Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

spring clean PC

  1. #1


    Göteborg
    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1

    spring clean PC


    is there some software that will do a scan of the whole pc finding all folders & files left behind by old uninstalled software.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Quote Originally Posted by jamos316 View Post
    is there some software that will do a scan of the whole pc finding all folders & files left behind by old uninstalled software.
    No

    There is no way to identify that a specific folder was associated with a previously installed application. This is only possible if third party software was installed to track changes made when an application was installed. This will not find folders the application might have later created.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Use Revo Uninstaller in the future to avoid leftovers from files and registry.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 272
    windows 7


    Revo Unistaller is the best solution, you can use it when installing software as it keeps a track of what is installed, so when you remove them it removes everything it recorded. You can also scan exe files and folders to remove software. It's worth the purchase as its a great tool
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Göteborg
    Posts : 78
    Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1


    thanks, ill give it a go
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8.1.1 PRO 64bit


    You can also try Total Uninstall:

    Uninstall utility for Windows | Total Uninstall software with easy

    which *I* prefer over Revo (after trying both & a few others).

    Word of warning though ... take a backup of your PC BEFORE using *any* of these uninstallers ... at least create a new System Restore point, so you can recover if something goes wrong.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by BazzaG View Post
    You can also try Total Uninstall:

    Uninstall utility for Windows | Total Uninstall software with easy

    which *I* prefer over Revo (after trying both & a few others).

    Word of warning though ... take a backup of your PC BEFORE using *any* of these uninstallers ... at least create a new System Restore point, so you can recover if something goes wrong.
    Don't know about Total but Revo makes System restore point every time you uninstall something.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    I ditto everyone else. Revo has been a great tool for me and I use it occasionally when removing programs.

    The only other real way to delete old crap is to use something like Google and find out what that software installs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 51
    Windows 8.1.1 PRO 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Don't know about Total but Revo makes System restore point every time you uninstall something.
    Yes it does.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by BazzaG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Don't know about Total but Revo makes System restore point every time you uninstall something.
    Yes it does.
    Good thing for safety.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
spring clean PC
Related Threads
Source: App-V 5.0 SP2 - Spring Update Released
Hello after i installed update KB2919355 (Windows 8.1 Pro x64 + WMC) extreme lags and freezes came out of nowhere!!its random and almost all the time gets worst when i do multitasking task manager shows its the system process > ntoskrnl.exe which is using too much disk so what i did is: ...
After sfc /scannow CBS.log : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvc964h5jklc70m/CBS.log After perfoming : dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (error 0x800f081f) Dism.log : https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0925pkm3tjtl78/dism.log After perfoming : Dism /Cleanup-Image /Online /StartComponentCleanup...
Read more - Microsoft announces 'spring' update for Windows 8.1 | The Verge
Read more at: Microsoft details Windows Phone 8.1, update coming this spring | The Verge
Microsoft?s Post-Windows 8.1 Plans: Major Update in Spring, Windows 9 in Early 2015
More...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook