Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows Store and all other Windows apps won't open

  1. #1


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8

    Windows Store and all other Windows apps won't open


    Attempted to update to 8.1 yesterday and the store just won't open. Every time I click on the Store tile it doesn't get past the green introductory screen before just disappearing (crashing).. Have restarted several times and used the link-through on the Windows 8.1 site. Also, I have since discovered that all apps won't open either (such as news and sports).. Any help?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Syder, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    I'm not sure what you link you tried, but you might see if going through the troubleshooting steps in the tutorial below may be able to help.

    Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    I'm not sure what you link you tried
    The one featured on the Windows Microsoft site that, when clicked, launches the store which in my case will not open
    Microsoft Windows - Microsoft Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21051-apps-tiles-not-working-responding-fix-windows-8-a.html
    Honestly, I've pretty much all of those solutions and many don't apply. When I click on apps they don't react and when I click on the store it crashes (I think but there is no error message so I can't say for sure)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Quote Originally Posted by Syder View Post
    Attempted to update to 8.1 yesterday and the store just won't open. Every time I click on the Store tile it doesn't get past the green introductory screen before just disappearing (crashing).. Have restarted several times and used the link-through on the Windows 8.1 site. Also, I have since discovered that all apps won't open either (such as news and sports).. Any help?
    I'm running into the same thing just now. This is AFTER I had already updated to 8.1

    I ran the clear store cashe WSReset.exe and it came back up
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    I'm running into the same thing just now. This is AFTER I had already updated to 8.1

    I ran the clear store cashe WSReset.exe and it came back up
    I too have done this and it hasn't resolved the issue.. How is yours running now?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Quote Originally Posted by Syder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    I'm running into the same thing just now. This is AFTER I had already updated to 8.1

    I ran the clear store cashe WSReset.exe and it came back up
    I too have done this and it hasn't resolved the issue.. How is yours running now?
    its back as far as I can tell, problem is I never used this before, but had to use it to update W8, and some "apps" that were part of the OS as far as I know, which I never used either.

    This morning I clicked it just to see what it does now, and it did as yours does, opens right quick and closes, I ran that exe file in my run box and it popped back up, but now it shows all kinds of crap, and have no idea what to do with it. I wanted to see if it went back to the D/L section, but I guess not after you do the 8.1 update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Apparently this is a common problem but the fixes to the problem vary from person to person.. So, I'm stuck really.. No idea what to do.


    It's really frustrating that Microsoft won't release 8.1 as an ISO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Quote Originally Posted by Syder View Post
    Apparently this is a common problem but the fixes to the problem vary from person to person.. So, I'm stuck really.. No idea what to do.


    It's really frustrating that Microsoft won't release 8.1 as an ISO.
    yeah its like that with a lot of these bugs.

    and yeah its silly for them to not put out a ISO for a program of this size. Besides all the technet people and some schools were able to get hold of one, maybe one of those individuals will upload it to some download site , its got to happen if MS doesn't do it first. I mean man if for some reason you wanted to re install clean, you'd have to go through the "connected" DL again, and what if you didn't have a connection than? At least make a "update" ISO if that has to be, so it can be used if you do install your W8 from DVD first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    I found this solution, which worked. Run the following in a Command Window to re-register the Store app:
    powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    I found this solution, which worked. Run the following in a Command Window to re-register the Store app:
    powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
    Maybe I typed it wrong but some of those commands didn't work for me
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Store and all other Windows apps won't open
Related Threads
How do I stop Windows 8 from automatically open the Windows metro App store when I visit an app URL on their WEBSITE Apps for Windows - Microsoft Windows ? It's the same with every browser.
My Computer: Acer | Aspire V5 | Aspire V5-552G-X412 | Overview As of a few days ago, none of the apps in the "windows" menu will open. My Store also will not boot. It opens, animates, and closes. I've tried many solutions, none of which have helped. *Note*: My resolution has not changed. It is...
the message seen on the desktop but sooon after internet connection dissapear need your help on this(there is no apps to open this link(cef-error)
Hey anyone who can help feel free to do so: This is my first post on the windows 8 forums, and I was looking for help with this issue. I downloaded the Microsoft solitaire collection from the windows store, and it will not open. I click on the icon on the start menu, it pops up, and then it just...
Very strange behavior, would like to know how I can fix it. When I click any Metro application, either on Metro screen or Search > Apps, all I get is Windows Store. This started a few days ago, seemingly by itself (nothing new installed, no new updates, nothing). This very effectively makes all...
Windows 8 Store To Allow Open Source Apps
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook