Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

64 bit vs 32 bit

  1. #11


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Well about XP Mode:
    I was trying to say XP Mode is not available in Win8, you need your own XP installation / new license to install.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 42
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Well about XP Mode:
    I was trying to say XP Mode is not available in Win8, you need your own XP installation / new license to install.
    I installed windows XP,throught Oracle virtual Bpx...The Problem is that the application i want to run is 16 bit,and it SAYS that Windows can't run 16 BIT,when i open them on Windows XP SP3 which i installed

    So,if all the installation was only for 32 bit applications,than it is NULL,as 32 bit applications are already supported by windows 8


    Any idea before i use MY RESTORE POINT,which i made before installing windows XP?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    32bit XP can run 16bit applications.
    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
    Can't run 16-bit Windows Program...... - CNET Windows XP Forums

    And 32bit Win8 can do it as well.
    Installing Windows 8 32-bit
    compatibility - Does Windows 8 Support 16-bit Programs? - Super User

    If your XP install is complete then it shouldn't have problems with this. Some DOS programs may need changed settings to be able to run.

    I am on Win8 x64 and the only way here to run 16bit applications is through VM's or by using DosBox.
    32bit XP runs 16bit (DOS) without problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 42
    windows 8


    Strange,tried many things it still can't run Just one thing...I did not install windows XP from an EXTERNAL DRIVE...instead, i got the version from microsoft(WINDOWS XP MODE around 470 mb)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    32bit XP can run 16bit applications.
    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
    Can't run 16-bit Windows Program...... - CNET Windows XP Forums

    And 32bit Win8 can do it as well.
    Installing Windows 8 32-bit
    compatibility - Does Windows 8 Support 16-bit Programs? - Super User

    If your XP install is complete then it shouldn't have problems with this. Some DOS programs may need changed settings to be able to run.

    I am on Win8 x64 and the only way here to run 16bit applications is through VM's or by using DosBox.
    32bit XP runs 16bit (DOS) without problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 42
    windows 8


    So it did not request me an installation key to install it
    Quote Originally Posted by studenti View Post
    Strange,tried many things it still can't run Just one thing...I did not install windows XP from an EXTERNAL DRIVE...instead, i got the version from microsoft(WINDOWS XP MODE around 470 mb)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    32bit XP can run 16bit applications.
    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
    Can't run 16-bit Windows Program...... - CNET Windows XP Forums

    And 32bit Win8 can do it as well.
    Installing Windows 8 32-bit
    compatibility - Does Windows 8 Support 16-bit Programs? - Super User

    If your XP install is complete then it shouldn't have problems with this. Some DOS programs may need changed settings to be able to run.

    I am on Win8 x64 and the only way here to run 16bit applications is through VM's or by using DosBox.
    32bit XP runs 16bit (DOS) without problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 42
    windows 8


    I am starting to think that the problem is in the virtual Box,,,i might be wrong though...The XP runs normally,as if
    it was its real original program,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 42
    windows 8


    Hopachi,should i use any other machine apart from that of Oracle virtual Box?maybe it is because of the virtual machine...if yes,what would you suggest me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    32bit XP can run 16bit applications.
    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
    Can't run 16-bit Windows Program...... - CNET Windows XP Forums

    And 32bit Win8 can do it as well.
    Installing Windows 8 32-bit
    compatibility - Does Windows 8 Support 16-bit Programs? - Super User

    If your XP install is complete then it shouldn't have problems with this. Some DOS programs may need changed settings to be able to run.

    I am on Win8 x64 and the only way here to run 16bit applications is through VM's or by using DosBox.
    32bit XP runs 16bit (DOS) without problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Other comparable software would be VMware Player but the latest versions require 64bit OS.
    The last version that runs on 32bit is 3.1.6 but I never tested that one on Win8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
64 bit vs 32 bit
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook