Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to keep non metro apps on top of metro UI?

  1. #1


    Posts : 2
    Win 8 Pro

    How to keep non metro apps on top of metro UI?


    Couldn't seem to find an answer to this by searching, apologies if it has been asked in different wording.

    Basically, most apps when I launch them from Metro UI, switches to the standard Desktop and opens it there.

    Is it possible to get them to open over the top of the Metro UI instead? Otherwise it feels like I am using two different OS's at the same time; driving me nuts.

    I don't mind the Metro UI as I use my PC is an HTPC, but it does not feel like my programs are integrated with one another.

    I guess what I'm asking is how can I disable the desktop completely so I only have the Metro UI as the underlying layer?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    I assume you are referring to the new Start Screen. It has tiles for Metro Apps and Desktop Apps. If you click on a Metro App it opens in its own window. When you click on a Desktop App it opens in the Desktop. Its just a big Menu screen.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 354
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V


    Also, given that Windows 8 is still quite new, it may take time for some desktop apps to be re-written for use in the Modern UI (and of course, some apps never will).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by groovetek View Post
    Couldn't seem to find an answer to this by searching, apologies if it has been asked in different wording.

    Basically, most apps when I launch them from Metro UI, switches to the standard Desktop and opens it there.

    Is it possible to get them to open over the top of the Metro UI instead? Otherwise it feels like I am using two different OS's at the same time; driving me nuts.

    I don't mind the Metro UI as I use my PC is an HTPC, but it does not feel like my programs are integrated with one another.

    I guess what I'm asking is how can I disable the desktop completely so I only have the Metro UI as the underlying layer?
    I don't think you can disable the desktop completely.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 354
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V


    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    I don't think you can disable the desktop completely.
    Windows RT?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 22,581
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    I don't think you can disable the desktop completely.
    Windows RT?
    Nope. Windows RT still has the desktop and the usual default programs (Notepad, Paint, Wordpad, etc...) that come included with Windows, but you just can't install desktop apps. Only Metro Store apps.

    Compare Windows 8 Editions
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2
    Win 8 Pro


    Thanks guys; it seems there is no solution.

    All I was hoping for basically is for the Metro UI to stay in the background rather than disappearing when I launch a program that does not have Metro UI integration. As, after I close the app, I have to press the Windows key to get back to Metro UI, which just doesn't seem logical.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    The Metro App is still there. Mouse over the upper left corner and it is there.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit


    It's not as illogical, when you think about Desktop as just another Metro app...

    Quote Originally Posted by groovetek View Post
    Thanks guys; it seems there is no solution.

    All I was hoping for basically is for the Metro UI to stay in the background rather than disappearing when I launch a program that does not have Metro UI integration. As, after I close the app, I have to press the Windows key to get back to Metro UI, which just doesn't seem logical.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

How to keep non metro apps on top of metro UI?
Related Threads
Getting rid of Metro Apps in Software and Apps
Hi I use the excellent Classic Shell on windows 8.1 and love it ! Unfortunately, every now and then Apps try to open files when i double click them. Also the annoying metro "Start screen" is taking over my desktop from time to time. I'd like to know if/how to remove all traces of Metro...
Read more at source: Metro apps renamed Windows Store apps | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
OK, i'd like to make it clear that i'm using the so-called "real" Administrator account that is hidden but can be activated, not a regular account with admin privelidges. At first i was trying to figure out if Metro apps can be used by this account, and it appeared that they cant, but managed to...
How to Install Apps from Store in Windows 8 and 8.1 Like app stores for smartphones and tablets, the Windows Store offers various apps that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download and install to their user account in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT...
How to Allow or Prevent Users to Uninstall Apps from Start in Windows 8 and 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent all or specific users from being able to uninstall apps from the Start screen in Windows 8 and 8.1. You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do...
Too many Metro Apps in Software and Apps
Has anyone noticed what happens when you have more Metro Apps open than can fit in the task list down the left side? With me the screen flashes and the list is cleared and you end up on the start menu. The apps remain open in task manager though but you have to press the tiles to switch to them....
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook