Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Office 2013 retail is tied to 1 machine forever

  1. #31


    Posts : 19
    Windows7 / 8 / WHS / WHS 2011


    wow so if one really needed to purchase the OS and Windows for 2 desktops and 3 laptops in their house.. they could be better off just getting an MSDN subscription????

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by TeleFragger View Post
    wow so if one really needed to purchase the OS and Windows for 2 desktops and 3 laptops in their house.. they could be better off just getting an MSDN subscription????
    Perhaps you meant TechNet. MSDN is significantly more expensive. And technically, TechNet is only for evaluation, it is not designed to be run full time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 19
    Windows7 / 8 / WHS / WHS 2011


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleFragger View Post
    wow so if one really needed to purchase the OS and Windows for 2 desktops and 3 laptops in their house.. they could be better off just getting an MSDN subscription????
    Perhaps you meant TechNet. MSDN is significantly more expensive. And technically, TechNet is only for evaluation, it is not designed to be run full time.

    nah I was thinking MSDN.. but I thought the price was A LOT cheaper than that.. $6k now for the one that includes office.. ummmm WOW...

    Buy an MSDN Subscription
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Iirc that was a High Court decision initially brought re oem os installation.

    The EU is a but more enlightened than other places, perhaps.


    Quote Originally Posted by NiFu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
    The wording in the license agreement is there to protect Microsoft and its rights to it's products, and is very restrictive towards the end user. Exceptions to the license agreement can be made by Microsoft at any time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Well that is not what the EULA says, it's not what all the tech sites say, it's not what the Microsoft forums say, etc.
    In Germany it's not allowed to bind standard software to hardware and so Microsoft German press speaker Frank Mihm-Gebauer says: Because of special laws German customer can natural transfer their Office 2013 to another PC without any restrictions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 772
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    If your Windows and Office installations are in a Virtual Machine, can you not run the VM on any physical hardware and host OS?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 19
    Windows7 / 8 / WHS / WHS 2011


    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    If your Windows and Office installations are in a Virtual Machine, can you not run the VM on any physical hardware and host OS?
    im new here so been treading light..
    to me.. if it is tied to 1 machine.. I feel you should be able to run it in a VM..

    however I keep reading all the debates.. I get that the license is tied to 1 machine now... however.. (playing both sides)..
    you CAN install it on more that one machine.. the entire debate is the legality not the physical aspect... so I get the whole.. Microsoft doesn't want you to.. they want you to buy more.. but you can install it on multiples.....there is no physical item stopping you from doing so....

    im just saying....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by TeleFragger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    If your Windows and Office installations are in a Virtual Machine, can you not run the VM on any physical hardware and host OS?
    im new here so been treading light..
    to me.. if it is tied to 1 machine.. I feel you should be able to run it in a VM..

    however I keep reading all the debates.. I get that the license is tied to 1 machine now... however.. (playing both sides)..
    you CAN install it on more that one machine.. the entire debate is the legality not the physical aspect... so I get the whole.. Microsoft doesn't want you to.. they want you to buy more.. but you can install it on multiples.....there is no physical item stopping you from doing so....

    im just saying....
    Um yes, it has to activate and will refuse to do so. Thus not allowing multiple installs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 772
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    ...there is no physical item stopping you from doing so...
    Activation?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I have to say several things:

    No one is really running vista these days as even Windows 8 is slowing encroaching on that marketshare. Microsoft secretly hates it and wants to get rid of it as it is literally a fail for them and something they want to pave over. This is also similar to what they've done with xp, not porting over IE 9, not building Office 2013 for it, and I think a couple of other things as a) in technological years it is a dead cat and b) it's not terribly secure as a system and Office 2013 would simply look disturbing on xp in my opinion.

    Doing the claculations, Office 365 is a better deal than just 2013. If you buy the latest version that gets released every few years, you end up saving considerable money with the new price structure. The Office apps that come with the 365 Home Premium version seems to be the same as Office 2013 Professional Plus, which retails for 400 dollars. Office 365 Home Premium is that for 100 dollars a year, or 10 dollars a month (which I bet would be real nice for students as they probably would only use the software certain months out of the year) along with 20 gigs of SkyDrive storage which would be 410 dollars with 2013. With 365, it seems you will also be upgraded to the latest version of Office for free. So in three years, 300 dollars for the equivalent of 2013 Pro Plus and the separate SkyDrive storage which would be 410. One hundred and ten dollars of release cycle savings. So when comes time for Office 2016, you'd still need to use Office 2013 Pro Plus for an extra year before you get that benefit of 365, THEN pay the 400 dollars again to upgrade to 2016. Except 365 allows for 5 PCs whereas you'd have to pay 2,000 dollars for the same with Office 2013 Pro Plus, so actually, your savings would end up being 1,700 dollars per release cycle of three years if you use the 5 PCs.

    So basically, using 365 allows you to use the software on a monthly basis, or year long basis; gives you 20 gigs of extra SkyDrive storage over the base 7 gigs, you get the latest version for free, and you get the whole Office suite as well. All in all, 110 dollars of savings. Seems legit I'd say. There isn't much of a rational argument against it as the software is natively installed on the PC, for five of them, documents can either be saved to SkyDrive or natively on the hard drive, and you get settings and custom dictionaries transferred over as well as SkyDrive documents. Faster, easier, better, and cost effective, along with preventing piracy to an extent.

    One must not underestimate Microsoft, when it comes to business, they KNOW what they're do for real!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Office 2013 retail is tied to 1 machine forever
Related Threads
I just installed a copy of Office 2013 on a Pc (actually Win7) that already had Office 2010 on it. I was having problems getting an Exchange logon working and for some reason, upgrading to 2013 fixed the problem. I am working with 32-bit in both cases. The copy of Office 2013 is working great....
upgraded to 2013 I told it to remove 2010 and install 2013 durning the install my nvidia drivers kept stopped responding. this problem stopped after office 2013 was installed and updated. and later I found out my vmware installation was messed up and missing files. was working before. ...
Any idea when Office 2013 will be available for download / upgrade? Thanks!
Source: Office News - Office 2013 and Office 365 installations and transferability
Read more at source: Bing rolls out five apps for Office 365 and Office 2013 | Microsoft - CNET News
hi guys, well i just installed office 2010 and during install you get the option to click for the free Office 2013 download. Office 2013 is far more interesting dan 2007 or 2010. Jeff
Well i made the mistake to install Office 2013 X64 from a previous download. The pc from my wife says valid for another 57 days, mine says activate before 27/11/2012 because i did not redownlad Office 2013. How can i overcome this? reinstalling Office 2013 does not change this. thanks ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook