Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Wikipedia App is a FAKE

  1. #1


    Posts : 53
    Windows 8: RP

    Wikipedia App is a FAKE


    I installed it....and are you ready for this? It doesn't even do what the website does. Infact what I was hoping it was....WAS the website. Wtf is this news and pictures window??? Who cares about that garbage!??....there is no search function in it or anything. The Wikipedia I know allows you to type stuff in. The App they got isn't even Wikipedia....it is some sort of new thing and they got away with stealing the Wikipedia name.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Welcome to the forum, Jeht. I see you're located in Washington. Seattle? I lived near there for a few years. Enumclaw and Tacoma.

    Yea, I see what you mean about the app. Kinda' trimmed to the bare essentials like a lot of the apps. And what really gets me is that when one clicks on an article in some apps then the alt/arrow keys doesn't work as in a browser to return. It does in some. A lot of them shortcut keys don't work and I hate the mouse! It's all based on touch, which a lot of PC users are complaining about. Alt/F4 still kills them though! They've got a ways to go with these apps, although it is beta. Gadgets were like that at first. Then there was a million of them.

    Again, welcome and enjoy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Yes there is a search function. But first you need to know the shortcuts for Metro UI. I forget the exact keyboard shortcut for search, because I always use a touch device. Windows key + C brings up the charms bar. At the top of the charms far, is the search icon. If you are in the Wikipedia app, the search icon will search within Wikipedia.

    There are growing pains for those newly initiated to Windows 8. Hope this helps!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 53
    Windows 8: RP


    Quote Originally Posted by skallal View Post
    Yes there is a search function. But first you need to know the shortcuts for Metro UI. I forget the exact keyboard shortcut for search, because I always use a touch device. Windows key + C brings up the charms bar. At the top of the charms far, is the search icon. If you are in the Wikipedia app, the search icon will search within Wikipedia.

    There are growing pains for those newly initiated to Windows 8. Hope this helps!
    ...I wasnt talking about the Charmbar Search...I was talking about the fake Wikipedia APP which still has no search.
    I've right clicked on each side of the app(in hopes of bringing up something real) and nothing comes up. And I know all the shortcuts already. None of them do a thing in this. Besides I aready uninstalled the fail app.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeht View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skallal View Post
    Yes there is a search function. But first you need to know the shortcuts for Metro UI. I forget the exact keyboard shortcut for search, because I always use a touch device. Windows key + C brings up the charms bar. At the top of the charms far, is the search icon. If you are in the Wikipedia app, the search icon will search within Wikipedia.

    There are growing pains for those newly initiated to Windows 8. Hope this helps!
    ...I wasnt talking about the Charmbar Search...I was talking about the fake Wikipedia APP which still has no search.
    I've right clicked on each side of the app(in hopes of bringing up something real) and nothing comes up. And I know all the shortcuts already. None of them do a thing in this. Besides I aready uninstalled the fail app.
    Yes. There is a search in the Wikipedia APP. Bring the mouse pointer to top right of the screen and a charm menu for that app or when in any app appears. it lQQks like the start page charm bar, but it is not that. I hope there are shortcut keys for this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie

    Yes. There is a search in the Wikipedia APP. Bring the mouse pointer to top right of the screen and a charm menu for that app or when in any app appears. it lQQks like the start page charm bar, but it is not that. I hope there are shortcut keys for this.
    Thanks for the clarification HippsieGypsie! You said it better than I did...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Thanks for the clarification HippsieGypsie! You said it better than I did...
    Not sure if I did, but thanks. The app charm bar through me off at first. Then I noticed it's not the same appearance as the start screen charm bar. It's like half-tinted. Then I started to use them and realized that it's the setting/search for that particular app. It takes a little getting used to 8 as you stated. Growing pains as you put it. I like that analogy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Wikipedia App is a FAKE
Related Threads
Fake PFC coil in PSU in General Support
It was until i uploaded my rig in another forum,where a member of it noticed my Hantol PSU that triggered a discussion about that specific brand.To make a long conversation short... 35262 35263 35264 Fake PFC coil - Overclockers Forums Uncomplicating the Complicated | Hardware Secrets...
Solved May Have Fake USB 3.0 in Drivers & Hardware
I just bought a USB 3.0 flash drive but it is running at USB 2.0 speeds. I have a M5A97 evo which has the blue USB 3.0 ports on it and the correct driver installed. Is there any way I can verify that my flash drive is USB 3.0? I have googled it and cant seem to find how I verify if I have a legit...
Wikipedia app in Software and Apps
Okay I downloaded my first Metro UI app tonight which is Wikipedia. I'm used this app on Android and iOS. But for the life of me, I can't find its search feature. So is the Wikipedia app half-baked? Or is there some common gesture to bring up a search box in Metro UI?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook