Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Skype for Desktop vs Skype Modern App

  1. #1


    Posts : 220
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64

    Skype for Desktop vs Skype Modern App


    I have always used Skype for Desktop and only recently found that there is a Skype Modern App on my system.
    From what I have read it would seem the best plan would be to ditch the App and just continue with the desktop version.
    Have there been any recent changes that would make the the Modern App a better solution than the Desktop version?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    They have updated it recently so it doesn't continue to ring even when you have answered the desktop version which is why I uninstalled it in the first place. This means in theory you could install both and answer whichever you felt like at the time.

    I prefer the look of the desktop version personally so I never re-installed the Modern App version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I couldn't get Skype App to work properly at all, either it looses sound, or camera or would not connect. Also interferes with desktop version if both are installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 446
    Win 8 64-bit


    As an addition to the OP's post (I'm not a Skype user so bear with me), if I understand correctly, with the Desktop app you can set it to automatically run in the background when you start your computer (so people know you're online and can call you, etc.). Does the Skype metro app automatically run in the background as well, so you can receive calls, messages, etc. whenever your computer is on and also people know when you're online?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    As an addition to the OP's post (I'm not a Skype user so bear with me), if I understand correctly, with the Desktop app you can set it to automatically run in the background when you start your computer (so people know you're online and can call you, etc.). Does the Skype metro app automatically run in the background as well, so you can receive calls, messages, etc. whenever your computer is on and also people know when you're online?
    Yes. They are the same in that regard - they both start up and sign you in automatically when you turn on your computer (assuming you ask them to).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    I think the Skype for desktop allows for more control over the options.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 446
    Win 8 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    As an addition to the OP's post (I'm not a Skype user so bear with me), if I understand correctly, with the Desktop app you can set it to automatically run in the background when you start your computer (so people know you're online and can call you, etc.). Does the Skype metro app automatically run in the background as well, so you can receive calls, messages, etc. whenever your computer is on and also people know when you're online?
    Yes. They are the same in that regard - they both start up and sign you in automatically when you turn on your computer (assuming you ask them to).
    Thanks. Does it work that way even if you're using a Local Account (and just use the 'Sign into each app separately instead' option) instead of using a Microsoft Account to log into Windows?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    Thanks. Does it work that way even if you're using a Local Account (and just use the 'Sign into each app separately instead' option) instead of using a Microsoft Account to log into Windows?
    Don't know - I use a microsoft account. Apparently not though...

    sign in to skype without using a microsoft account - Skype Community
    The modern Skype app supports login only with the Microsoft account.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Penn's Forest
    Posts : 216
    Win8.1 Pro | Win10TP Pro - boot to VHD


    There are two flavors of many applications - Desktop and Tile (it hasn't been called metro for a while and I don't knw what to call it, so Tile works for me )

    You can use either one that suits your computing preference.

    As far as Skype goes though.... I couldn't get the Tile to run either. I was mucking about my system (only 4 days on 8) and might have tripped something up)

    You can sign in to Skype for Desktop with either a Microsoft Account or use the ID and password you used before (or create a new login and password - I think)
    Skype is still a stand alone application, but MS is trying to meld it into Windows (they acquired it a few years ago and so far they haven't changed it too much - some cosmetic changes to meet the MS look and feel).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I couldn't get Skype App to work properly at all, either it looses sound, or camera or would not connect. Also interferes with desktop version if both are installed.
    Could you please give some examples of this interference? I have never noticed anything although I use them both simultaneously, always when I am online. Normally I have Skype App signed in to one Skype account (the one connected to my Windows sign in Microsoft Account), the desktop version to another Skype account which is very practical if you are using multiple Skype accounts. Also when I have them both logged in to same Skype account, I have never noticed any interference.

    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    Thanks. Does it work that way even if you're using a Local Account (and just use the 'Sign into each app separately instead' option) instead of using a Microsoft Account to log into Windows?
    Don't know - I use a microsoft account. Apparently not though...

    sign in to skype without using a microsoft account - Skype Community
    The modern Skype app supports login only with the Microsoft account.
    It is totally possible to use Skype when signed in to Windows 8 or later using a local account. See tutorial: Skype App - Use with Local Account in Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    There are two flavors of many applications - Desktop and Tile (it hasn't been called metro for a while and I don't knw what to call it, so Tile works for me )
    The apps are called Modern or Store Apps.

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Skype for Desktop vs Skype Modern App
Related Threads
Source: Skype for Modern Windows 2.8: Getting Easier to Use ? - Skype Blogs
Skype-Modern App in Software and Apps
Skype-Modern App Ok, I'm using the Modern Skype app and I want to change my picture. So I click on my user pic and I am taken to My Pictures folder. But I don't wanna be there, so I "Go Up" to the Users Folder and click/open Play. But I do not see App Data listed. What I would like to do...
Solved W8 app blocks SKYPE FOR DESKTOP in Software and Apps
So simply put, I cannot use skype for desktop. The app version that is preinstalled, I can't use because it drives me insane so uninstalled it, however, it IS STILL blocking skype for desktop from working. I've attached a screeenshot to show you what I mean. Is there a way to get rid of the app...
Read more at source: Microsoft updates Skype for Windows Phone 8, Windows desktop | ZDNet
I've experienced some problems and discomfort with skype for win8: - not able to show screen, - terrible design, - very slow response (i.e. when I click RMB, the menu shows up in several seconds, and I expect to see it immideately), - doesn't understand links to skype chat like...
so is there any differenced between thses two and I nedd both of them?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook