Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows Explorer Metro app?

  1. #1


    Posts : 40
    Windows 8

    Windows Explorer Metro app?


    Is there a Metro/Modern UI version of Windows Explorer?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Yes, it should be the default for what launches from the Metro IE Tile. The one launched from the taskbar is the desktop version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 40
    Windows 8


    Windows Explorer. This:

    Click image for larger version

    Not Internet Explorer. Not these:

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version

    (Credits for the images go to Paul Thurrott and Windows Supersite)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Raident,

    If you have Windows 8.1, then you could use the included modern SkyDrive app to browse This PC with in a modern UI. I personally prefer File Explorer from the desktop though.

    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29449-skydrive-app-browse-skydrive-pc-windows-8-1-a.html

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    If it is only a Metro tile, you are needing, you can right click the "Explorer.exe" program, in the Windows folder, and "pin to Start"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Ah, Windows Explorer, missed that somehow, sorry.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Raident,

    If you have Windows 8.1, then you could use the included modern SkyDrive app to browse This PC with in a modern UI. I personally prefer File Explorer from the desktop though.

    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29449-skydrive-app-browse-skydrive-pc-windows-8-1-a.html

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    That's interesting, I didn't realize you could browse locally with that too. I don't have anything stored in "The Cloud" so I've never done anything with that app.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Raident,

    If you have Windows 8.1, then you could use the included modern SkyDrive app to browse This PC with in a modern UI. I personally prefer File Explorer from the desktop though.

    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29449-skydrive-app-browse-skydrive-pc-windows-8-1-a.html

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    That's interesting, I didn't realize you could browse locally with that too. I don't have anything stored in "The Cloud" so I've never done anything with that app.
    It's handy when you're on a touchscreen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Raident,

    If you have Windows 8.1, then you could use the included modern SkyDrive app to browse This PC with in a modern UI. I personally prefer File Explorer from the desktop though.

    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29449-skydrive-app-browse-skydrive-pc-windows-8-1-a.html

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    That's interesting, I didn't realize you could browse locally with that too. I don't have anything stored in "The Cloud" so I've never done anything with that app.
    It's handy when you're on a touchscreen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Michigan
    Posts : 50
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Interesting note - There are other Modern or Metro apps available that are made for file exploration/management but they are not allowed (according to developers - by Microsoft) to launch executable files. Skydrive does not have that problem. It can run executable files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Explorer Metro app?
Related Threads
I have had windows 8.1 for nearly 6 months and have never been able to use Internet Explorer Metro, I've reinstalled the OS 3 times, Reset internet explorer, turned it of at programmes and features restarted and turned it back on, I've cleared caches, turned off addons. On reinstallation I have...
I've recently upgraded to Window's 8.1 , I'm on my 3rd reinstall but still can't get IE 11 metro functioning properly, the dudes at Microsoft support keep making a mess so I then have to keep reinstalling. Nobody knows how to fix this problem! Every time I start the machine and run IE metro it...
Read More: New Windows 8.1 leak includes 'Metro' file explorer and improved multitasking | The Verge :) So what do you think of these new rumors?
I'll be in desktop mode in Windows 8 using Chrome or Internet Explorer and will swipe the touchpad of my Sony laptop sometimes and the computer will switch to the Metro verion of IE... I don't understand what I'm doing that is causing that. Is there some touchpad movement that causes apps to switch...
How to Add or Remove Favorites in Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) Metro in Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to add or remove your Favorites from within Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) Metro (aka: Windows UI) in Windows 8. Both the Internet Explorer 10 in Windows UI (Metro) and desktop...
Solved Metro Internet Explorer in Browsers & Mail
Maybe it's just me but I went to the metro start screen to try out the metro internet explorer but I don't see the icon and I searched for it but only the desktop version exists it seems. Anyone know how to get the metro internet explorer or know why it isn't installed? I didn't uninstall anything.
How to Open and Close Tabs in Modern IE10 in Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to open new tabs and close tabs while using modern Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 and Windows RT. Modern Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) from your Start screen will only work if you have Internet Explorer...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook