Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 10 Free for Windows 8 Users

  1. #11


    Posts : 148
    Windows 8.1 Update 1


    Well it's already there if you got the pro version. That's a consumer version and it's not expensive, at least not if you compare the prices for a full Windows 8.1 pro license to the prices you had to pay for Windows 7 or Vista Ultimate. The business version of Windows 8.1 is called Enterprise.
    Last edited by altae; 17 Oct 2014 at 18:47.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    My mom's desktop computer came with Windows 8.1 x64 preinstalled when I bought it for her this past May. She is not tech savvy at all, and I think she was confused at first because of the lack of a start menu. Her old Windows Vista desktop had Vista. The reason I am so against Vista, is because it had many issues. It was Dell also. Also, at that time I wasn't interested in technology. That may be why we had so much problems out of it. Now, I am on top of making sure all of our computers get no viruses, and I make sure they are up to date at all times with latest updates from Microsoft. My laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Basically, what people have said, is that 7 is basically Vista, but much improved with some differences.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Joisey
    Posts : 315
    Windows 8.1 consumer 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by altae View Post
    Well it's already there if you got the pro version. That's a consumer version and it's not expensive, at least not if you compare the prices for a full Windows 8.1 pro license to the prices for Windows Seven or Vista Ultimate. The business version of Windows 8.1 is called Enterprise.
    The "pro" version is $100 more, that's expensive to get a feature that should be a basic part of the OS. How much extra does Apple charge for this?

    OK, here's a compromise. MS can take away the whole "phone interface" side of the OS, I think it is called "metro"; and make that $100 extra. In its place include bitlocker. :-)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,586
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    Maybe MS could let us choose what features we want - "Pick any 3 for $100". I use Metro on my tablet but have zero use for Bitlocker.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 148
    Windows 8.1 Update 1


    Quote Originally Posted by mikeytg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by altae View Post
    Well it's already there if you got the pro version. That's a consumer version and it's not expensive, at least not if you compare the prices for a full Windows 8.1 pro license to the prices for Windows Seven or Vista Ultimate. The business version of Windows 8.1 is called Enterprise.
    The "pro" version is $100 more, that's expensive to get a feature that should be a basic part of the OS. How much extra does Apple charge for this?

    OK, here's a compromise. MS can take away the whole "phone interface" side of the OS, I think it is called "metro"; and make that $100 extra. In its place include bitlocker. :-)
    I don't know where you are shopping but here in Switzerland I can get a full Windows 8.1 pro license (OEM) for 144 Swiss Francs whereas the basic version is about 100 Swiss Francs. Thats a difference of 44 Swiss Francs or approximately 50 $. I really don't consider that too expensive.

    Oh and by the way, if you think that 50 bucks more is too expensive you can always use one of the many open source and thus free programs to encrypt your hdd's. Since MS is actively co-operating with US secret services I would never trust them and encrypt sensitive and or valuable date using their encryption solution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by williamsjesse17 View Post
    My mom's desktop computer came with Windows 8.1 x64 preinstalled when I bought it for her this past May. She is not tech savvy at all, and I think she was confused at first because of the lack of a start menu. Her old Windows Vista desktop had Vista. The reason I am so against Vista, is because it had many issues. It was Dell also. Also, at that time I wasn't interested in technology. That may be why we had so much problems out of it. Now, I am on top of making sure all of our computers get no viruses, and I make sure they are up to date at all times with latest updates from Microsoft. My laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64. Basically, what people have said, is that 7 is basically Vista, but much improved with some differences.
    Windows 7 was barely even a warmed over Vista. The problems with Vista were 90% in large part down to the fact that XP was a complete mess. Most people tend to put on the rose colored glasses and forget what a god-awful mess XP was until about the time SP2 came along. For about the first three years of XP's life -- and this is not an exaggeration, if anything it's an downplaying of how bad things were -- literally every week (give or take) there was at least one new remote exploit found in either Windows or IE6. Most weeks were what you might call bumper crops and we saw the birth of the so-called drive-by exploit where all a person had to do was simply load a web page and they could be infected by malware. People forget about how some joker figured out they could send spam using the Windows Messenger service or using that same service, remotely reboot hundreds of computers at a time over the Internet. I don't know what the final tally was on the number of security issues MS squashed during those years, but it had to be well into the triple digits. Wouldn't surprise me if it crossed the half-way mark onto the quadruple digits. Then there was all the software written for Win9x, where you could directly access the hardware, which was now expressly forbidden, which had to be reworked. Software suddenly had to contend with a multi-user platform, which caused a lot of problems. In the early days integrated graphics wasn't up to the task of rendering XP's skinning system adequately and computers only came with 64-128MB of RAM typically. Anyone here ever try using XP on only 128MB of RAM? I have, and trust me, you don't want to. At 256MB it's tolerable, 512MB is where it starts getting to be usable. But back in late 2002, early 2003, that meant a high end computer. XP's rollout was an unmitigated disaster on several fronts.

    XP was a mess and long story short, Vista represented a total rewrite of big chunks of XP. One of the things that Vista took the rap for, even though it wasn't Vista's fault, was the poor quality drivers that device makers put out for the first year or two. Vista had a new driver model, which greatly enhanced the security, but also broke compatibility with XP, which was just a warmed over Windows 2000, at least had that much going for it. By the time Vista SP1 came around, most developers had gotten the hang of the new driver model, computer hardware had largely caught up with the elevated bar MS set and the number of complaints from users dropped off significantly.

    Like 8, Vista brought with it a number of very nice technical improvements. Aero, the DirectX based, GPU rendered GUI, replaced the CPU rendered GDI+ from before. XP treated dual core CPUs as dual CPUs because dual core CPUs didn't exist when XP was developed. There's a number of subtle differences between the two which leads to XP creating a lot of unnecessary overhead. Vista's security was significantly improved over XP and it made more efficient use of resources. Of course most of these are under the hood type improvements, not the sexy in-your-face improvements, with the exception of Aero. Windows 7 basically just rode a wave of anti-Vista sentiment to popularity, even though there was really very little changed about it. If Vista had come out around the same time as XP SP2, my guess is it would have been welcomed with open arms as an escape from the hell that was XP in those dark first years.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Georgia
    Posts : 110
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot


    Quote Originally Posted by williamsjesse17 View Post
    I was reading an article, and it said that Windows 10 would be free for 8 users. Do all versions of 8 get it, or just 8?

    I refuse to go to the Windows 10 forum to find out, because they were really ugly about things.
    Would you happen to have the link where you read this?
    I had heard this about Windows 9 but have yet to hear it about 10, although giving away the OS t0 certain people with certain OS's for free would put a dent their pockets but after the Windows 8 debacle it WOULD be the right thing to do.

    Don't worry about those in the Windows 10 forum, fan boys tend to get that way when you question or put down something they cream their jeans over.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by williamsjesse17 View Post
    I was reading an article, and it said that Windows 10 would be free for 8 users. Do all versions of 8 get it, or just 8?

    I refuse to go to the Windows 10 forum to find out, because they were really ugly about things.
    Would you happen to have the link where you read this?
    I had heard this about Windows 9 but have yet to hear it about 10, although giving away the OS t0 certain people with certain OS's for free would put a dent their pockets but after the Windows 8 debacle it WOULD be the right thing to do.

    Don't worry about those in the Windows 10 forum, fan boys tend to get that way when you question or put down something they cream their jeans over.
    All articles you may read or hear about are just pure speculation that's all and just opinions. We will have to wait for an official announcement from Microsoft.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Okay...Well, I still think it should be a free upgrade for all Windows 8 users, and maybe 7 users. But, 7 had the start menu, I don't see why it's needed. They at least need to lengthen the span of updates for 7. But, I think it should go to all 8 users and that does count 8.1, to give people back the start menu. I think there should be a way to have the start menu and start screen bundled together. That way, people can use both.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Quote Originally Posted by williamsjesse17 View Post
    Okay...Well, I still think it should be a free upgrade for all Windows 8 users, and maybe 7 users. But, 7 had the start menu, I don't see why it's needed. They at least need to lengthen the span of updates for 7. But, I think it should go to all 8 users and that does count 8.1, to give people back the start menu. I think there should be a way to have the start menu and start screen bundled together. That way, people can use both.
    Lengthen it to what? Windows 7 will be getting updates until like 2020. That's like a full 10 years from the release date. No other vendor supports their products for so long, especially at the price point of Windows. You could probably pay HP/Oracle/SAP to support some 10+ year old stuff, but you'd be paying in first born children and sacrificial virgins.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 10 Free for Windows 8 Users
Related Threads
Seems like the rumors are firming up. Windows 9 will be free to Windows 8 owners, according to report | PC Gamer
Beginning of 2013 there was about 40,000 apps ready to be downloaded at the Windows Store. The Store grows rapidly, faster than other similar stores for other platforms. Not all Windows Apps cost money. In fact a great number of games and apps is available for free, ready to be installed. This...
Hello, everyone. This is my first post. I have been in touch with Microsoft 3 times to ask this question and each time I get referred on to someone else. I would have thought that the answer would have been straight forward so I looked around and found you guys. I guess you can tell from the...
Read more at source: Microsoft confirms Blue to be free for existing Windows 8 users | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook