Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


HDD will die soon, I need a backup image software

  1. #11


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    DeaconFrost, actually it would not work. They took Windows Backup after 8.1.1 came out. Your only option in this case, because of the failing Hard Drive, would be with EaseUS ToDo Workstation. Then when the OP wants to restore to say a different sized hard drive, ToDo allows you to do that.

    I had to work on a laptop with a quickly failing hard drive. I tried every tool I could use, to try and get an image backup, but would either fail, or not allow resizing to the new drive when restoring. It was a lot of trial and error. I used a USB pocket drive case, that has my old 300 gb from my laptop to hold the image on. Then used it to restore to a 240 gb SSD installed in the machine.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 11
    Windows 7


    Thanks everyone, hopefully my HDD can survive a bit more until I can create a backup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Philadelphia
    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    DeaconFrost, actually it would not work. They took Windows Backup after 8.1.1 came out. Your only option in this case, because of the failing Hard Drive, would be with EaseUS ToDo Workstation. Then when the OP wants to restore to say a different sized hard drive, ToDo allows you to do that.
    That's good to know, but I honestly don't use back up software in a situation like this. I pull off the files that are needed, and perform a clean install with the new hard drive. All components are up to date, and you can test the stability of the system before restoring the data. I don't trust images taken from failing drives, and don't always want to stress the drive copying off everything, when only a small portion is actually what's needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 11
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    DeaconFrost, actually it would not work. They took Windows Backup after 8.1.1 came out. Your only option in this case, because of the failing Hard Drive, would be with EaseUS ToDo Workstation. Then when the OP wants to restore to say a different sized hard drive, ToDo allows you to do that.
    That's good to know, but I honestly don't use back up software in a situation like this. I pull off the files that are needed, and perform a clean install with the new hard drive. All components are up to date, and you can test the stability of the system before restoring the data. I don't trust images taken from failing drives, and don't always want to stress the drive copying off everything, when only a small portion is actually what's needed.
    I'm taking your advice, I will only back up the stuff I need.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    I don't know if I should start a new thread or just add on to this one.

    An elderly friend of mine was using acronis home image 2013 to automatically image backup her pc to an external USB hard drive. 2 weeks ago her pc's HD suddenly died. I told her not to worry because a restore should be easy.

    Not true! I know the latest version of Acronis has been roundly criticized but this was an old Acronis version. She took it to microcenter. They sold her a new HD and installed Windows 7 on it. (I would have thought that the image restore could have been used to restore the OS but they didn't do that). The store technician told her he found a full backup from January 2015 which he would restore and that the later backups which she had to 5/5/2015 were "corrupted".

    She's waiting for her pc to be ready for pickup later today. But, needless to say, both her confidence and mine (I too use Acronis Home Image 2014) are shaken in Acronis. So, we are both looking for another dependable backup software.

    What is today considered a dependable backup for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1?

    I've used the free version of Macrium but the free version does not permit automated backups which this lady needs because she is elderly and not computer literate beyond email, the web, and MS Word. Buying Macrium is $69 per copy which is a little steep. Does it ever go on sale? Is another dependable image backup solution available that can be automated to backup once a week? I've never used Windows own backup. Don't know if it does image backups that would restore the os.

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOne View Post
    I don't know if I should start a new thread or just add on to this one.

    An elderly friend of mine was using acronis home image 2013 to automatically image backup her pc to an external USB hard drive. 2 weeks ago her pc's HD suddenly died. I told her not to worry because a restore should be easy.

    Not true! I know the latest version of Acronis has been roundly criticized but this was an old Acronis version. She took it to microcenter. They sold her a new HD and installed Windows 7 on it. (I would have thought that the image restore could have been used to restore the OS but they didn't do that). The store technician told her he found a full backup from January 2015 which he would restore and that the later backups which she had to 5/5/2015 were "corrupted".

    She's waiting for her pc to be ready for pickup later today. But, needless to say, both her confidence and mine (I too use Acronis Home Image 2014) are shaken in Acronis. So, we are both looking for another dependable backup software.

    What is today considered a dependable backup for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1?

    I've used the free version of Macrium but the free version does not permit automated backups which this lady needs because she is elderly and not computer literate beyond email, the web, and MS Word. Buying Macrium is $69 per copy which is a little steep. Does it ever go on sale? Is another dependable image backup solution available that can be automated to backup once a week? I've never used Windows own backup. Don't know if it does image backups that would restore the os.

    Thanks.
    Search the internet for Macrium Reflect Coupon you can usually get 20% off sometimes as much as 40%.
    I was a long time user of Acronis since 2011 they claimed UEFI compatibility yet as late as 2014 they could not restore a booting UEFI GPT disk. I switched over to Reflect with all my systems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 11
    Windows 7


    I just started fresh. Thanks everyone
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
HDD will die soon, I need a backup image software
Related Threads
Creating a disk backup image in Performance & Maintenance
I am trying to create a backup image of my HDD with AOMEI Backupper and save it to an external drive. My HDD is 750GB. Do I need the same size (or larger) external drive to store the image? Only about 40GB of the HDD is actually being used for the OS and other files, but when I try to use a 60GB...
I'm one of the traditional type of Windows users who boots straight to their desktop and uses third party software for the most part. Although I am aware of, and do use, the resident backup and imaging tool, 'file history' obviously doesn't include 'app data' which I'm just copying onto an external...
How Do I Recover Backup Image of Windows 8.1 in Performance & Maintenance
Hi Guys, I tried to start windows 8.1 this morning and it was stuck in a boot loop. System tried to carryout repairs to no avail. I re-installed Windows and I have some drives that are setup in a raid configuration which has a system image I created some time ago after I performed a fresh...
Solved Windows System image backup in Performance & Maintenance
OK, I have Win 7 & Win 8 on two separate HDD's (I can choose either OS to run at start-up). So how come when I try to do a system image backup (in widows 8) & choose Win 8 from the list of drives it also locks in the Win 7 drive, which I cannot change? It will not let me just do a System image...
Deleting A Windows Image Backup in Performance & Maintenance
I have a windows image backup which is taking up 60gb. I need to delete it but i dont know if its safe to just delete normally. Could anyone give a step by step tutorial on how to delete it. Same thing for the 'windows.old' folder would really help
Solved Cannot find backup software! in Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 had a back up and restore application, including creating a system image and recovery DVD. I see nothing under Windows 8 (And I've really looked, but I will be glad to admit that I'm wrong if I am!) Do I need to purchase back up software ? Please advise! Thank you
Solved System Image backup in General Support
Has anyone found a system image backup utility in Windows 8 Customer Preview ? I have found some discussion of this that says go to Control Panel / Restore. I can not find that option. I do see Control Panel / Recovery which has system Refresh and Reset options.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook