Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Office 2013 retail is tied to 1 machine forever

  1. #41


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    No one is really running vista these days as even Windows 8 is slowing encroaching on that marketshare.
    I guess all these people are nobodies:

    Happy 5th birthday Windows Vista

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    My wife is running Vista on her laptop. It has run fine and wasn't worth spending money to upgrade. Won't upgrade this machine ever. Will simply use it until it dies and then replace it.

    Still got quite a number of people on Vista at the office too..although we have an enterprise agreement allowing office..so that is a non issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Everything you say is true, Robot. However, there are some of us who just do not want to go that route. Here's why I don't.

    1. By now, I'm pretty familiar with Office 2010 and truly don't have a reason to upgrade. (I did beta test Office 2013, and just don't care for it all that much.)
    2. I have enough Office 2010 legit copies to cover my five computers.
    3. I was in on SkyDrive when it was 7 gigs for free. When it went commercial, I was offered and accepted 25 gigs for free.
    4. With the ribbon, the learning curve for each new version of Office will be pretty steep for some.
    5. My savings? Hmmmm, you're good at the math, so you do it.

    And those are only my reasons. I don't speak for anyone else at all. As I said in the beginning, I agree with you and would certainly take the Office 365 option if I wanted to upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    Well i like Office 2013, which is an improvement over previous versions.

    I like it when i can open 3 of 4 Excel docu's all in a different window, simply because that way i make less mistakes, saving a doc with the wrong, thus overwriting another doc.

    But it is true...it seems we will be paying and paying Microsoft more and more every year.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    If you do the math,, no, you are not paying more and more, you are actually paying less.
    Even if it is on one PC for the Office 365 subscription, it's works out to being cheaper if they upgrade it each year with new features ala Blue, this is still up in the air as no info has been released about it officially.

    Again,,, Retail 400$+ right now, or,,, $400 over 4 years.
    If a new release is out every 3 years, it's actually 300$. per release
    But not everyone has only one PC, so, the more you install it on, the cheaper it is.

    So,
    $400 x 5 = $2000
    or
    $100 / 5 = $20

    Basic math is fun :P
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    If you do the math,, no, you are not paying more and more, you are actually paying less.
    Even if it is on one PC for the Office 365 subscription, it's works out to being cheaper if they upgrade it each year with new features ala Blue, this is still up in the air as no info has been released about it officially.

    Again,,, Retail 400$+ right now, or,,, $400 over 4 years.
    If a new release is out every 3 years, it's actually 300$. per release
    But not everyone has only one PC, so, the more you install it on, the cheaper it is.

    So,
    $400 x 5 = $2000
    or
    $100 / 5 = $20

    Basic math is fun :P
    What happens if you decide not to keep subscribing to Office after the first, second or third year (or any year), will Office 365 stop working?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    What happens if you decide not to keep subscribing to Office after the first, second or third year (or any year), will Office 365 stop working?
    Yup. Just like a magazine subscription, when you stop paying, the magazine stops coming.

    The difference is that you can still read the "old" magazines you've already gotten, but my bet says you won't be able to continue using the "old" version of Office.

    Which brings up another question . . . will you be able to read your files in one of the free Office-type programs when Office 365 stops working?

    Oh, my! You get a subscription to SkyDrive where your files will reside . . . which will most likely terminate with your subscription to Office. Oops!

    Somebody help! I need to stop my overactive imagination. Or is it overactive at all?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    What happens if you decide not to keep subscribing to Office after the first, second or third year (or any year), will Office 365 stop working?
    The software goes into read only mode.


    For some people, Office 365 will make no sense at all. And Microsoft still sells standalone copies of this software for this very reason. For others, Office 365 can save them money. You have to evaluate and do what is best.

    Anybody ever take up a "utility" company on a budget plan. Instead of paying for what you actually use, you pay a monthly fee that is the same from month to month. It's a subscription more or less based on your usage. In some months, you spend less than you might if you paid for exactly what you used. In other months, you spend more when your usage is lower.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Everything you say is true, Robot. However, there are some of us who just do not want to go that route. Here's why I don't.

    1. By now, I'm pretty familiar with Office 2010 and truly don't have a reason to upgrade. (I did beta test Office 2013, and just don't care for it all that much.)
    2. I have enough Office 2010 legit copies to cover my five computers.
    3. I was in on SkyDrive when it was 7 gigs for free. When it went commercial, I was offered and accepted 25 gigs for free.
    4. With the ribbon, the learning curve for each new version of Office will be pretty steep for some.
    5. My savings? Hmmmm, you're good at the math, so you do it.

    And those are only my reasons. I don't speak for anyone else at all. As I said in the beginning, I agree with you and would certainly take the Office 365 option if I wanted to upgrade.
    I know. I'm speaking to the general audience the cost and other benefits of Office 365 over the plain 2013.

    The ribbon in 2013 is just the same as in 2010, the only thing so far that's really different is the Backstage view, or in 2013 referred to as the Start Screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    What happens if you decide not to keep subscribing to Office after the first, second or third year (or any year), will Office 365 stop working?
    The software goes into read only mode.


    For some people, Office 365 will make no sense at all. And Microsoft still sells standalone copies of this software for this very reason. For others, Office 365 can save them money. You have to evaluate and do what is best.

    Anybody ever take up a "utility" company on a budget plan. Instead of paying for what you actually use, you pay a monthly fee that is the same from month to month. It's a subscription more or less based on your usage. In some months, you spend less than you might if you paid for exactly what you used. In other months, you spend more when your usage is lower.
    You have a 30 day grace period to get your copy going again. THEN, it goes into read only mode, basically like how some preinstalled trials of Office worked.

    But if you have the choice to pay 10 dollars one month to use it, then again three years later. But still, 365 still seems to be better cost effective wise as by then, you can upgrade to Office 2016 for free over 2013. Pick and choose basically.

    The comparison I make here is a contract cell phone plan over prepaid. With contracted plans, you pay a certain amount and the same amount every month. It's generally pretty steep if you're on an individual account, and you will get overages on data if you go overboard. On prepaid, you pay literally whatever per month, and when you feel like it. By the end, it ends up being far less than using a contract plan.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Office 2013 retail is tied to 1 machine forever
Related Threads
I just installed a copy of Office 2013 on a Pc (actually Win7) that already had Office 2010 on it. I was having problems getting an Exchange logon working and for some reason, upgrading to 2013 fixed the problem. I am working with 32-bit in both cases. The copy of Office 2013 is working great....
upgraded to 2013 I told it to remove 2010 and install 2013 durning the install my nvidia drivers kept stopped responding. this problem stopped after office 2013 was installed and updated. and later I found out my vmware installation was messed up and missing files. was working before. ...
Any idea when Office 2013 will be available for download / upgrade? Thanks!
Source: Office News - Office 2013 and Office 365 installations and transferability
Read more at source: Bing rolls out five apps for Office 365 and Office 2013 | Microsoft - CNET News
hi guys, well i just installed office 2010 and during install you get the option to click for the free Office 2013 download. Office 2013 is far more interesting dan 2007 or 2010. Jeff
Well i made the mistake to install Office 2013 X64 from a previous download. The pc from my wife says valid for another 57 days, mine says activate before 27/11/2012 because i did not redownlad Office 2013. How can i overcome this? reinstalling Office 2013 does not change this. thanks ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook