Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows Movie Maker problem

  1. #1


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64 bti

    Windows Movie Maker problem


    Hello all,

    So I recently bought a new laptop that had Windows 8 installed and initally installed Windows Essentials 2012. Everything was working nice and fine. So I wanted to create a video from images I captured using my USB capture device from my gameplay. So I selected that video in Windows Live Movie Maker 2012 and it wouldn't play. The preview window was black but all I could hear was the audio from my video.

    So I went to do research online and decided to uninstall windows essentials 2012 and went back to 2011. It installed perfectly. I went to try my video again in the 2011 version and it said my video was corrupt!! I was of course angry.

    I still have my old Windows 7 laptop with the 2011 version so I tried the same video on my old laptop and it would play correctly.

    So my question is to anyone who can help is:

    What can I do to get this video to play correctly on ANY version of Windows Movie Maker for my Windows 8 laptop (I will soon be getting rid of the old Windows 7).


    The video is in the .mpg format which according the Microsoft should work.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    The best thing you can do right now is try this modified version of Movie Maker 6. It installs quickly and works perfectly in Windows 8 and, IMHO, is the best version of WMM ever (formerly for Vista only).

    Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64 bti


    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    The best thing you can do right now is try this modified version of Movie Maker 6. It installs quickly and works perfectly in Windows 8 and, IMHO, is the best version of WMM ever (formerly for Vista only).

    Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
    I did try to install this version of Windows Movie Maker 6, and I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    It may not apply to you, but make sure your computer is up to date, using Windows Update.
    An update that adds Microsoft Camera Codec Pack support to Windows 8 and Windows RT is available
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64 bti


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sardonicus View Post
    It may not apply to you, but make sure your computer is up to date, using Windows Update.
    An update that adds Microsoft Camera Codec Pack support to Windows 8 and Windows RT is available

    I have checked my Windows Update and have no more updates available at this time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by hikarisilver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    The best thing you can do right now is try this modified version of Movie Maker 6. It installs quickly and works perfectly in Windows 8 and, IMHO, is the best version of WMM ever (formerly for Vista only).

    Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
    I did try to install this version of Windows Movie Maker 6, and I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?
    In Windows Movie Maker 6 (the one I recommended), Go to Tools> Options> Compatibility and uncheck all boxes. This will remove the possibility that WMM 6 is trying to use an incompatible codec. Once done, try to make your movie again and see what happens:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64 bti


    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hikarisilver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    The best thing you can do right now is try this modified version of Movie Maker 6. It installs quickly and works perfectly in Windows 8 and, IMHO, is the best version of WMM ever (formerly for Vista only).

    Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
    I did try to install this version of Windows Movie Maker 6, and I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?
    In Windows Movie Maker 6 (the one I recommended), Go to Tools> Options> Compatibility and uncheck all boxes. This will remove the possibility that WMM 6 is trying to use an incompatible codec. Once done, try to make your movie again and see what happens:

    Click image for larger version
    Yeah, I did as you suggested but again nothing changed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    So, right now, I'm a bit confused at what point the new movie doesn't play. Are you trying to play it in WMM before you export it or are you trying to play it after you export it. If after export, what selection did you use to export it and what media player are you try to use to play it? I know you said .mpg format somewhere but I'm not sure how that fits when you say you were trying to play the movie inside WMM (and that would be before export; yes?). BTW, I hope you tried to make a new movie after unchecking those boxes because that would have no effect on a movie that was already made.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64 bti


    Quote Originally Posted by JustATest View Post
    So, right now, I'm a bit confused at what point the new movie doesn't play. Are you trying to play it in WMM before you export it or are you trying to play it after you export it. If after export, what selection did you use to export it and what media player are you try to use to play it? I know you said .mpg format somewhere but I'm not sure how that fits when you say you were trying to play the movie inside WMM (and that would be before export; yes?). BTW, I hope you tried to make a new movie after unchecking those boxes because that would have no effect on a movie that was already made.
    Right after I import the .mpg file into WMM it won't play video. I even wait half a minute and the video wont play but the audio from the video file will. I'm not trying to export (not yet anyways) because I have to do some video editing and adding narration to the .mpg file before making a final video.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    I though you started by capturing images and then trying to create a movie? Your last response has nothing to do with that. Now, you either have a corrupted movie file or it was created with an incompatible codec (for WMM). Maybe an H264 codec. So, download Freemake Video Converter (you can search for it) and see if you can convert that movie file to a WMV format. If that works, it will play in WMM. If not, it will tell you why it can't convert it. Good luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Movie Maker problem
Related Threads
Hi everyone, I need some help. I film online classes, so I'm really up against a time crunch as I have a production team waiting on me, let me cut to the chase.... I need my Movie Make to work. It worked just fine when I had Windows 7, but now (As a Windows 8 user) when I try to save anything...
Hello, when I launched movie maker it would not start. I tried reinstalling but no luck. Heres a screenshot. I've already also tried installing the newest video card driver too. :mad: System specs are : OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Processor: Intel Pentium CPU 3.40 GHz 3.41 GHz RAM: 4.00 GB Video...
Relatively new laptop, Toshiba Satellite P75-A7100, love it. Windows 8, getting used to it. I like to make "movies" with Movie Maker of my pix and scrapbook pages, etc. and I create an annual slide show for our ACS Relay For Life. Downloaded Windows Essentials because I like and am most...
I downloaded the Movie Maker few days back and acidently deleted it from my PC. Now i can't re-install it. I try to install windows essentials 2012 from Elokuvatyökalu - Microsoft Windows but after the installation is complete i can't find the movie maker or anything else this essentials is...
Windows movie maker help. in General Support
I try to save my project but my computer overheats and "hibernates" what do I do?
Windows Movie Maker in General Support
Is there any kind person out there who knows about the Movie maker free download on Windows 8 site ? I cannot get MPEG files to show in the viewing screen although they can be seen in timeline? Someone suggested I try to install a codec pack. ( K-lite standard) Which I tried but it made...
Windows Movie maker does not work in Software and Apps
I recently purchased a Dell 8500 with window 7. Movie maker worked great. I upgraded to the $14.99 windows 8 pro and now the Movie Maker software will not work. I import a video and I am able to cut the start position and set an end to the video - though it is very slow now. When I import the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook