such as RealTek, which suggests you do not have the correct sound driver installed. Generally, if you only have the "High Definition Audio Controller" installed as the sound driver that is the generic, basic function, Windows installed driver.

    Also, please fill in the "My System Spec's" so we know what we are dealing with.
    Here is system specs Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    The "My System Specs" is where you list your system specs.

    But the list you show confirms you do not have to correct sound driver installed. According to the ASRock downloads for your motherboard, you have RealTek audio. Install the RealTek driver as the first step.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Okay, I downloaded realtek driver. Didnt help. Not sure should I have picked AC97 instead of HD audio?
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    The R2.75 is the correct one. Although it didn't fix the problem, you needed to install the proper sound driver, as a first step. Also, if you have not done it, set the "Stereo Mix" as the default Recording device.

    The is no "one fix" for the problem. Each one can be different. Wi-Fi is a known cause. Video and Video drivers are another known potential cause. NVIDIA is listed as one of the high DPC's. If you are doing any overclocking, reset to the defaults for testing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
    The R2.75 is the correct one. Although it didn't fix the problem, you needed to install the proper sound driver, as a first step. Also, if you have not done it, set the "Stereo Mix" as the default Recording device.

    The is no "one fix" for the problem. Each one can be different. Wi-Fi is a known cause. Video and Video drivers are another known potential cause. NVIDIA is listed as one of the high DPC's. If you are doing any overclocking, reset to the defaults for testing.
    Havent done any overclocking

    Click image for larger version
    enabled stereomix but it didnt change anything?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Another cause that I got from the RealTek site is power supply. A power supply with poor voltage regulation can cause problems.

    What power supply are you using? One from the old PC or a new Power supply?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
    Another cause that I got from the RealTek site is power supply. A power supply with poor voltage regulation can cause problems.

    What power supply are you using? One from the old PC or a new Power supply?
    New PSU.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sound crackling/popping
Related Threads
Recently I started noticing popping sounds at multiple frequencies (mostly higher frequencies) when playing audio. I don't know what caused it, but this is what I already tried: Using a different audio port. Updating drivers. Updating BIOS. Disabled all unused sound ports. Installed...
Hi all, I have read quite many posts so far regarding this issue in Windows 8. It Looks like they have overlooked the Sound skipping problem during playback on different programs and codecs. Whenever one uses Media Player, Spotify or any other audio programs the Sound skipps and crackles. It comes...
Hello all, My sound had recently become stuttery, crackling, and sort of metallic sounding, maybe 'tinny' is the word. This is an issue both through HDMI and headphones. I've tried reinstalling and updating my drivers, I've cleaned a fairly nasty bit of dust from between the heatsink and fan,...
so i have the sound problem here was using an-old 500GB HDD for OS and things got really out of control sound and even the mouse lagged so i poped out an-even older 80GB HDD :P and installed what i had on hand a windows 7 32bit and the PC ran like a chaaaaarm for like a week then i broke the piggy...
Sound Popping/Crackling in Sound & Audio
All right, so my sound is popping at loud frequencies. For example, if I click on my volume adjuster to hear the different sample levels, little pops and crackles can be heard. I was starting to notice some crackling when I got the Logitech g35. Thinking the g35 was faulty, I got a refund and a got...
So I just installed Windows 8 and decided to play some music, found out that my DPC Lat is huge and I did try disabling some things such as audio drivers LAN drivers etc. Still didn't solve the problem so I'm at a loss at what I'm supposed to do now. Maybe I skipped over certain parts which I...
is there any fix for via hd deck audio crackling sound in windows 8 consumer preview my specs processor i7 2600k motherboad asrock H61M-VS graphics nvidia gt520
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook