Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Will apps make or break windows 8?

  1. #1


    Palm Coast FLorida
    Posts : 370
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)

    Will apps make or break windows 8?


    To me the whole thing revolves around the apps, if there are 1,000's of great ones then I can see Metro catching on, if there are only going to be 300 or so average apps then I don't see are really good future for Windows 8.

    Also hopefully there will be a better way to manipulate the apps then what the Metro UI is offering us now.

    TC

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Those Metro apps should have a close button and windows controls at least. That should be an advantage over apps of iPads or Androids.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I've only found a handful of apps that I really like, but they're pretty good.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Win 8 automatically suspends apps when not in focus so they take up next to no space in the system so why do you want a close button?

    I use Win 8 on a desktop PC and rarely use Metro anyway. Just to log-in at the start and close down later.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Manchester CT
    Posts : 693
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA


    I disabled UAC a month ago and now none of the MS Metro apps will run. I may NEVER KNOW if there are any good apps out there as the store app will not run... Funny thing is that I did not notice for over 3 weeks! I got bored enough to go look at the Metro screen today...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    What sort of "apps" are we talking about? I use Opera, Word Perfect, Media Player, Quicken, and Paint Shop Pro. Every now and then I'll use the calculator or Google Earth.

    Just went out and looked at the "apps" that are currently available. It looks like most are somethng that I can accomplish easily with my browser.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 93
    W2K8S R2 STD, W7 ULTIMATE X64


    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    To me the whole thing revolves around the apps, if there are 1,000's of great ones then I can see Metro catching on, if there are only going to be 300 or so average apps then I don't see are really good future for Windows 8.

    Also hopefully there will be a better way to manipulate the apps then what the Metro UI is offering us now.

    TC
    An operating system should not depend on apps in the first place. That said those that come with W8 may well kill it....

    What's next, games included with the server versions?

    Cheers,
    Last edited by fdegrove; 05 Apr 2012 at 06:02.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    I use three of the news apps, the pinball app, the weather app, and about four games. I just started using their cloud app to store some documents. Granted, I could download it all for free from other sources and put them on Windows 7, but I like the way they work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 288
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9


    Quote Originally Posted by thatmanbrian View Post
    Win 8 automatically suspends apps when not in focus so they take up next to no space in the system so why do you want a close button?
    Why do we need a close button on Metro apps? So we can close it whenever we want it right there on the spot without making the computer wait till they get idle for it to terminate them automatically.

    And I believe I am not the only one who believes that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmanbrian View Post
    Win 8 automatically suspends apps when not in focus so they take up next to no space in the system so why do you want a close button?
    Why do we need a close button on Metro apps? So we can close it whenever we want it right there on the spot without making the computer wait till they get idle for it to terminate them automatically.

    And I believe I am not the only one who believes that.
    You can drag the top of the app to the bottom of the screen and it closes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Will apps make or break windows 8?
Related Threads
It's no secret that you can create a toolbar, opening from the Taskbar, for any folder you want. Such a toolbar for the Start Menu folder is a pretty good approximation of the classic Start Menu. The trouble is, there are two different Start Menu folders (your User SM and the All-Users SM), with...
So I used obytile to make some shortcuts and that worked fine! That is until I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and they where all gone! :( Seeing as I have only 4 rows I used the smaller tile size(1/4 regular) Now is their anyway to make some smaller sized tiles on 8.1? obytile does not make...
Read more at source: How Intel could give Windows 8 the break it has been waiting for | ZDNet
I have 2 large computer screens and they are extended. With Windows 7 I could watch the news in one window, be chatting on Skype in another window, be viewing pictures in another window, be shopping for products in another window, be reading reviews in another window, be sending emails in...
Price break on RTs in Windows 8 News
Windows 8 tablets to be much cheaper with ARM chips, Lenovo exec claims | ZDNet
It's make it or break time... in General Support
Microsoft has a perplexing challenge: getting consumers using their products. The issue isn't that their products are bad per se, it's just that their marketing department seems like it doesn't exist. Take for example, the Windows Phone 7. It's a great software and a great interaction. Many a...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook