Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


No sound from speaker/headphones, can't find any errors.

  1. #11


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1


    My speaker only has one connector. Are you saying I should try plugging it into different coloured jacks while changing the 5.1/7.1/etc settings?

    Yeah, looks more and more like a hardware issue . I may try getting a cheap soundcard - to see if that changes anything. I really hope I don't have to get a new motherboard .

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by solneria View Post
    My speaker only has one connector. Are you saying I should try plugging it into different coloured jacks while changing the 5.1/7.1/etc settings?

    Yeah, looks more and more like a hardware issue . I may try getting a cheap soundcard - to see if that changes anything. I really hope I don't have to get a new motherboard .
    Does not matter if speakers have only one connector, if you plug it in one of those two other jacks you should get at least some sound with speaker test.
    If you put a PCI sound card you will not need new MB, you can just turn off onboard sound off in BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1


    Putting the connector in the different jacks and testing didn't produce any sound .

    Is there any conceivable way that there is a weird problem with the motherboard such that slotting in a sound card won't fix the sound?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by solneria View Post
    Putting the connector in the different jacks and testing didn't produce any sound .

    Is there any conceivable way that there is a weird problem with the motherboard such that slotting in a sound card won't fix the sound?
    No, I don't think so as long as you disable on board sound in BIOS. Windows can use only one at a time. You might be evn better of with a USB sound output if you are not going for a great sound quality. USB External 7 1 Channel 3D Virtual Audio Sound Card Adapter PC Buy 2 Get 1 Free | eBay
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1


    Ooooh that's cheap! Hmm well all I use the sound for is gaming and youtubing. I guess I wouldn't need stellar sound for that (as long as it isn't static-y or terrible).

    Is there much of an advantage going for a USB one over a PCI slot one? I will get one tomorrow, hopefully, and I will report back!

    Thanks for the help!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by solneria View Post
    Ooooh that's cheap! Hmm well all I use the sound for is gaming and youtubing. I guess I wouldn't need stellar sound for that (as long as it isn't static-y or terrible).

    Is there much of an advantage going for a USB one over a PCI slot one? I will get one tomorrow, hopefully, and I will report back!

    Thanks for the help!
    Cheaper and easier to install, that's about it. Actually heard some with surprisingly good sound, better than early SBs and onboard sound.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1


    Oh I see! I've been searching around all my local computer stores (online) and all the sound cards are like $30+. It's so annoying being Australian, sometimes!

    This sound card better fix everything! >
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1


    OKAY! For the sake of anyone who was googling around and trying to find the solution to a similar problem, I would like to announce that the new sound card worked! Just had to disable the onboard sound in the bios, download driver and make my new sound device the default one! YAY! Still don't know why the onboard sound wasn't working, but I no longer care!

    Thanks for the help, everyone .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by solneria View Post
    OKAY! For the sake of anyone who was googling around and trying to find the solution to a similar problem, I would like to announce that the new sound card worked! Just had to disable the onboard sound in the bios, download driver and make my new sound device the default one! YAY! Still don't know why the onboard sound wasn't working, but I no longer care!


    Thanks for the help, everyone .
    Good, it wouldn't be first MB with dead sound codec chip. Which one did you get ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Good, it wouldn't be first MB with dead sound codec chip. Which one did you get ?
    sound blaster vx 5.1! It was the cheapest one I could get from my local store, which I knew definitely had windows 8.1 drivers!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
No sound from speaker/headphones, can't find any errors.
Related Threads
So, i got a speaker Sony rdp-x200ipn. I have an Acer Aspire E17 I can connect my speaker to my laptop via bluetooth fine, when it's connected i can test the speaker and it makes the beep sound. When i start itunes, my speaker plays the sound fine, but when i search for example a youtube video...
...for SELECT programs? For example, I like to game with headphones on, I listen to music with headphones on and more. I don't like to unplug them every time I'm done, that's too confusing and more importantly, I FORGET ALL THE TIME. So, if anyone could kindly help me find a way to play my "Free...
Yesterday, I bought a pair of Samson Studio GT studio monitors. which connect to my computer via USB. However, I'm only getting sound out of one monitor/speaker, that would be the right side with the power cable. I've checked the speaker wires and made sure they were hooked up correctly for...
HP Pavilion dv6-6110us Entertainment Notebook PC laptop running windows 8 upgraded alright. Left the computer on overnight now the sound will not play through the computer speakers unless something is plugged into the headphone or microphone jack. But will play through external speakers... but not...
Hello, I have a Toshiba Laptop c660 with windows 8 professional installed. I can`t make the jack for headphones to work. The jack is not broken because it works on Ubuntu. I installed the driver for my soundboard. Didn`t worked. I unistalled it and i let windows chose the best option for me...
No sound with headphones? in Sound & Audio
Hey guys, I have the consumer preview Windows 8, No problems with sound initially until i plugged in my headphones. No sound at all, at first i thought the headphones where broken so i tried 3 other pairs of earphones and still nothing. Anyone have any ideas as to whats going wrong?
No sound thru headphones in Sound & Audio
On my home-built PC with dual-boot XP and Win8 RP, I can't get any sound thru headphones connected to the tower case's front headphone jack. I get sound through the speakers built into my display, which is connected to the mobo on the case rear panel. Sound comes thru headphones fine in XP. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook