Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 not saving autorotate of images in gallery/viewer apps

  1. #1

    Windows 8 not saving autorotate of images in gallery/viewer apps


    Hey all

    i had a bunch of images of a chest of drawers i wanted to sell. On my windows 7 PC all the previews showed the images sideways (landscape when they needed to be viewed in portrait). this is not a problem - expected behavior.

    On the windows 8 PC all the images appeared portrait and in the correct orientation. images looked perfect. i understand that windows 8 reads the exif data and autorotates the images on previews and in the galleries. a neat trick.

    On the windows 8 PC i put an ad on the website that i wanted to sell the drawers, and when i selected the images they previewed portrait in the file browser too. when uploaded the images all came out sideways (landscape) on the website.

    this might seem like user error or a rudimentary problem at first, and trust me i have many years as a system admin under my belt, it is going to cause many problems of a similar nature for every user that touches it.

    Windows 8 leads you to believe that your images are correctly oriented firstly, and then does not provide an easy way to adjust and save them even if you do know that they need to be adjusted. even in the windows photo viewer on the desktop (non metro viewer) you can rotate an image as much as you like with the buttons and it will not auto save it like it does in Win7.

    In Win7 you could see that the image needs adjustment and its a good prompt for you to action, so you open it, rotate it, and it is automatically saved by the photo viewer so then whatever you do with it, it will be oriented correctly.

    what i find absolutely crazy is that windows knows the image needs to be rotated, but does not save the image after it autorotates it, so it lulls you into a false sense of security. does anyone have any experience with this or found a solution?

    thanks in advance

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2
    windows 8


    I am having the same problem. Everytime I put in my SD card it auto rotates all my pictures which is a nice feature if it saved them that way. When I go to burn them on a disc or upload them somewhere they are the wrong way. I can't even tell which pictures I need to rotate because they are already done. I have searched everywhere even Microsofts site and they have nothing. I can't believe that more people aren't having this problem. Have you found a solution to it yet?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Hey mate, nothing yet but win8 is a secondary PC for me and I barely use it I hate it so much.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2
    windows 8


    yea this is a new PC and I am feeling the same way. I am really not happy so far.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8

    I have the same problem on Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Quintin79 View Post
    Hey all

    i had a bunch of images of a chest of drawers i wanted to sell. On my windows 7 PC all the previews showed the images sideways (landscape when they needed to be viewed in portrait). this is not a problem - expected behavior.

    On the windows 8 PC all the images appeared portrait and in the correct orientation. images looked perfect. i understand that windows 8 reads the exif data and autorotates the images on previews and in the galleries. a neat trick.

    On the windows 8 PC i put an ad on the website that i wanted to sell the drawers, and when i selected the images they previewed portrait in the file browser too. when uploaded the images all came out sideways (landscape) on the website.

    this might seem like user error or a rudimentary problem at first, and trust me i have many years as a system admin under my belt, it is going to cause many problems of a similar nature for every user that touches it.

    Windows 8 leads you to believe that your images are correctly oriented firstly, and then does not provide an easy way to adjust and save them even if you do know that they need to be adjusted. even in the windows photo viewer on the desktop (non metro viewer) you can rotate an image as much as you like with the buttons and it will not auto save it like it does in Win7.

    In Win7 you could see that the image needs adjustment and its a good prompt for you to action, so you open it, rotate it, and it is automatically saved by the photo viewer so then whatever you do with it, it will be oriented correctly.

    what i find absolutely crazy is that windows knows the image needs to be rotated, but does not save the image after it autorotates it, so it lulls you into a false sense of security. does anyone have any experience with this or found a solution?

    thanks in advance
    I have the same problem on Windows 8, I don't know what the software developers are thinking, for someone whose suppose to be smart they forget a simple thing, saving the rotated images.
    I spent 2 hours on Microsoft tech support, they took over my computer and did all of this test at the end here is what they gave me. Conversation started at 2:30 before TS took over.


    2:55 PM *****: That's my problem I want the image to be imported sideways Windows 8 is auto rotating it. I want to disable auto rotate.
    2:55 PM *****: You won't be able to view it sideway's because it's auto rotated. but when you view it on Win 7 it will show up sideways.
    2:55 PM Jemuel : Okay *****. Let me check on that for you.


    4:23 PM Jemuel : Thank you for patiently waing.
    4:23 PM Jemuel : I have now find the result of your problem.
    4:25 PM Jemuel : Actually in Windows 8. It will automatically rotate the display of the photo but it will not save the settings. If the picture is taken in a landscape but the picture is supposed to be in portrait. Windows 8 will auto correct the display only but in the EXIF that is save in the picture is still in landscape, that's why when you open it on Windows 7 which do not have the auto correct feature. It will be in a another display.
    4:28 PM ****: That did not solve the problem, how can you stop windows 8 from auto rotating the images. When I'm editing, it's already rotated for me.
    4:29 PM Jemuel : Actually ****, the built in feature of Windows 8 is actually permanent. It was deisgned for Windows 8.
    4:30 PM *****: That suck! Nobody ever thought about well other people might have problems with it. Let's build an off switch.
    4:30 PM Jemuel : Yes *****. I understand your concern.
    4:31 PM Jemuel : Don't Worry I will address this concern of yours to our manager for us to do something about it.

    Pretty much they left me hanging. Does anyone have a fix for this?
    Very frustrating I have to re do all the client's disk. Microsoft Windows 8 is costing me money. I would never recommend this software.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1
    Windows8


    Quote Originally Posted by lifescape99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintin79 View Post
    Hey all

    i had a bunch of images of a chest of drawers i wanted to sell. On my windows 7 PC all the previews showed the images sideways (landscape when they needed to be viewed in portrait). this is not a problem - expected behavior.

    On the windows 8 PC all the images appeared portrait and in the correct orientation. images looked perfect. i understand that windows 8 reads the exif data and autorotates the images on previews and in the galleries. a neat trick.

    On the windows 8 PC i put an ad on the website that i wanted to sell the drawers, and when i selected the images they previewed portrait in the file browser too. when uploaded the images all came out sideways (landscape) on the website.

    this might seem like user error or a rudimentary problem at first, and trust me i have many years as a system admin under my belt, it is going to cause many problems of a similar nature for every user that touches it.

    Windows 8 leads you to believe that your images are correctly oriented firstly, and then does not provide an easy way to adjust and save them even if you do know that they need to be adjusted. even in the windows photo viewer on the desktop (non metro viewer) you can rotate an image as much as you like with the buttons and it will not auto save it like it does in Win7.

    In Win7 you could see that the image needs adjustment and its a good prompt for you to action, so you open it, rotate it, and it is automatically saved by the photo viewer so then whatever you do with it, it will be oriented correctly.

    what i find absolutely crazy is that windows knows the image needs to be rotated, but does not save the image after it autorotates it, so it lulls you into a false sense of security. does anyone have any experience with this or found a solution?

    thanks in advance
    I have the same problem on Windows 8, I don't know what the software developers are thinking, for someone whose suppose to be smart they forget a simple thing, saving the rotated images.
    I spent 2 hours on Microsoft tech support, they took over my computer and did all of this test at the end here is what they gave me. Conversation started at 2:30 before TS took over.


    2:55 PM *****: That's my problem I want the image to be imported sideways Windows 8 is auto rotating it. I want to disable auto rotate.
    2:55 PM *****: You won't be able to view it sideway's because it's auto rotated. but when you view it on Win 7 it will show up sideways.
    2:55 PM Jemuel : Okay *****. Let me check on that for you.


    4:23 PM Jemuel : Thank you for patiently waing.
    4:23 PM Jemuel : I have now find the result of your problem.
    4:25 PM Jemuel : Actually in Windows 8. It will automatically rotate the display of the photo but it will not save the settings. If the picture is taken in a landscape but the picture is supposed to be in portrait. Windows 8 will auto correct the display only but in the EXIF that is save in the picture is still in landscape, that's why when you open it on Windows 7 which do not have the auto correct feature. It will be in a another display.
    4:28 PM ****: That did not solve the problem, how can you stop windows 8 from auto rotating the images. When I'm editing, it's already rotated for me.
    4:29 PM Jemuel : Actually ****, the built in feature of Windows 8 is actually permanent. It was deisgned for Windows 8.
    4:30 PM *****: That suck! Nobody ever thought about well other people might have problems with it. Let's build an off switch.
    4:30 PM Jemuel : Yes *****. I understand your concern.
    4:31 PM Jemuel : Don't Worry I will address this concern of yours to our manager for us to do something about it.

    Pretty much they left me hanging. Does anyone have a fix for this?
    Very frustrating I have to re do all the client's disk. Microsoft Windows 8 is costing me money. I would never recommend this software.
    If you ever solve this problem let me know, I am also very frustrated.... :-(
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8 Enterprise


    Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem yet? I've been searching all over the Internet and I've found only people who are frustrated about the photo issues, but nobody who's discovered a fix. I'm going crazy!!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8


    The same thing has been driving me crazy too....But I've found myself a solution.
    Basically I followed the instructions on the windows.microsoft.com website How to Rotate Photos using Windows Photo Viewer.
    I have found the rotation HAS to been done through Windows Photo Viewer. So if you find that a photo uploads sideways onto another website, just go into Windows Photo Viewer, and rotate it (even if it appears to be correct initially) and then click next. Upload again. Its worked for me every time
    I am now getting used to Windows 8..... and feeling much calmer LOL.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8


    Hi all,

    This stupid function frustrated me too in Windows 8. I kept searching in Windows 8 for a solution but couldn't find one. In the end I installed a third party app called "AutoRotate". With an integrated function in the Windows shell it easily rotates all images in the subfolder. You can download the app here:
    AutoRotate | Photo Tools
    Click on AutoRotate setup in photo tools menu on the right of the screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10

    Ouch! Windows 8 is tricksey with image rotation...


    Just mentioning that this "feature" really had me fooled, too. The Windows Photo Viewer trick I've quoted below helps a little, but it's still hard to figure out which photos are "fixed" and which are "faked." So now I'm opening all photos in Paint.NET before uploading to make sure.

    JP



    Quote Originally Posted by chinatree View Post
    The same thing has been driving me crazy too....But I've found myself a solution.
    Basically I followed the instructions on the windows.microsoft.com website How to Rotate Photos using Windows Photo Viewer.
    I have found the rotation HAS to been done through Windows Photo Viewer. So if you find that a photo uploads sideways onto another website, just go into Windows Photo Viewer, and rotate it (even if it appears to be correct initially) and then click next. Upload again. Its worked for me every time
    I am now getting used to Windows 8..... and feeling much calmer LOL.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 not saving autorotate of images in gallery/viewer apps
Related Threads
When making a slide show with Windows Live Photo Gallery, is it possible to display the tags on the photos? If so, how do you do that? Thanks.
Help, I am extremely frustrated. I downloaded the windows essentials, looking forward to using photo gallery but it will not load. I've had some temporary success when I troubleshoot and open it as a windows 7 program. I save the settings but the next time I open photo gallery it just says loading!...
I was wondering what we can use to tag photos and even more for all the photo editing functions? Is there anything in the desktop mode that it like it?
Hello guys! I have just got windows 8 and I have 220 pictures in 'My pictures' folder. Only 117 are showing. I think i added the rest at later date and for some reason when i access the pictures gallery feature on windows 8 i cannot see the newly added pics. Can someone help me?
Free downloads - Microsoft Windows A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook