Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What is your favorite default app? Which do you use most?

  1. #1


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10

    What is your favorite default app? Which do you use most?


    I have two favorites, the Video app and the Mail app. Whenever I go back to my Windows 7 Ultimate partition for some reason I miss these two apps so much! I now simply cannot live without at least the Mail App, it's incredibly simple and at the same time so handy and practical. Having to open up my browser then logging in, then using that old fashion way of going through my e-mail has become a thing of the past.
    And I love the Video Library App because I can see all my movies from all folders on big thumbnails in one cool place.
    And the fact that 8.1 added the possibility to continue watching from where you left off is great!!

    So, what are your favorite/most used default apps? Why?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Honestly, none of them.

    VLC is better for video, WMP is better for audio, Acrobat Reader is better than PDF viewer, Outlook or WLM is better for email. Calculator, well, it is poor. Food and Drink is quite fun to wave your hands at for a few seconds...

    The Weather one is OK I guess.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Honestly, none of them.

    VLC is better for video, WMP is better for audio, Acrobat Reader is better than PDF viewer, Outlook or WLM is better for email. Calculator, well, it is poor. Food and Drink is quite fun to wave your hands at for a few seconds...

    The Weather one is OK I guess.
    I meant more as a new concept than as something you'd use despite better existing programs with better functionality. I know VLC and specially Media Player Classic HC are a LOT better for video than the Video app on 8.1, I mean they have tons of options available
    and work better as a whole as a consequence of that. But as a new Windows concept the Video app is going in the right direction. To me, if it had the same amount of options and worked as well as MPC-HC the Video app would be amazing. Even now, so early into its development, "as a concept" it is great to use. As is the Mail app, sure, it lacks a lot of functionality if compared to Outlook or even a browser, but again, "as a new concept" it is also headed in the right direction. I mean, being able to split screen your Mail with a link and being able to use both at the same time with no prejudice of one another is a great concept.
    Like I've said on this forum on another thread, Windows 8.1 is still in development, it is still an unfinished product, and as such you have to consider it and its functionalities and apps as concepts, and as such they're great!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Trnava
    Posts : 683
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64


    None of them as well. The problem with Microsoft apps is, that they are meant for everyone, so they are way too simple and they are always missing something basic. I do not even use explorer or task manager.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    India
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14


    Quite honestly, News is probably the only app, I think, I can say I have no other alternative to. I have never had a better news reading experience on a computer. Simple, fluid and one-stop center for all your news without ads. Great!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10


    Just one simple question for all of you who don't like the Windows 8 apps: Why use Windows 8/8.1 in the first place then?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10


    Quote Originally Posted by TairikuOkami View Post
    None of them as well. The problem with Microsoft apps is, that they are meant for everyone, so they are way too simple and they are always missing something basic. I do not even use explorer or task manager.
    If you are a power user you'd be likely to steer clear of the Windows 8 apps, that's for sure, but for most users I think they can be very useful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    They aren't Default Apps but I use The Weather Channel App and the Slacker Radio App everyday. I did use the Bing Weather App for quit a while which is one of the default apps. The term "Default Apps" doesn't really mean much though as a new PC will have a bunch of Apps installed by the OEM. A lot more than what you would get with just your standard install from Microsoft supplied retail install media.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Rio
    Posts : 85
    Triple Boot Win7, Win8.1 and 10


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    They aren't Default Apps but I use The Weather Channel App and the Slacker Radio App everyday. I did use the Bing Weather App for quit a while which is one of the default apps. The term "Default Apps" doesn't really mean much though as a new PC will have a bunch of Apps installed by the OEM. A lot more than what you would get with just your standard install from Microsoft supplied retail install media.
    That must be it then, I asked those who don't seem to like any apps in Windows 8 why use it in the first place? The answer can only be they are using apps other than the retail Windows 8 ones.
    To me, an average user/gamer with a little bit of extra knowledge, the Mail app and the Video app on 8.1 could be so much better if only they had more options, especially the Video app which has the volume option and not much else, it's a shame because other than that I love it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by rafael1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    They aren't Default Apps but I use The Weather Channel App and the Slacker Radio App everyday. I did use the Bing Weather App for quit a while which is one of the default apps. The term "Default Apps" doesn't really mean much though as a new PC will have a bunch of Apps installed by the OEM. A lot more than what you would get with just your standard install from Microsoft supplied retail install media.
    That must be it then, I asked those who don't seem to like any apps in Windows 8 why use it in the first place? The answer can only be they are using apps other than the retail Windows 8 ones.
    To me, an average user/gamer with a little bit of extra knowledge, the Mail app and the Video app on 8.1 could be so much better if only they had more options, especially the Video app which has the volume option and not much else, it's a shame because other than that I love it.
    Other than the two Apps I mentioned I do everything else with desktop programs. I use Outlook, Internet Explorer (desktop version) and Media player just like I did in Windows 7. I launch them from my taskbar. If you install a third party program to revive the traditional start menu, 8 can be just like 7. I didn't go that route as I don't mind using the Start Screen. I actually find it easier than the old start menu. There is more to Windows 8 than just the Metro Apps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
What is your favorite default app? Which do you use most?
Related Threads
What's your favorite food? in Chillout Room
My is pizza and Mac and cheese!
Solved Saving a Favorite Without Name in Browsers & Mail
Hello, I just recently imported Bookmarks (Favorites) from Chrome, and I was wondering how to remove the names of my bookmarks to have only the icons showing? That's the way I have them in Chrome, and it is great because it saves tremendous space on the Favorite Bar. I don't want to change with...
What's your favorite metro app? in Software and Apps
Let's discuss apps, YOUR personal favorites that you've come across. My personal favorite that I adore, Cocktail Flow. :cool: It's absolutely well done in the metro form and just FANTASTIC! There are SO many drinks.... WOW! :dinesh:
Ok, after a clean install, what are the first must do tweaks you do? EDIT: Thanks for all of the input so far. Keep them coming! Here's a quick list from me. - Disable UAC (Never Notify) - Disable All Notification Center Notices - Netplwiz - Disable Firewall and Defender - Disable System...
Favorite Browser? in Browsers & Mail
THIS POST HAS BEEN MOVED! VISIT THE NEW ONE HERE Welcome! Please take the survey here: bit.ly/1eL9nJF. The survey ends on the 31st of March and the results will be published here (photos of the graphs and a Microsoft Excel file). UPDATE 1/10/2014​: The survey is open! View it here!...
What is your favorite browser? in Browsers & Mail
What is your FAVORITE browser?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook