Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Macrium Reflect and Secure Boot

  1. #1


    Posts : 299
    Windows 8 Pro

    Macrium Reflect and Secure Boot


    1. Does secure boot need to be disabled to boot to the Macrium Reflect Free boot disk? I've got a friend I am helping remotely and she has been unable to get the disk to boot in order to restore an image I made for her a while back. I assume secure boot is enabled on her Win 8 machine.

    2. From what I've read, the pay version of Macrium Reflect seems able to allow you to open the application in Windows, set up the restore, and then it reboots automatically into the Macrium recovery environment. Would secure boot interfere with that operation?

    Thanks

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    If she selected pe4 or (preferably) pe5 when creating the macrium boot media, it will support secure boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 299
    Windows 8 Pro


    OK thanks for that info.

    I am thinking of upgrading her to the pay version of Macrium Reflect. Will an image created with the free version be restorable using the pay version if I configure a restore operation within Windows where it is set to automatically reboot the computer to the Macrium Reflect rescue environment on the next reboot (without needing a boot disk)?

    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    OK thanks for that info.

    I am thinking of upgrading her to the pay version of Macrium Reflect. Will an image created with the free version be restorable using the pay version if I configure a restore operation within Windows where it is set to automatically reboot the computer to the Macrium Reflect rescue environment on the next reboot (without needing a boot disk)?

    Thanks
    It should.

    I've never had to use my boot disk.
    I have the paid version.

    You can test it without actually restoring.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    I experimented with Macrium.

    I made a series of screenshots.
    Whether they will help remains to be seen.

    Screenshots:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    I hope this helps in some way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    @DavidBailey:

    When you respond, you REALLY respond. Hopefully, the OP will acknowledge your efforts. Nice work!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    @DavidBailey:

    When you respond, you REALLY respond. Hopefully, the OP will acknowledge your efforts. Nice work!
    Thank you.
    I like making screenshots.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 299
    Windows 8 Pro


    Thanks, David, those screenshots are useful in understanding Macrium.

    And if my friend ends up doing a restore, I'll have her access them on her iPad as a guide.

    Your last screen says you need to proceed using the boot menu. Does the Macrium installation create the boot menu entry automatically, or do you need to instruct it to do so? And is there a way to make the Macrium recovery environment be the default boot choice temporarily when the computer reboots? I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video that showed that.

    She has been unable to get her computer to boot from the Macrium disk, I may have her install the pay version if I can confirm to her that her image made with the free version will work with the pay version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Thanks, David, those screenshots are useful in understanding Macrium.

    And if my friend ends up doing a restore, I'll have her access them on her iPad as a guide.

    Your last screen says you need to proceed using the boot menu. Does the Macrium installation create the boot menu entry automatically, or do you need to instruct it to do so? And is there a way to make the Macrium recovery environment be the default boot choice temporarily when the computer reboots? I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video that showed that.

    She has been unable to get her computer to boot from the Macrium disk, I may have her install the pay version if I can confirm to her that her image made with the free version will work with the pay version.
    1- make macrium image.{format usb as NTFS}

    2-- Make boot environment.

    Insert image usb.
    restart.

    Wait for the boot options to appear & follow the prompts.

    How to add boot options menu:

    Click image for larger version
    Last edited by David Bailey; 02 Apr 2014 at 05:19.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 299
    Windows 8 Pro


    OK that helps. Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Macrium Reflect and Secure Boot
Related Threads
I'm just been playing with free backup tools; Macrium Reflect and Aomei Backupper, and working out which works best for me for those times when you need to boot from a Recovery CD. I'm posting in case it helps someone else. I've been using a Toshiba PC which has 64-bit Windows 8...
Using Macrium Reflect in Software and Apps
This is how I do it. Works good. First install it. I have the paid Standard version: 45365 Then create the recovery environment:
Hi I have just tried out the free version of the Macrium Reflect dusk backup utility on my fresh copy of a clean install of Win 8 x64 Pro. It is the latest free version 5.1 b5299. It seems ok except when I go to make a rescue media and then W8 will close down with a new type of BSOD, and the...
A new update for Macrium Reflect is available. 39964
Macrium Reflect Pro Differntial in Software and Apps
When I'm doing multiple differential images, let's say with a weekly internal, do I make each subsequent one starting from the last differential or from the initial full image? As I've looked it seems to allow to do it one way or the other, but I'd like to know the proper safe alternative. ...
Solved Question about Macrium Reflect in Software and Apps
I have the free edition. The picture below shows my question : 28175
Macrium Reflect in Software and Apps
Anybody tried installing Reflect ? Back up your registry Hives first. LOL
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook