Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Video converter?

  1. #1

    Video converter?


    I have some AVI quality movies I ripped onto my computer but cant play them on my DVD deck from my vehicle, is there a converter that will help me convert AVI - WMP, MP4, MPEG-2 ..

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,585
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    VLC should be able to do it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Convert and save? Or just convert to play...?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Avidemux is pretty good too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there

    Careful here -- this question isn't so EASY.

    The OP wants MP4/MKV/AVI files to be able to be played on a NORMAL (Stand alone domestic) DVD player which means THE REVERSE of Ripping a DVD to these formats. The proper DVD structures have to be created to play a DVD disc on a stand alone DVD player. It's not just a question of burning these to a DVD directly or just creating an AVI movie.

    You first need a program to convert the video to a DVD -- My choices are : for Windows a commercial product CONVERTXTODVD and for Linux a FREE one (just a bit better) called DEVEDE - available as a .RPM (For OPENSUSE/FEDORA type distros) or in the Linux mint /debian/Ubuntu repositories for Linux Mint/Debian / Ubuntu distros.

    There is a Windows version of DEVEDE but I can't get it to work on Windows x-64. The Linux version works flawlessly -- ConvertXtoDVD isn't too bad either - but why pay good money when a GOOD FREE superior product is available. You might be able to get DEVEDE to work on Windows though -- I always use the Linux version now -- screen shots shown the Interface is identical on Windows or Linux.

    Both these allow you to add subtitles and episodes - for example I've been creating a DVD that my folks can watch of the current US TV series COVERT AFFAIRS - now up to episode 7. The DEVEDE program has an automatic disc usage so you can burn this (approx. 9GB) at reasonable (perfectly viewable) quality on to a 4.7 DVD disc (DVD+/-RW or DVD+-R). It can also create DVD's on Dual layer etc - depending on your blank DVD's. I find if you start with high quality rips in the first place the resulting DVD on 4.7GB is perfectly viewable --and I'm picky.

    NOTE though - set the DEVEDE program to create NTSC image -- it doesn't matter as the output video type is created without conversion from the input - but the subtitle FRAME rate will be correct - some rips especially if they are from US sources will have a frame rate of 25 so you want the subtitles to sync properly.

    The program creates an .ISO with the correct DVD structures. You can then burn this with your favourite DVD burning program --I find the K3B program included in my Linux distro is fine.

    For the OTHER way around - creating AVI / MKV /MP$ rips FROM a DVD -- if it's a commercial one de-regionalize and de-crypt first with AnyDVD and then use Handbrake (Free) either in Linux or Windows - both versions work.

    (Avidemux works too --but it's a bit more complex to use -- it isn't anything like as intuitive as the two programs I've shown for creating DVD's and for multiple titles / audio / subtitles you need a bit of command line knowledge and possible another 3rd party DVD authoring program - I'd recommend only using this one once you have gained more experience in the whole DVD creating / Video editing stuff first).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails convertxtodvd.png   devede1.png   devede2.png   snapshot17.png  
    Last edited by jimbo45; 08 Aug 2014 at 04:15.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 51
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Just saying, Handbrake is probably the best program out these for transcoding videos <3

    HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by Reddd View Post
    Just saying, Handbrake is probably the best program out these for transcoding videos <3

    HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder
    Hi there

    You obviously didn't read the OP's problem --not trying to be nasty here but he wants to CREATE DVD's (I.e AUTHOR them) to play on stand alone DVD players -- not merely TRANSCODE stuff.

    HANDBRAKE CREATES things like MKV /AVI -- from a DVD for example - but the user already HAS THESE --he wants to MAKE a DVD.

    Now DVD's have a special structure for playing on a domestic DVD player -- and HANBRAKE doesn't do that.

    Please READ the thread through --Handbrake was specifically mentioned as it is fine for RIPPING DVD's but NOT CREATING THEM.

    Screenshot of what Handbrake does --IT DOES NOT CREATE A VIDEO DVD !!!!! You need a proper ISO with the DVD structures to play a DVD in a DVD domestic player.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails handbrake.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    I have a SiliconDust box to capture OTA TV and use EasyHDTV DVR to record shows. It records in the old dvr-ms format which is fine but hard to convert with many of the programs I've tried.

    I got MediaEspresso with may laptop and I love, love it. It gets bad reviews but works great for me. I can set it to use CUDA for decoding and it is fast. I encode to MP4 and an hour long 6GB show squishes to around 500MB and loos fine on a 7" tablet. Takes 15-20 minutes. Keeps my wife occupied so I'm happy.

    And I apologize in advance, I too overlooked the DVD aspect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    I have a SiliconDust box to capture OTA TV and use EasyHDTV DVR to record shows. It records in the old dvr-ms format which is fine but hard to convert with many of the programs I've tried.

    I got MediaEspresso with may laptop and I love, love it. It gets bad reviews but works great for me. I can set it to use CUDA for decoding and it is fast. I encode to MP4 and an hour long 6GB show squishes to around 500MB and loos fine on a 7" tablet. Takes 15-20 minutes. Keeps my wife occupied so I'm happy.
    Hi there

    @Popeye -- why is it so difficult to get it through people's thick nozzles that the OP already HAS AVI or whatever --he wants these to be loadable on to a STAND ALONE DVD so he can create a PHYSICAL DVD and then play this -- nothing to do with transcoding -- he already HAS AVI films or whatever --he wants a PHYSICAL playable DVD (NOT on a COMPUTER).

    GRRH!! what's so hard to understand about the OP's Post -- all the answers I've seen have the problem the WRONG WAY round apart from my answer and the person who suggested avimux - but a bit too complicated). For a DVD you need to create the structures (AUDIO-TS and Video-TS folders with the BUP / IFO / VOB files to create the DVD.

    For example here's the contents of the ROBOCOB 2014 DVD iso I created from the MKV rip.

    That's what you have to create to produce a playable DVD on a domestic DVD player.

    (Not trying to be nasty -- or offend anyone but it seems a lot have totally mis understood the original problem - CREATE a DVD.)

    Playing an AVI file on a tablet is of course an alternative solution but I gather the OP has a DVD player already "in situ".



    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snapshot18.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    I have a SiliconDust box to capture OTA TV and use EasyHDTV DVR to record shows. It records in the old dvr-ms format which is fine but hard to convert with many of the programs I've tried.

    I got MediaEspresso with may laptop and I love, love it. It gets bad reviews but works great for me. I can set it to use CUDA for decoding and it is fast. I encode to MP4 and an hour long 6GB show squishes to around 500MB and loos fine on a 7" tablet. Takes 15-20 minutes. Keeps my wife occupied so I'm happy.
    Hi there

    @Popeye -- why is it so difficult to get it through people's thick nozzles that the OP already HAS AVI or whatever --he wants these to be loadable on to a STAND ALONE DVD so he can create a PHYSICAL DVD and then play this -- nothing to do with transcoding -- he already HAS AVI films or whatever --he wants a PHYSICAL playable DVD (NOT on a COMPUTER).

    GRRH!! what's so hard to understand about the OP's Post -- all the answers I've seen have the problem the WRONG WAY round apart from my answer and the person who suggested avimux - but a bit too complicated). For a DVD you need to create the structures (AUDIO-TS and Video-TS folders with the BUP / IFO / VOB files to create the DVD.

    For example here's the contents of the ROBOCOB 2014 DVD iso I created from the MKV rip.

    That's what you have to create to produce a playable DVD on a domestic DVD player.



    Cheers
    jimbo
    Oh I understand. DVD takes a special structure as you say. In my case, I've gotten so far away from creating DVDs anymore what with tablets, usb sticks and such. Only video DVD's I play these days are Netflix and when I purchase a series like Game of Thrones, then I end up converting them anyways.

    I will shut-up now and let you provide real help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Video converter?
Related Threads
I have alot of mp4 music videos that I would like to convert to wav or flac. Can anyone recommend the best software for doing this on windows 8?
PDF Converter in Software and Apps
Hi, does anyone know of a good and "free" PDF converter that I can download. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Audio Converter in Software and Apps
Guys, I was looking for a free audio converter and finaly i got it from softpedia.As usual, i checked it with online virus total scan and confirmed that its not harmful in anyway.But when i installed it (the whole process looked suspicious) it gave me error ("app is not responding") and didnt start...
.asf to .avi converter in Software and Apps
I have old .asf video files & would like to convert them to .avi files to play in MS Media Player. The camera is a Sharp VN-EZ1 MPE-4 Digital Recorder. The video files are in .afs format. No luck trying to finding a CODEX! Can someone point me to a simple converter? The Camera is almost...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook