Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Recording w/USB Device - Windows DLL Has Stopped Working

  1. #1


    Posts : 4
    windows 8

    Recording w/USB Device - Windows DLL Has Stopped Working


    Hi All

    I am desperately trying to save some very old audio cassettes by transferring them to my computer before it is too late.

    I am running Windows 8 on a Lenovo G500.I am using a Behringer UFO202 digital audio interface into which I can connect my analog cassette deck and run directly into the laptop.

    The Behringer device shows up in Device Manager and Devices & Printers and is stated to be 'working properly'
    However, Every time I click on the device in Control Panel>Sound>Recording I always get a 'Windows Shell Common DLL has stopped working' error message when I try to set the unit up to record.

    I am not overly computer savvy but I think this message has something to do with the registry or maybe it is to do with the drivers??

    Whatever the case, I am loathe to start messing around in case I make matters worse so I am posting here in the hope that some kind soul will help me out before I tear all my hair out and potentially lose some precious recordings that I am desperate to save.

    Just for the record, I would ideally like to record the Behringer unit directly into Sony Soundfourge 9 and salvage/restore accordingly.

    Thank you in advance for your time.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    As far as I can see, there are drivers for Win 8 64 bit only, Which windows are you using ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    If you have a "Line In" on your PC (and most do), you don't need any other interface. Just connect the stereo out of the tape player to a "Y" cable with a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug on one end and the appropriate jacks (e.g. RCA) on the other end.

    You can then either record from the Line In or if you have Stereo Mix use that.

    The only time you would really need that Behringer interface is if you want to connect a turntable as it appears to have a built in RIAA preamp that would be needed for direct connection of a turntable.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 4
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    As far as I can see, there are drivers for Win 8 64 bit only, Which windows are you using ?
    Hi CountMike,

    Thanks for responding to my post. I am using Windows 8 64 bit. I have not attempted to download/update the drivers as I was under the impression that the Behringer unit would simply be a case of 'plug in and play' so to speak. When I purchased the unit I saw that other users had run it quite easily on Windows 7 ,Windows Vista & Windows XP with no apparent problems. Foolishly, I assumed the same would apply to Windows 8!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Please Help View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    As far as I can see, there are drivers for Win 8 64 bit only, Which windows are you using ?
    Hi CountMike,

    Thanks for responding to my post. I am using Windows 8 64 bit. I have not attempted to download/update the drivers as I was under the impression that the Behringer unit would simply be a case of 'plug in and play' so to speak. When I purchased the unit I saw that other users had run it quite easily on Windows 7 ,Windows Vista & Windows XP with no apparent problems. Foolishly, I assumed the same would apply to Windows 8!
    Every piece of HW needs a driver, it's just a question if MS supplies one with the windows or it has to be installed from other place.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 4
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
    If you have a "Line In" on your PC (and most do), you don't need any other interface. Just connect the stereo out of the tape player to a "Y" cable with a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug on one end and the appropriate jacks (e.g. RCA) on the other end.

    You can then either record from the Line In or if you have Stereo Mix use that.

    The only time you would really need that Behringer interface is if you want to connect a turntable as it appears to have a built in RIAA preamp that would be needed for direct connection of a turntable.
    Hi Fireberd,

    Unfortunately, My laptop only has a microphone input and no direct line-in input. I was tempted to get one of the cables you mentioned but after doing a bit of online research I noted that several people complained of either really low signal input and/or only getting a mono signal from a stereo source.....Because of this I got the Behringerunit as I thought I would get a much better signal from a dedicated unit. As mentioned in my response to CountMike, I noted that other users who were running Windows 7,Vista & XP had no problems and I wrongly assumed this would be the case with Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    It can't hurt to try that Win8 x6 driver from their site. You can also try one like this: USB External 7 1 Channel 3D Virtual Audio Sound Card Adapter PC Buy 2 Get 1 Free | eBay , not expensive and it cant be any worse than sound coming from cassette tapes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 4
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    It can't hurt to try that Win8 x6 driver from their site. You can also try one like this: USB External 7 1 Channel 3D Virtual Audio Sound Card Adapter PC Buy 2 Get 1 Free | eBay , not expensive and it cant be any worse than sound coming from cassette tapes.
    Hi again CountMike,

    UPDATE - I have followed the link from your first post and updated all my drivers after 18 were found to be obsolete or very outdated. Unfortunately I am still getting the 'Windows shell common dll has stopped working' error message when I attempt to adjust the sound settings with the Behringer unit . However, I have narrowed it down to being an issue with the registry in Windows 8. A Tweakbit pop-up confirmed that 'rundll32 has crashed'.

    As registry issues are going to be way out of my level of computing competence, I think I may get hold of a local engineer to come round and sort the problem. However ,I will take on board your advice about the windows x 6 driver and check out the USB External 7 1 Channel 3D Adapter.

    Thanks for taking the time out to help me with this matter, I appreciate it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Recording w/USB Device - Windows DLL Has Stopped Working
Related Threads
Solved Windows 8 Pro Activation stopped working in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi All, I bought windows 8 Pro over 2 years ago and upgraded from Windows 7 on a Dell desktop. Everything has been working fine until about 2 - 3 weeks ago when I started my computer I got the message to activate Windows 8 Pro, when I clicked on activate it said " Windows cannot activate at...
For the past 6 months I have had no trouble with the main email that comes with Windows 8.1, but for some reason it has stopped working this past week, it will not send mail or receive emails. I noticed the problem after I tried deleting old emails, and then they would reappear after loading the...
This evening I went to use by portable USB drive and noticed it wouldn't work. I tried another port and it still didn't work. I then tried another device on the same ports and it also did not work. I opened up device manager and saw that my VIA USB xHCI controller was no longer listed under USB...
I have windows 8 pro in my desktop.When i started to run nfs mw 1 it opened but while loading for gameplay it stops working and windows says that there is a problem to work the program properly,so i will have to close it.I have tried for all compability mode but its sltill does not work.Please help...
Task Scheduler Stopped Recording History in Performance & Maintenance
Currently running Win 8.1.1 x64 Pro. Task Scheduler stopped recording History on 1/5/2014 - no task history is available after that date for any task. Enable All Tasks History is active in Task Scheduler (i.e., Disable All Tasks History displays.) I don't know what caused Task Scheduler to...
Windows 8 pro machine. Ethernet. Machine was connecting to home network computers fine. I was troubleshooting an issue disabling a lot of services and drivers. I thought I restored everything, made sure all essential services are on according to Black Viper's website. Other computers on...
Under display drivers in my device manager, I have two things listed. AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series, and Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. The AMD Radeon is the one showing the error code 43. I've scanned for driver updates, it says the driver is up to date. I've tried using AMD's driver updater...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook