Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to download free apps in Windows Store?

  1. #1

    How to download free apps in Windows Store?


    Is it possible to download free apps from Windows Store directly (without going through "Windows Store" icon/apps in Windows 8.1? I'm having a problem with Windows Store in my OS, whenever I try it, it just said no network connection, but I can surf no problem using FF/Skype etc. If I can go directly to Windows Store website and download the apps directly from there, it'll be awesome, but everytime I tried, it just goes back to my OS Windows Store.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    Posts : 1,412
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition


    Hi there and welcome to Eight Forums Michael!

    Hmmm, good question. As far as I know it's not possible (at least not easy) to install apps without using the Windows Store.

    But hey... why do we not try to get the issue solved so you can use the Windows Store? It sounds to me like a few 'standard tricks' might work in your case. Please follow the following two tutorials. There is a great chance this will solve the problem.


    First run the DISM: DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

    Then run the SFC: SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8


    Please do post back your results so I can help you further is these two options don't help you.

    Greetz,

    Rover
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by Der Snoober View Post
    Hi there and welcome to Eight Forums Michael! Hmmm, good question. As far as I know it's not possible (at least not easy) to install apps without using the Windows Store. But hey... why do we not try to get the issue solved so you can use the Windows Store? It sounds to me like a few 'standard tricks' might work in your case. Please follow the following two tutorials. There is a great chance this will solve the problem. First run the DISM: DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8 Then run the SFC: SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8 Please do post back your results so I can help you further is these two options don't help you. Greetz, Rover
    Thanks for your reply, I'll try to fix the problem, please note that I'm not trying to install the apps, I'm just wondering if it's possible to download those apps from Windows Store, I believe I found a solution on how to install apps downloaded from Windows Store, since I don't have the apps itself, I could not test it, besides I'm avoiding in using MS apps due to its lack of professionalism and inefficiency. I'll try your solution to fix the problem, but I'd like still to know a way to download the apps from the Store. I'll post back if it worked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by Der Snoober View Post
    Hi there and welcome to Eight Forums Michael!

    Hmmm, good question. As far as I know it's not possible (at least not easy) to install apps without using the Windows Store.

    But hey... why do we not try to get the issue solved so you can use the Windows Store? It sounds to me like a few 'standard tricks' might work in your case. Please follow the following two tutorials. There is a great chance this will solve the problem.


    First run the DISM: DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

    Then run the SFC: SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8


    Please do post back your results so I can help you further is these two options don't help you.

    Greetz,

    Rover
    When I ran the DISM command, the first (Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth) came back said it's repairable, but the second command (Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth) just stuck there, I left it running for over 15 min and never returned, so my guess is my OS is messed up. I'm afraid of running the 3rd command, because it'll add updates and I had disabled Windows automatic update because with other versions of Windows, it kept adding stuffs that I don't need until my C drive ran out of space and I had to reinstall OS again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Hi there. You may want to look at this Tutorial by Brink:

    Fix Store Apps and Tiles that are Not Working or Responding in Windows 8 and 8.1
    Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

    Turn off updates because they fill up the hard drive? I looked up the specs on your laptop and the from what I can see the smallest drive is 500GB. If that be true, there's no way 8.1 OS with updates could fill it. Something else is wrong.

    Updates are what fixes flaws in the OS, add features, and keep it secure.
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 13 Feb 2014 at 12:20.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Are you logging in with a Live ID account or local user? I've read that the Windows Store does not work when you use a local account. I don't know if it blocks actually connecting or not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Hi there. You may want to look at this Tutorial by Brink:

    Fix Store Apps and Tiles that are Not Working or Responding in Windows 8 and 8.1
    Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

    Turn off updates because they fill up the hard drive? I looked up the specs on your laptop and the from what I can see the smallest drive is 500GB. If that be true, there's no way 8.1 OS with updates could fill it. Something else is wrong.

    Updates are what fixes flaws in the OS, add features, and keep it secure.
    Thanks for your reply, sorry I haven't stated clearly my current environment, I have a 500GB HD, but only 70 were allocated to C, the rest to D and Linux. I'm using D as my data partition, so most of my data/files are located there, so it has the biggest size. With my previous XP, I had to re-install Windows every few years, having a D drive, it'll make the re-install process much easier.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Are you logging in with a Live ID account or local user? I've read that the Windows Store does not work when you use a local account. I don't know if it blocks actually connecting or not.
    Thanks so much for your reply, I think this is the problem, during install I did not use any account, unfortunately I didn't have my security code any longer, so I had to request it and it'll take up to 30 days to reset it. But now I can get to the Windows Store.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    I'm glad you fixed your problem via alphanumeric's post/answer.

    I would highly recommend if it is at all possible to extend your partition so as to have more room for updates. Please consider that.

    Good luck to you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    I'm glad you fixed your problem via alphanumeric's post/answer.

    I would highly recommend if it is at all possible to extend your partition so as to have more room for updates. Please consider that.

    Good luck to you.
    Thanks for your reply, I've tried that route with XP, but the trouble is MS just keep adding stuff to your HD no matter if you need it or not, besides, after an update/apps is obsolete, it did not remove it, so your HD just keeps growing and growing until you ran out of space. That's why I disabled the auto update, Linux in this regard is much cleaner and efficient, but unfortunately the manufacturer has not provided the drivers yet for it, I am still waiting....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to download free apps in Windows Store?
Related Threads
I tried downloading various apps from the store, but the message I get was I can't install this app. For example, I tried to install PDF Reader 8, and I get error code 0x80070032. Does the error code reveal what the problem is? I am running Windows 8, not Windows 8.1, on the Lenovo IdeaPad.
When I try to download Metro apps from Windows Store, I receive an error message saying "Something happened and this app couldn't be installed. Please try again later. Error code: 0x80010108". I Googled it and tried to reset Windows Store cache by wsreset.exe but it didn't help. It occurs to every...
Beginning of 2013 there was about 40,000 apps ready to be downloaded at the Windows Store. The Store grows rapidly, faster than other similar stores for other platforms. Not all Windows Apps cost money. In fact a great number of games and apps is available for free, ready to be installed. This...
When trying to install a FREE app from the windows store, I constantly get Your purchase couldn't be completed error code 0x800704d5. I have checked all my settings...all seems in order.. I have installed free apps before, but now cannot install anything. My ISP address is foreign..Has...
Hi there, I have recently purchased Pro version of Microsoft Windows 8. Now everything is just working fine as it should, though I faced some problems in adding my accounts in Mail app, but I sorted it out. Now, the problem is that I am not able to download/install any app from...
After relocating c:\users\<username> to D:\Users\<username> APPS no longer work, Store-App, Internet Explorer app all fail. This WAS attached to another thread but it got separated & moved here... Poorly re-titled to boot. I started with Win-7/64 Pro, running on a SATA-II 640gb HDD...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook